Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges!

Old 04-29-2003, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges!

My father is telling me I should look into an "oil pressure" gauge for my Hybrid. He's always told me "it's too late once the oil light comes on".

Besides the oil pressure gauge what other gauges should I consider? I was looking through a thread and one guy also had "air/fuel ratio".

I'm not even sure if I'll go with the A-pillar mount or something like this:

HX_Guy - car

I am thinking if I go with the A-pillar I probably want 3 gauges and with one like in the pic above 2 gauges (Duh!).

What are some important points of the car that would be good to monitor?

I have a GSR gauge cluster I will be installing shortly.

93 Cx / 98 GSR motor
Old 04-29-2003, 06:41 AM

Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Oil Temp
Air/Fuel or EGT if you can afford it
Fuel Pressure ( under hood maybe for tuning)
The fuel pressure gauge is good for tuning. Oil gauges are always good for safety. Get yourself a turbo and make a need for a boost gauge!!!!! LOL
Old 04-29-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (Hybrid93Hatch)

oil pressure
water temp

those are probrably the two most important for na car
Old 04-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (Steady)

dont both with an autometer A/F gauge - CRAP!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (navin)

I could probably look around but that involves real effort so where does one get that insert with the two gauge pods?
Old 04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (UtahRockabilly)

summit for the gauge pod

oil press
water temp
underhood fuel press.
EGT instead of A/F guage == CRAP
and if your going to run boost not many people run this gauge but its a good idea,.
Cyl. head temp. you have to tap the head, but you know imeadiantly when you have detonation.

Blaze
Old 04-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (Blaze45)

Yeah, for sure don't bother with an A/F gauge...those things are just Circus Light Shows..

Do you guys use mechanical, or electric gauges?

I'm about to install oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp, but I don't know if I'm supposed to get mechanical or electric.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (hot_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, for sure don't bother with an A/F gauge...those things are just Circus Light Shows..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! Will be avioding the A/F ratio gauge. I've actually read that in other threads as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you guys use mechanical, or electric gauges?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Another good Q. I'm thinking about buying the mechanical "Auto Meter" gauges. I'm going to search this topic and see what gauges out there are good / how they illuminate at night.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm about to install oil pressure, oil temp, and water temp, but I don't know if I'm supposed to get mechanical or electric.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I am going to skip the oil temp and just go with oil pressure and water temp. I'm going to look for a 3 gauge A-pillar pod and use the 3rd opening for a shift light if they come in the 52mm (or whatever) size

PS &lt;&gt; Unless oil temp. is really worth it?

Thanks for all the advice
Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (Hybrid93Hatch)

all mechanical...oil press., oil temp., and coolant/water temp.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (jg)

Dont get mech. they may be cheaper, but who wants hot water and oil running into the cabin of your car? besides, much easier to install the sensors for oil pressure and water temp. they cost like 6-10 bucks more. Buy used, much cheaper.

Blaze
Old 05-02-2003, 03:14 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (Blaze45)

the mechanical guages I trust to be far more accurate than the electrical units. If installed correctly, they don't leak!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Brrraaaap!

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (jg)

The elcetrical are just as accurate. They are more accurate then the mech. ones b/c they dont have to run to the cabin where they could loose "some pressure or a few degrees" not that it really matters.

Blaze
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think I am going to skip the oil temp and just go with oil pressure and water temp. I'm going to look for a 3 gauge A-pillar pod and use the 3rd opening for a shift light if they come in the 52mm (or whatever) size
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did (would) you find a 3 gauge A pillar pod?

I've looked in summit and all I see are the 2 gauge pods....but they clearly show a picture with 3 gauges!
Old 05-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (hot_EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did (would) you find a 3 gauge A pillar pod?

I've looked in summit and all I see are the 2 gauge pods....but they clearly show a picture with 3 gauges! </TD></TR></TABLE>

summitt (sp?) has them on their web site. Just over 50 bucks
Old 05-03-2003, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where does the water temp. guage get it's reading?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:09 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Going to add gauge pods to my Eg/GSR Hybrid! Need ideas on what gauges! (lazy bum shaughn)

Speaking for the mech. guages, I welded an O2 sensor bung to a piece of pipe creating a "T" in one of the coolant lines on the back of the head/block. The bulb on the end of the guage line threads into that "T".

For the elect. guages, I believe you have to do basically the same thing- BUT - instead of the line simply running from the "T" to the guage, it has to go to a sending unit, then to the guage. You have to make a suitable mount for the sending unit. It seems much simpler to use the mech. guages to me.
(disclaimer: the elect. oil pressure guages work w/ a "sending unit", I think the temp. guages work in the same fashion.)