Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon4 Fuel Injector Problems

My Honda was misfiring, couldnt figure out what it was, took it to a shop and had it checked out, turns out it's a bad fuel injector on cylinder 4. I have 99 ex with a b18c1 with a 93 first gen head, skunk2 pro series manifold, I honestly I'm just getting into the engine, have some knowledge of engines but not allot. so they order the part for 98 gsr b18c1, than I tell them that the head is a 93 gsr, again I'm not 100 Percent sure if that really Changed anything but from what I had been researching The 93 injectors should have fit, so the part gets there and they give me a call, saying that it physically doesn't fit. That they would have to change all 4 ports, me again not knowing to much just decide to go pick the car because they said it was just be a trail and error thing. So I'm at a dead end? I'm not sure exactly what to do, could I just buy any injector pack for a 93 gen head, were they lying to me to get money off of me? What injectors are supposed to fit?. I'm sorry for the long post. Anything would help
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Injector Problems

How could I figure out what injectors are supposed to fit?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the head doesn't care about the injector physical size, the IM does...what injectors does Skunk recommend?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

OP, please take a deep breath and lets use some common sense. Not one person here knows exactly which fuel injectors you have in your cobbled up "B" series swap... and all of the talking in your post won't help one bit since you have already admitted that you are not prepared to speak intelligently about the fuel injectors that you have. So, please take a picture of the fuel injector that the shop claims is damaged AND a picture of the connector that plugs into said injector from the engine harness. With pics, you will have answers within minutes of posting. As for the shop... they are unable to identify your fuel injectors and don't know that the installation height of all three types of "B" series injectors (OBD-0, OBD-1 and OBD-2) are the SAME and they would in fact fit into the fuel rail and Skunk2 Intake Manifold, so they obviously aren't truly interested in repairing your car. A Tech with half a brain could have Googled all three OBD-X style injectors and from the photos found, could have identified which one matches yours.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Attached Images       
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great job OP !!! The pics that you have provided suggest that you have either OBD-0 or OBD-1 fuel injectors. I am not sure how/why your '99 EX engine harness has these injector clips on it.... they are not original... but anyway, you need to remove one from the injector. Take and post a pic of the FACE of the injector clip where it plugs into the fuel injector. Also, get an OHM meter and place each probe to contact the pair of pins on the fuel injector... one probe touches one pin... the other probe touches the remaining pin. The OHM reading should be either 2.3-3 OHM or 12.2-13.0 OHM. From this, we can tell you what to get.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On it
Old 06-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It kept fluctuating between 12.3 and 12.4 because the Ohm reader I had was fucked up.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it kept fluctuating between 12.3 and 12.4 because the Ohm reader I had was fucked up
Old 06-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, great job on the new pics !!! It is very refreshing when a new member here asks for help, someone offers it, and the OP follows those instructions so that help can be given.

You have OBD-1 style fuel injector clips, which means that you can use fuel injectors from a '94-95 Integra GSR or from a '92-95 Civic EX. They will all be 235cc (some say 240cc but whatever) and have OHM resistances in the low to mid 12's... 12.2-12.5 would be just fine.

On a side note, if you want to VERIFY that the fuel injector is in fact the problem as the mechanic shop has stipulated, you could do the following: Crank the engine and let it idle. Remove each spark plug wire at the spark plug end, ONE AT A TIME, paying close attention to the engine's running rhythm when removing the plug wire. If the engine sound changes, or the engine stalls... this indicates that the chosen cylinder WAS running before you pulled the fire from it. For a dead cylinder, when you remove the spark plug wire, no audible change in the engine sound will occur... it sounds the same. Once you have discovered the offending cylinder, you can proceed to finding out what is causing the dead cylinder. Now, you mentioned that cylinder #4 was the offending location, however, you have taken close up pics of fuel injector #1. For clarification, the cylinders are numbered from 1 to 4 beginning at the timing belt/cam gear end of the engine and moving toward the distributor. Either way, to verify that the fuel injector is the problem, simply MOVE IT from it's current location to another and then crank the car. The problem should move with it. For instance, if the #4 injector is the suspected problem location, disconnect all injector clips, remove the fuel rail, move the #4 injector in the #1 injector location and then move the #1 injector over to the #4 injector hole in the fuel rail (remember to lubricate the O-rings with oil or Vasiline), re-install the fuel rail, and crank the car. The dead cylinder should now be the #1 cylinder, and when you remove the spark plug wire from that location, there should be no change in the engine's sound/rhythm. IF the problem is still at the #4 location, then the problem is NOT the fuel injector.

Now, off you go... go and test.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thank u very much for everything.. Much appreciated and will do .
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not too sure if I'm gonna be able to do that because of the fact that it's gotten so bad the car doesn't turn on any more. Does crank. Just clicks once and tried to jump start the battery and nothing either, done some research online and my suspensions are for the Same thing, and reeks of fuel so my I'm suspecting it's that. So just gonna buy them, install them and if it's anything just investigate further. Also, do you recommend any brand?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock OE Honda/Acura... but that would be cost prohibitive. I do not recommend buying them from your local auto parts store. I would be more apt to suggest borrowing a set from a known running '92-95 Civic or '94-95 Integra... I am sure you have a friend who drives one of these and might be willing to help you test. A swap car with the same style fuel injectors works as well.

Get a trickle charger on that battery and see if that helps. Maybe let it charge overnight before you try testing again. Also, you may have fouled out the spark plugs, so pull them out and clean with a wire brush and brake clean.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I apologize in advance for necroviving this thread, but I am trying to chase down my cars rough idle and I believe it's either fuel injectors, or the fuel pump. I have just bought a eg hatch with a GSR swap. That's all I know, and I am new to Hondas. (In my defense, I bought it as a project car.)

I have tested all the injectors with a multi-meter and they were all 11.8 Ohm, except cylinder 1, which was 11.5. Also when I pull that injector plug nothing really happens, and when I plug it in, it smooths out for just a second, and gets rough again. Plug has spark, and is wet when it idles w/o spark plug wire.
I have replaced distributor rotor and cap, wires, spark plugs, fuel filter, main relay, cleaned the maf sensor. And I did the waterpump/idler/timing belt yesterday. Timing was dead on when I did the swap.
I did not test TPS, or clean the IACV, or replace ICM.
I have no idea what to order (or if I should), and I have been searching for days. I keep coming to this injector: 06164P72010.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Using a long screwdriver, I can hear the injector pulse. And I did not replace the ICM, or the crank position sensor.

Last edited by Some Hatch; 07-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the compression in the offending hole/cylinder. If the compression result is above 150 psi, then test the remaining cylinders to make sure that your deviation (difference between the highest and lowest cylinder) is less than 20 psi. If compression numbers are good, move the offending fuel injector over to an adjacent cylinder and see if the problem moves with it. If it does, your problem is a bad fuel injector. If the dead cylinder remains the same, your issue is either bad wiring at that injector or a bad ECU (bad injector driver).
Old 05-23-2022, 01:21 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by E_Load
how do I disconnect the grey part