Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR into my 93 CX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR into my 93 CX

Just want to be prepared before i actually begin with the whole swap.
Hopefully you guys can really help me out here.

So this weekend im taking out my gsr out of my smashed 91 crx.
I just got a 1993 Cx and want to swap everything over.
My motor is a jdm 95 b18c1 gsr 0bd1

Do the stock gsr motor mounts fit the EG?
Or do i have to go out and get some after market motor mounts?

Now the wiring...
Is everything other then the vtec and knock sensor plug and play?
Or am i going to have another nightmare like i did with the crx?
Can someone hook me up with a link that illustrates the vtec and KS wire up?

oh yea, i also had complete DA front and back brakes for my crx,
can those rear disc, well with the whole trailing arms be swapped over onto the hatch?

Hopefully i can get some responses to this. Thanks guys
If you know of other things i should look out for, plz give me a heads up on them.

Thanks again
Old 10-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: GSR into my 93 CX (acun6699)

you probably arent gonna get an answer. because this is asked way to much. but look in the FAQ's and itll answer most of your questions..
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acun6699 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now the wiring...
Is everything other then the vtec and knock sensor plug and play?
Or am i going to have another nightmare like i did with the crx?
Can someone hook me up with a link that illustrates the vtec and KS wire up?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're going to continue to use your CX engine harness of course.
You just need to add VTEC, VTEC Oil, Knock and IAB wiring - unless you're using a chipped ECU w/o IABs and knock...

Here's the Subharness Rywire carries for the swap:
http://rywire.com/store/9295-c....html

Here's a ECU pinout for the new sensors if you're going to make the subharness yourself:
http://rywire.com/store/faqdes...id=30
You don't need EGR, and you don't have a P13 =P it's the only instruction i had uploaded with IAB.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR into my 93 CX (NikoZai)

Thanks a lot
That clears up so much.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:12 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acun6699 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh yea, i also had complete DA front and back brakes for my crx,
can those rear disc, well with the whole trailing arms be swapped over onto the hatch?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes.

You can also just swap the disc hub assemblies onto the Civic trailing arms, rather than swapping the entire arms.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's gonna be a nightmare like ur CRX. I would run an EX Harness, the CX doesn't have VTEC so it's not wired in, so you can wire it into the ECU or (what I would do) buy a 92-95 Si/Ex harness and use that instead. Everything will be plug 'n play.

As far as the mounts go, if you're using regular B series mounts in the CRX (I've never done a CRX so I don't know what u use to put a B series engine in there), then yes, the same mounts will work in your CX.

I would use a P72 ECU though, not a chipped P28 because with the P72 it's already wired up for everything - - <u>there is no knock sensor</u> -- ODB-I cars don't have it. Though the secondary butterfly on the GSR, VTEC crossover, VTEC through the ECU, all that crap is done stock with a P72 ECU, so it'd be better for stock purposes in my opinion opposed to a chipped P28...unless you plan on tuning later.

So summarized:
- Ex/Si harness (92-95)
- Regular B series mounts (or hasports or something if you feel like you want it more stiff)
- P72 ECU

And EVERYTHING should be plug 'n play.

I don't know anything about the brakes/trailing arms deal so that's for somebody else to tell ya about.

Good luck on the swap
Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the swap of the gs-r into your cx is simple if you have all the right parts.
first, you need 94 and up integra mounts from the both driver, trans, and rear and t-mount.
you need 94 and up integra shift linkage.

the wiring ins not as bad as people think it would be. all you got to do is wire in the vtec sensor, presure switch and ground the pressure switch. i do not have all the wiring diagram, but hybrid-honda. com has the pin layout for the ecu. their daigram are from the ecu pin point of view not the wire harness. the knock sensor, dual butterfly swtich, and other sensor for gs-r ecu if you are using it. the last issue the the O2 sensor. the cx has a 1 wire O2 sensor while the gs-r has a 4 wires O2.

the O2 sensor is simple. you need a signal wire and heating from the original harness. the two wire are in the stock harness. just look up where the two wire are from ecu pinout from online. the other two wire from the O2 is ground and a power swtich source.

make sure all the sensor plugs are plug in right in the back of the manifold, if you don't, you will fry part of the ecu. it happen already...

good luck on your swap. take your time and everything will be easy.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's gonna be a nightmare like ur CRX. I would run an EX Harness, the CX doesn't have VTEC so it's not wired in, so you can wire it into the ECU or (what I would do) buy a 92-95 Si/Ex harness and use that instead. Everything will be plug 'n play.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong, dude.

Even if he uses an EX harness, he will still have to run wires because the civic's main harness(runs from the engine harness to the ecu) still isnt wired for vtec.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As far as the mounts go, if you're using regular B series mounts in the CRX (I've never done a CRX so I don't know what u use to put a B series engine in there), then yes, the same mounts will work in your CX.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Crx doesnt use stock B series mounts. He will need all integra mounts or a combination of integra and civic mounts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would use a P72 ECU though, not a chipped P28 because with the P72 it's already wired up for everything - - <u>there is no knock sensor</u> -- ODB-I cars don't have it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, wrong again.
Obd1 GSR does use a knock sensor.

So summarized:
- Ex/Si harness (92-95)
- Regular B series mounts (or hasports or something if you feel like you want it more stiff)
- P72 ECU

And EVERYTHING should be plug 'n play.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, no.
EX/SI harness is not wired for IAB(butterflies) or Knock sensor. So he will have to run those wires from the sensors to the ecu, in addition to the vtec wires from the engine harness to the ecu.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slopoke)

lol, yea... i was thinking about all that stuff. i still need to wire up some stuff wit an ex harness. Ive been doin a lot of research, and im comin up wit some good stuff.

so far, ive come to the conclusion that i need:

-Integra mounts
-rywire cx to gsr harness (makes the wiring a lil easier i guess)
-integra shift linkage

i think thats a good chunk.

Tell me wat else i should be lookin into

thanks