Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluctuating idle

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Wa...b87ce.mp4.html

Could anyone tell me what could be causing my car to do this seems like it happens after it warms up, also is does not happen all the time, but it does happen pretty often.

I cleaned the IACV and FITV really good, and still having this problem. What could be the possible problems that I could look over.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fluctuating idle

99% of the time it's from a vacuum leak. Disconnect the IACV and see what RPM it idles at. If it's above 600rpm, you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Try it both cold and warm. It probably won't do it cold because the FITV is actively raising RPM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
99% of the time it's from a vacuum leak. Disconnect the IACV and see what RPM it idles at. If it's above 600rpm, you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Try it both cold and warm. It probably won't do it cold because the FITV is actively raising RPM.
Alright, so once I do this and if it does what you say. How do I pinpoint where the vacuum leak is?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by woodenchef
Alright, so once I do this and if it does what you say. How do I pinpoint where the vacuum leak is?
You can spray a starting fluid on the hoses when the car is running to see if it leans out or changes. Once you find a hose and the engine changes noises replace it.

How is the coolant level? Have you bleed it recently?

Sometimes after cleaning the IACV they still will not work properly. Autozones have lifetime warranty and the last on I bought in May for a d16y7 was a Denso in duralast packaging. Denso was on it originally.

FYI- turn your stereo off next time you post a video.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
You can spray a starting fluid on the hoses when the car is running to see if it leans out or changes. Once you find a hose and the engine changes noises replace it.

How is the coolant level? Have you bleed it recently?

Sometimes after cleaning the IACV they still will not work properly. Autozones have lifetime warranty and the last on I bought in May for a d16y7 was a Denso in duralast packaging. Denso was on it originally.

FYI- turn your stereo off next time you post a video.
Sorry about the stereo. The coolant level is fine and I bleed it about a month ago maybe longer. Is there any actual way to test the IACV I bought it used off a guy so yes it could be defective.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I took my car to a shop, and they started spraying stuff around to find the vacuum leak. I was there watching them they sprayed around the intake manifold and the car noise changed. They told me to change my gasket. Today I changed the manifold gasket. Still am having the same problem.

Could the IACV cause this?
Old 07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

The shop guy is an idiot. And they just told you what to do if you sprayed fluid on the lines and the noise changed, and you still didn't do it? Why post here if you aren't going to take good advice?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TracerAcer2.2L
The shop guy is an idiot. And they just told you what to do if you sprayed fluid on the lines and the noise changed, and you still didn't do it? Why post here if you aren't going to take good advice?
I am taking there advice....? Someone I know did not charge me to give me a hand using his shop cause I needed the hoist as well. As I said we did spray brake cleaner around all the vacuum lines, and the only thing that seemed to change the idle was when we sprayed near one spot on the intake manifold. So he suggested I changed my intake gasket which I did. Today I once again sprayed every line with some starter spray, and nothing seemed to change the idle.

I am going to the scrap yard I will try to find another IACV to replace this one with see if it changes anything. Could anything else cause my car to do this. I would buy a new one but we do not have a autozone where I live and all the local parts store want close to 300 for a brand new one...
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could the red hose coming off the intake cause that or the open hole by the map sensor cause this. I dont feel air sucking when i put my hand over them?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you used a 96+ throttle body gasket on your pre-96 TB then yes you've found the leak. I've also seen many older cars with leaks right at the throttle shaft between the bearing, but that's rarely a problem in a Honda. The 2 locations you mentioned above do not cause leaks into the plenum.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:37 PM

I am taking there advice....? Someone I know did not charge me to give me a hand using his shop cause I needed the hoist as well. As I said we did spray brake cleaner around all the vacuum lines, and the only thing that seemed to change the idle was when we sprayed near one spot on the intake manifold. So he suggested I changed my intake gasket which I did. Today I once again sprayed every line with some starter spray, and nothing seemed to change the idle.

I am going to the scrap yard I will try to find another IACV to replace this one with see if it changes anything. Could anything else cause my car to do this. I would buy a new one but we do not have a autozone where I live and all the local parts store want close to 300 for a brand new one...

My mistake, I didn't understand.
Seems like I've seen a ton of people on here with IACV problems like this, I'm doing away with it
Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure you've had problems with women at some point, why not remove them from your life too? Lol. Most people with persistent idle problems don't have the will to find the leak or clean/swap the IACV. It's not because the IACV is troublesome, it because "a ton of people on here" shouldn't be ******* with cars.

I've always been meticulous about checking every gasket surface & gasket, as well as every hose, and never once had an idle/iacv issue. The last 2 times I delt with it (my brother's 2 cars), each time it was a big leak which just happened to be around the throttle body. Each time we fixed the leak & reset the ecu, the idle fluctuation disappeared and we had a rock-solid idle.

To the OP, re-try what I mentioned in my 1st post. If the idle w/o IACV seems lower, reset the ECU, plug in the IACV, and start the car.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:02 AM

I'm doing away with it because of a minimalist approach, just like I'm doing away with emissions. Don't need it. Kinda wanna keep my woman around lol
Old 07-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Could the red hose coming off the intake cause that or the open hole by the map sensor cause this. I dont feel air sucking when i put my hand over them?
Cap both of those fittings, The one on the throttle body was for a charcoal canister which you probably dont have and the other is a valve cover vent which is already in place. A cap kit from any autoparts store will work. After that mess with your IACV.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM

Good eye^^^