Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR into EG parts list

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR into EG parts list

Hi guys,

Hate to ask the question but I just want to make sure my list is right. I did do quite a bit of searching and this is what I have come up with but I just want to make sure this is all correct.

Car is a 1995 eg hatch si the gsr is obd2a usdm

things that are needed to make the swap work:

gsr motor and tranny
gsr intake manifold and exhaust manifold
gsr ecu
gsr axles including intermediate shafts
gsr shift linkage
all gsr accessories (distributor, starter, alternator etc..)
gsr a/c bracket
integra throttle cable (yes/no?)
b series mounts

since it's an si model I will only need to add 2 wires as VTEC is already wired.

Am I missing any parts needed to make this work?

I appreciate all the help

Modified by Mr_ET at 9:41 AM 3/20/2008
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR into EG parts list (Mr_ET)

Let's see...

If you want to use A/C, you'll need a Del Sol VTEC A/C bracket.

I've used the orignial throttle cable in 5th Gen civics with no issues.

You'll have to add a wire for the knock sensor, and two wires for the IAB. If you are going to use a GSR engine harness, you can just move a pin on the ECU side and take care of the IAB. If you want to use the EVAP Purge valve, you'll have to add wiring for that too. It won't throw a code if you don't use it, but you have to have it for stricter emissions inspections.

I just noticed that you have an OBDII engine. All of the sensors and functions on the engine are same as OBDI hold for different harness plugs for the injectors and distributor. Most of the OBDII differences are on the ECU side. What ECU are you going to use?

-Alex
Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR into EG parts list (civicgsr)

I think it will be a p72 obd2a ecu.

Would it be a better idea to just chip the p28 and burn a stock p72 map?

I know on the ecu side because it's obd2 I will need a jumper harness.

What do you guys usually do for those injector plugs and dizzy plug?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr_ET &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it will be a p72 obd2a ecu.

Would it be a better idea to just chip the p28 and burn a stock p72 map?

I know on the ecu side because it's obd2 I will need a jumper harness.

What do you guys usually do for those injector plugs and dizzy plug?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have the harness that comes with that engine you shouldn't need to worry about the distributor or injectors. However, if you don't and are going to use an OBDI harness, I would suggest selling the injectors and dist and picking up OBDI versions.

As for the ECU, you have more to worry about than a conversion harness. First thing that comes to mind is the second O2 sensor. The car nor harness has one. You're much better off running an OBDI ECU for simplicity's sake.

Also, you need to get the integra heater hose that goes from the firewall to the hard line on the engine right under the throttle body. You can get the civic hose on there, but it will be kinked. Optional but recommended.

-Alex
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just finished my EG / GSR everything was OBD1. Little things NOT listed that no one tells you.

1)You will need a little bit longer return fuel line hose. USE A RAZOR BLADE TO CUT OLD HOSE OFF DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT OFF!!

2)Your heater hose will not be long enough (I just used same size from a local auto shop) USE A RAZOR BLADE TO CUT OLD HOSE OFF DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT OFF!!

3)I also used GSR throtle cable. B/c the D15z6 has extra parts that you dont need b/c of the routing?

4)Another thing I noticed and would have done different is for the headers if your using anything like stock you should be able to use stock GSR Cat. (I bought Ebay headers and wish I had not, fit met was a bitch b/c no cat would fit the headers, I had take it to muffler place to make up a test pipe. $65)

Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR into EG parts list (HatchbackSqueegee)

You don't really need to use a razor to cut the line. Use a pair of pliers, squeeze the hose firmly but not too hard, and twist. It will break the bond and the hose will slide right off. This trick is excellent if you need to reuse hoses. the only time I recommend cutting the hose is when you are removing hoses from the heater core. The brass fittings are very soft and are very easy to damage.

Through many swaps, I've had a chance to experiment with different exhaust manifolds. The complete USDM GSR manifold and cat make it too short to reach the stock location. JDM GSR manifolds will reach the stock cat (although you should get a larger diameter car anyway). B16 or B18B downpipes will also give you the length that you need to reach the stock cat. Just FYI.

-Alex
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR into EG parts list

hey guys sorry for bumping the thread but i just finished gsr in ej1. I used my Si harness and all i had to run was the knock sensor wire. there wasnt any other plug not connected to anything after i finished connecting Si harness to JDM GSR. The IAB i believe is just right behind/top of the intake manifold and that was plugeg with my harness. i havent tried to turn it on yetkuz i didnt hvae the fluid. tonight will be the big day. can you advise me why this is like this. This is a 93 si coupe from canada, dunno if this is a difference