Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR swap questions for my 95 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR swap questions for my 95 coupe

I am considering purchasing a 95-96 GSR. i don't have a lot of info about it, but a friend is goind to go look at it tomorrow for me while i am at work.

He wants 1200 for the whole car. I am not quite sure on the yr model, but do have some questions.

If it is new enough to be OBD-II, how hard would it be to convert it to OBD-I like my 95 Dx? I know the mounts have to be changed for the motor to sit properly, but are there any other concerns that i need to be aware of?

The car has a little over 100K i am told. I know it has been autocrossed, and prolly rough ridden. The interior is in great shape, the motor is fine, but i have no idea about anything else. I know as far as the engine is concerned, it has had some skunk2 cams, cam gears, header, exhaust, and a cold air. i am unsure of the rest of everything, but will update as soon as i find out something.

Sorry, but noob question here: what kinda times would i run in the 1320 with this swap?

Are there any chronic issues with this type of swap, or with this engine?

Any tips/suggestions, as i will be doing the swap with the help of a few friends...

Thanks everyone

Michael
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR swap questions for my 95 coupe (fearthegerbil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fearthegerbil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it is new enough to be OBD-II, how hard would it be to convert it to OBD-I like my 95 Dx? I know the mounts have to be changed for the motor to sit properly, but are there any other concerns that i need to be aware of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it is a USDM wiring harness, it is will be plug and play (for the most part). you will have to get a OBD1 P72 (GSR ECU) for the easiest and best way. You will have to wire up Vtec, knock sensor, and IAB. IF you use the integra motor mounts, you will not have a problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fearthegerbil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The car has a little over 100K i am told. I know it has been autocrossed, and prolly rough ridden. The interior is in great shape, the motor is fine, but i have no idea about anything else. I know as far as the engine is concerned, it has had some skunk2 cams, cam gears, header, exhaust, and a cold air. i am unsure of the rest of everything, but will update as soon as i find out something. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would replace Timing belt, dizzy cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, and POV. check everything before you put it in and see if it needs to be replaced.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fearthegerbil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Are there any chronic issues with this type of swap, or with this engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, some people have trouble wiring up IAB.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fearthegerbil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any tips/suggestions, as i will be doing the swap with the help of a few friends...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, bring lots and lots of beer or soda. Bring a breaker bar for the axle nuts and a 8mm punch for the shift linkage pin.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 PM

thanks for the advice. I should know this but what is the POV and the IAB? don't know why this excapes me, but gonna ask before i forget it completely
Old 09-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (fearthegerbil)

sorry, PCV, Positive Crankpressure Valve and IAB = secondary butterflies.

on me
Old 09-30-2003, 09:48 PM

thought i was right, but wanted to make sure.