Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR block b16 Head (poor man type R)

Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR block b16 Head (poor man type R)

I want to do the swap in my car since I already have a b16 in my teggy! I was wondering if I can use my b16 pistons in the GSR block... what other things would I have to buy to be able to do this swap... and would it be easier and cheaper to do LSV? and would it be more reliable than the LSV?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: GSR block b16 Head (poor man type R)

yes you can use the pistons in the GSR block as long as they both have the same bore ( aka one has NOT been overbored )

both stock bores are 81mm. Then you can use everything from the gsr ( waterpump, timming belt , etc ) and you're set .

I would recommend getting the full bottom end. so you have the RODs and crank. then if you want to swap your Pistons do it, or this is a good time to increase the compression with some type R pistons or pistons of your choice.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man big help! second question, would this be cheaper than going LSvtec and less of a hastle and if so is it more reliable?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you dont have to run a ls-vtec kit and dont have to buy the wires to hook up vtec nor buy a vtec ecu, you can always use the block you got and change the pistons keep the same rods and put a gsr head straight on and your gone. use the b16 head gasket
Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16= no torque! I want torque
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teg-9
thanks man big help! second question, would this be cheaper than going LSvtec and less of a hastle and if so is it more reliable?
YES, it would definitely be cheaper than it would to go LS/VTEC. You have to spend lots of $$$ to do it right. The LS rod bolts won't hold up and will need to be replaced with ARPs (which means new bearings, and since your crankshaft is coming out, you might as well get new pistons and / or rings, rehone, complete gasket set, etc etc plus the cost of machine work), and you will also have to replace the oil pump with one for a GSR (and to combat cavitation, a GSR / Type R water pump). And don't forget the LS/VTEC oil line kit which means you need to buy the tap that is not included in the kit to tap the head for the allen plug. These things are all essential to go LS/VTEC, and the price adds up quick! Believe me, you are getting answers from somebody who has done it (I went B20/VTEC)! I even went the extra mile and got a GSR girdle, pickup tube, windage tray and oil pan. If cost is an issue, don't go Frankenstein unless you have the money.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can someone give me exact directions, steps, and things I have to buy and do to go poor man's type r!!!!! I think thats the way Im going to go! also an estimate of how much it might cost me!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Can someone give me exact directions, steps, and things I have to buy and do to go poor man's type r!!!!! I think thats the way Im going to go! also an estimate of how much it might cost me!
b16 head 500 bux
keep your stock oil pump and water pump and timing belt, keep same cams as gsr pretty much just change the head and use the b16 head bolts.

easy breezy
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have the b16a2 head I just need the block! how much will the block cost me?

do I need to buy new ARP head studs?

sorry im a noob
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I already have the b16a2 head I just need the block! how much will the block cost me?

do I need to buy new ARP head studs?

sorry im a noob
no u dont need headstuds but its helpful to have....blocks are roughly 250-500 complete, my buddys sellin a complete gsr block that actually came out of one of my old cars, for 500 bux no head
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would bro but I cant give you that much because then I would have to pay for shipping too bro!

lower the price and Ill do it!

whjy u sellin the block?

does it need to be rehoned?

how many miles?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I would bro but I cant give you that much because then I would have to pay for shipping too bro!

lower the price and Ill do it!

whjy u sellin the block?

does it need to be rehoned?

how many miles?
not my motor bro i cant mess with the price, its a 99 gsr motor it wuz in a ef civic they took it out and built a b20 vtec, the motor has less then 100k miles.. so he used the head for the b20 vtec..

block is perfect slap a head on and go
Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

100K? that means I would prolly have to take it to a machine shop to get it rehoned and bored
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDr
yes you can use the pistons in the GSR block as long as they both have the same bore ( aka one has NOT been overbored )

both stock bores are 81mm. Then you can use everything from the gsr ( waterpump, timming belt , etc ) and you're set .

I would recommend getting the full bottom end. so you have the RODs and crank. then if you want to swap your Pistons do it, or this is a good time to increase the compression with some type R pistons or pistons of your choice.
Its a good thing you would reccomend he get the "full bottom end" since he can't use the B16 rods in the B18C block anyways...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wanna REALLY do yourself a favor? Sell your head and just buy a GSR longblock! It's a lot easier than trying to build a poorman's Type R (an UNDERPOWERED GSR). You can get good money for that head and then buy a motor from H motors that you know will work, instead of spending money on a head gasket set, head studs, having to do your valve lash, etc....

And forget about swapping in B16 pistons because if you do that, your block will have to come apart, and at that point you might as well break the bank and go all out and get a B20Z bottom end.

Think about it. You can keep looking for a GSR block, or you can just get a full GSR motor and have an extra 10 hp. To me, the poor man's Type R is pointless! Its a B16 with extra torque. It's a step up from a B16 but still slower than a GSR, although its a lot less expensive than going LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure if my motor is legit, thats why Im trying to get rid of it and get the gsr block! does the head have vin numbers on it?? if it doesnt I will sell it I dont care!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my budget right now is around $600, I know for a fact my motor is not legit.... I found this out later on after I bought the car, when I bought the car I had no idea about the honda game but now I know Im screwed... what should I do????????
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

either sell the car and keep your mouth shut about it, or go to the police about it. the problem is that if you go to the police, they will probably confiscate the engine and do nothing about the guy who sold you the car
Old 02-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car isnt stolen, found out head has no vins... Im gonna swap internals in tranny into ls tranny and swap block... Ill be good!