Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Plan Questions. Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Plan Questions. Opinions wanted!

Honda- Tech,

First off, let me start off by saying, I have been a Honda owner for about 12 hours now. I bought a 1996 Honda Civic with an automatic trans. and motor that has 188,000 miles for 2 grand. Not even a full day of owning this vehicle, I already started looking at Type R motors and manual tranny swaps, turbos, ect. I guess my questions are, how much would a swap from a regular motor to a Type R and manual tranny would cost? I see a type r motor costs about 4 grand itself. What about slapping on a turbo? All these are just ideas I have in my head. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:04 AM
EK9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Future Plan Questions. Opinions wanted!

You have ALOT of research to do. If you wanted to do that swap, you should've started out with a manual vehicle
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dc4LsTeG
If you wanted to do that swap, you should've started out with a manual vehicle
Not necessarily. If he's already planning on a full swap (which he would have to, going from D to B), it's child's play to do an auto to manual conversion in the process.

OP, expect to do a LOT of reading and research before you even think about boost. A motor swap is one thing, but a turbo, blower, or bottle is a whole different beast. If you're willing to do a lot of research, shopping around, and be very careful with your money, expect to pay a minimum of $1500 for a workable turbo setup. If you just want to buy a retail kit that isn't going to take a **** on you, expect that to double, if not triple.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was originally looking for a stick. I came across this Honda and couldn't resist. The potential for it is so great. It is BONE stock.

In terms of turbo, and all that other jizz, I will do a lot of reading before hand. This site will be my new homesite. I look forward to many years with Honda-tech now that I am no longer a "lurker"