Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gsr swap/trade questions

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr swap/trade questions

Hey guys, new to ht, always been on the site but just decided to finally make an account and post..haha

My buddy just picked up a 92' eg with a gsr swap (b18c1), and i have an ek hb with the stock d16y7. He agreed to trading motors plus some money on my end. (he wants his car as a solid winter beater lol)

I'll try and be as specific as possible, but if i miss something and it needs to be clarified, i'll try my best to do so. We're going to be doing the swap hopefully this weekend, but we will be doing it ourselves. Another friend of mine knows cars, as i'm also eager to learn more, and am comfortable working on cars.

I've been searching around, and either am not understanding what certain people are saying, and am looking for some clarifications.

When swapping the motors, what exactly do i take from his car and what does he take from mine?

for example;

do we keep our own motor mounts?
shift linkage, we both need to get different ones?
ecu (a bit of an issue due to the fact i'm not sure if its an OBD1/2)
how about axles? do i have to get b series - em1/si axles?
(i swear i thought i had more questions...but as i'm writing this, i feel like i forgot all of them haha)

Now we are both pretty conservative on money, and would like the most effective but cheapest way to do the swap. I understand (and i hope my friend does too) that you have to pay to play.

All help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance as well!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: gsr swap/trade questions

Keep your motor mounts - you'll need the rear T bracket from an EM1, and he'll need a stock T bracket for his car.

You'll both need shift linkages for your own engines and chassis'. No swapping.

Assuming your car is stock, it's OBD2. His car is more than likely OBD1. The cheapest way would be to trade motors, harnesses, and ECUs. The harness swap obviously won't be easy. You can get adapters for your harness - I'm not so sure about your friend, though.

You'll both need to buy axles.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotcha, which most makes sense..lol i've just been trying to find the correct answers and get all mixed up from different answers. thanks for the quick response!!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:50 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This is not going to be a direct swap in any sense of the term. You'll want his entire engine, transmission and axles, except you'll need a 99-00 SI T bracket and timing cover mount. Keep your both respective wiring harnesses because they're not swappable (1 piece vs 2 piece). Plus your going to to have to figure a way to make the injectors, alternator and distributor work with adapters or getting their OBD1 counterpart (they're not plug and play). Also the ecu isn't plug and play either you're going to need an adapter harness for that too. Some additional engine harness wiring is required on your side as well but finding an ex engine harness for your year civic will help cut down on some of that.

For the dseries swap I'm not going to get into that but it's pretty similar to the above. Get ready to spend some money on both sides.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this definitely isn't going to be an easy swap to put the d series in the eg, as there is no obd1 ecu available for that motor, you will have to use the obd2 ecu, which in turn will throw a bunch of check engine lights for EVAP, amongst other things. the physical swap is another issue in itself, as he'll need to find eg d series rear transmission bracket and timing belt mount.

i honestly wouldn't bother with swapping the eg with the y7 personally, as it takes so much work and extra parts for no real gain. he would be better off getting a d15 or d16z6, as those are piece of cake swaps.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You can use the y7 with intake manifolds for pretty much any d series 92-95 engine including injectors. You could run the P06 ECU and be fine. At the end of the day kydens right it'll be easier to find a 92-95 complete engine and ecu. He can use your dseries shift linkage and axles. Sounds like a big project for both of you.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the responses guys, really do appreciate it. I'm gonna let my boy know, maybe we can find a d15xx from the junk yard..haha