Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a date of comlpetion yet? j/w keep up the GReaT work. laterZ
Old 06-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (notmightydx)

It's funny that there are people with so much tallent. "Hmmmm, maybe I will pretty much build a car." All I can do is follow and admire the vehicles because creativity and the other tallents required to complete tasks such as these aren't my forte.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (notmightydx)

FINALLY NO RAIN!! My city is severely flooded in some areas due to the most rain we have recieved in the last 20 years!

Checked up on my shortblock today, its completion date has been pushed back to first week of July. Just waiting for the new headgasket to arrive from cometic

Put the GC coils and illuminas together, rolled it out for a photo or two.

Name:  gemini_368.jpg
Views: 5037
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  gemini_371c.jpg
Views: 5093
Size:  64.9 KB

Prototype for the new sidescoop design - being readied for a negative mold, and eventually positive reproduction of the prototype from polyester casting resin. After that the reproduction is prepared a second negative mold will be made for the compression casting of carbon fiber :D. I'll explain this in greater detail as that project progresses.

Name:  gemini_345.jpg
Views: 5006
Size:  48.2 KB

Test fitting the aluminum fuel cell

Name:  gemini_363.jpg
Views: 5456
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  gemini_366.jpg
Views: 6309
Size:  83.0 KB

More to come!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:07 PM

Looking good dude! Are you going to convert the under-hood area where the engine used to be into a trunk?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:12 AM
egizzle8

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

Aren't you kinda worried with the gas tank so close the engine with the heat and everything? Like filling it up and spilling and having that whole thing go up in flames? Either way nice work on everything!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (egizzle8)

That rear fuel cell is kind of scary, if you ever get rear ended, things will go up in flames. As well all that weught behind the rear axle, would negativly affect the handling. I like what you are doing though. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wheels01 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That rear fuel cell is kind of scary, if you ever get rear ended, things will go up in flames. As well all that weught behind the rear axle, would negativly affect the handling. I like what you are doing though. Keep up the good work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are right, weight behind the rear axle can negatively affect handling, however I believe it will be offset by the amount of weight infront of the rear axle. As it stands right now the car is much heavier at the rear than the front, that alone can cause problems with handling if the suspension setup is not adequete. The maximum tank capacity is 15 gallons, average weight of premium unleaded fuel is 6.35lbs/gallon. When completely full with tank it will not weigh more than 100lbs, and the only time it will be full is when I am driving it long distances.. which won't be very often. For racing I will have approximately 30 lbs of fuel or 1/3 of a tank.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egizzle8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't you kinda worried with the gas tank so close the engine with the heat and everything? Like filling it up and spilling and having that whole thing go up in flames? Either way nice work on everything!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Safety first of course! I will be building a small chromoly cage and insulated firewall around the tank. Also the tank will be lower to be withen the protected area of the rear bumper. Air pockets between the firewall or rear of the car and tank will be filled with flame retardant insulating expansive foam. I'm fully aware of the dangers of putting the tank there, however it is no worse than putting it in the front of the car. I've seen my fair share of porsche front end accidents that turn the car into a fireball. I am not worried about flame from spillage because it will not have exhaust running anywhere near the cell, as the exhaust will exit infront of the rear wheel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CycloneBlue_1.6EL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking good dude! Are you going to convert the under-hood area where the engine used to be into a trunk?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not planning to convert it to anything at the moment, just keeping my options open though

Thank you for your questions, comments and concerns. They are much appreciated!
-Scott

Modified by WhiteSol at 6:47 PM 6/21/2005

Modified by WhiteSol at 6:47 PM 6/21/2005
Old 06-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (WhiteSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not planning to convert it to anything at the moment, just keeping my options open though

-Scott</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahh... do I smell a twin engine Del Sol in the works for the future? oohhh the power of a master fabricator! LOL!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol (jbell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">subscribeeeeeeeeeeeeeee</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol (spectacle)

Looks awesome can't wait for the final product .
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol (MAD ITR 55)

sick man....I will keep an eye on this thread lots of good info...
Old 06-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

teh sick!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.nate)

project looks great. personaly i would mount the gas tank in the front to add alittle weight to balance, and to keep it safer, then just put in a fuel cut switch in the front thats easy to get to, and run a good sumped pump, and stainless lines to the engine.

keep it up
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (Snail Tuning)

