Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gsr into obdIIa ek chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gsr into obdIIa ek chassis

ok guys im kind of have a trouble figuring out something on the gsr harness

the gsr had a harness on it that looks fine and plugs are all plugged in exept the
cfk(no sensor) which makes me beileve the engine is obdI. the head says built in 95 also so its obdI with a obdII harness.

This works out great and all because i can just run the same harness and plug the ecu in. well the p72 ecu has 3 plug spots and 1 blank spot pictured below(top ecu is my ecu like)
http://support.moates.net/wp-content...ackof4ecus.jpg
The harness only has 2 plugs and then the green plug that goes into the plug above the ecu(not in the ecu)

is the plug missing or can the car run like this fine. The harness looks factory without much hacked up wires if any.

like this harness below pictured, but the biggest plug(blue) is not on the gsr harness i got. I was thinking the dude must have been running an obdI ecu. but im not sure. this is a buddies car so I didnt buy the engine or know much about it.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/o...x/S5000800.jpg

Last edited by v8killaz; 05-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: gsr into obdIIa ek chassis

sorry i'm a little confused, just to verify...
so you have an obd2 harness on a obd1 car? How did it plug up to the distributor?
And you say it only has two plugs going to the ecu?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You must use your EK engine harness to run the GSR engine in your car. It's the only way to do it without doing a totally custom engine and chassis wiring harness. You will have to extend some wires here and there, and probably change a plug or 2 (IAT sensor plug comes to mind). Otherwise, you're looking at a huge job making up a custom wiring harness.

Oh, and the stamp on the GSR head doesn't mean it's OBD1. OBD2 cars came out in '96, and guess when you could buy a '96 at the dealer: in August of '95, which means the head could conceivably have been cast (the date stamp is cast, not stamped per se) in early '95 sometime.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gsrauto98
sorry i'm a little confused, just to verify...
so you have an obd2 harness on a obd1 car? How did it plug up to the distributor?
And you say it only has two plugs going to the ecu?
yeah dizzy and alternator were converted i can see it
and yes 2 plugs which should be 3 plugs i check ed the other plug is nowhere to be found
Old 05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
You must use your EK engine harness to run the GSR engine in your car. It's the only way to do it without doing a totally custom engine and chassis wiring harness. You will have to extend some wires here and there, and probably change a plug or 2 (IAT sensor plug comes to mind). Otherwise, you're looking at a huge job making up a custom wiring harness.

Oh, and the stamp on the GSR head doesn't mean it's OBD1. OBD2 cars came out in '96, and guess when you could buy a '96 at the dealer: in August of '95, which means the head could conceivably have been cast (the date stamp is cast, not stamped per se) in early '95 sometime.
it is an ek harness on the gsr because its not the stock harness, its an obdIIb harness on it which is identical to my obdIIa civic harness. they are both 1 peice design only thing stopping me is the plug is not on the harness and i dont see it anywhere, why is it not there its not cut off. do they come like that with only one plug(i dont think so)

and im not going to use an obdI harness the harness is obdII on the gsr and going into an obdII car so its fine as far as that.

also about the engine being obdI, it doesnt have a cfk sensor
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then it's likely a JDM motor. They didn't have the CKF. What's the engine stamp say for engine code?

My memory is failing me now. I'm pretty sure you're going to have to use the engine harness from the year of your chassis for it to work properly.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, not a jdm engine b18c1
Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the CKF sensor you will have to do this...

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm
Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently swapping a 1995 LS motor in my 2000 ek (DX). Now I am in the process of installing the DX harness on the B18B but I am confused about the wiring of the dizzy. The disctributor has two plugs on the OBd1 LS motor and 1 plug on the Obd2b DX civic. Seems like theres nowhere for me to hook up the blue wire (rpm pickup) from the dizzy. so that means my car wont read rpms?

Also I can use the trick from GSRauto`s link and keep running OBD2 right?

I can run my obd1 ls swap with an obd2b ecu right?