I agree, I would mount the tank up front, just in case a rearending, but its a fuel cell, looks like race quality so it should be okay. On another note, the way you set u pyour intake ports is awesome, I found a picture of an MR2 that i thought looked cool also.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: (Snail Tuning)

I agree, I would mount the tank up front, just in case a rearending, but its a fuel cell, looks like race quality so it should be okay. On another note, the way you set u pyour intake ports is awesome, but what if you were to try a roof scoop setup, for increased air flow, I just dont think that the side scoop would be enough for your turbo, and intercooler. Being thats its inthe rear now. Great Project utmost respect
Old 06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol (WhiteSol)

bad ***! if you sell it, i will buy!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stangr66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stangr66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree, I would mount the tank up front, just in case a rearending, but its a fuel cell, looks like race quality so it should be okay. On another note, the way you set u pyour intake ports is awesome, I found a picture of an MR2 that i thought looked cool also.[IMG][/IMG]</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know of the scoop type you were trying to post, similar to the tom's motorsport scoops like these below.

Originally that was the style I had in mind, however it would not be very functional in my case because of the position of my engine. Also according to a few MR2 owners I have spoken with, the toms scoops disrupt the airflow toyota engineers worked hard to create. My understanding of the concept is limited, however I believe the original design aids cooling the engine compartment. Hence the reason for the vents in the rear hood, and the rather abrubt rear window (which undoubtedly creates an area of low pressure behind the rear window, just over the vents). Where as the toms scoops force air down into the engine bay from above (pushing against the rising air from underneath the car) adding to rear engine cooling woes. My finished product will incorporate this same style of rear hood vents to aid cooling (nothing too gawdy tho )

On the topic of my intercooler, it will be rear mount and act partly as a rear defuser. I am not sure of the effectiveness of the design, but I will do my best to ensure it gets enough airflow. Remember air flows much quicker under your vehicle than around it, or into the front engine bay (due to other objects in the engine bay; like the radiator). It *should* work just as well, if not better if I do it right

Thank you to everyone who has viewed, participated and commented on this project. I find it instrumental to the thought process as I near the final stages of design and production. Big to the H-T community for the support!

-Scott
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol (WhiteSol)

that some sick **** man, mad props dawg let me know how it goes. i hope you get the results your looking for man. Sell it to me lol
Old 06-24-2005, 07:45 AM

Default Re: (WhiteSol)

Now, being that all the piping for the radiator is going from the front to the back, are you going to need a higher flowing water pump to it the juice to the back? Also where would you put the intercooler, It looks as though you used up all the space in the compartment, would you angle it downwards, and place it in front of the engine to get the fatster air under the car, as you explained, or place it under the fuel cell.

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stangr66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stangr66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now, being that all the piping for the radiator is going from the front to the back, are you going to need a higher flowing water pump to it the juice to the back? Also where would you put the intercooler, It looks as though you used up all the space in the compartment, would you angle it downwards, and place it in front of the engine to get the fatster air under the car, as you explained, or place it under the fuel cell.

Keep up the good work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man you're full of good questons!
I am keeping my stock water pump with trimmed impeller blades, and adding a meziere 55 GPM high flow electric pump up front to push the coolant through the system at an increased rate. The reason I am leaving the impleller blades on the water pump is simply incase the electric pump fails coolant will still be moved enough to ward off overheating.

As you guessed it, the intercooler will be below and slightly behind the fuel tank, slightly angled. This will mean moddifying my rear bumper fascia.

Here is a pic of the NSXSC turbo NSX with a rear mount intercooler. Similar concept with my configuration.

Thanks,
-Scott
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 PM
I hate rap music

Best...... thread...... evar.....
sweet heaven i wish i had the skills to pull somthing like this off.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: (spoonie_GSR)

dude you want to be my personal mechanic, i got enough room in my closet for a person to live in.
BTW this is one hell of a project, mad props bro.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default Re: (IE_EG8)

Are you using the heater? Did you block off the heater hoses or did you bypass it, connecting them together. My project is putting a Prelude drivetrain in the back of a tube-frame Mini, and I'm experiencing cooling system issues. I have the heater hoses plugged and wonder if that's the problem.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kb58)

Man....this is too awesome. **** monster garage....they need to do a show about you and the prelude mini!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Re: (JOEY F.)

Thanks, I'm not here to steal his thunder, but since he's doing something similar I'm wondering what he did. I think I'm close to getting it running right if I can just get some input.

Quick Reply: Gemini Project: Mid engine RWD H22 Turbo Del Sol