Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mini me swap...Help anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 First mini me swap...Help anyone?

Okay so i have a SOHC D15b7 on my 95 civic and sadly i cant afford to do a full engine swap. Long story short my friend told me about this mini me swap, ive been searching this forum and this is what ive come up with as far as the materials go.

-D16y8 head
-D16y8 Intake manifold
-D16y8 distributor
-D16y8 head gasket
-Skunk2 throttle body
-4-2-1 headers
-Buddy Club exhaust
-D16y8 Cam gear
-D16y8 valve cover
-D16y8 timing belt

Now my question(s) would be is do i have everything in order to complete my mini me swap? or does my D15b7 have parts that wil be compatable with the swap? and most importanly am i missing anything?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: First mini me swap...Help anyone?

You need arp head studs and you gotta have like the ls/vtec conversion and then tap the head so oil will be fead from the block with the kit
Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Trial User

Thanks dude i really do appriciate the help! But how and what would i need to do the conversion?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
You need arp head studs and you gotta have like the ls/vtec conversion and then tap the head so oil will be fead from the block with the kit
Huh? no you don't have to tap the head for oil. It's a basic bolt on affair. You will have to remove the oil jet from the block though. And you don't need arp head studs either you can use honda studs. Click the FAQ at the top it'll have all the info you'll need to know.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Trial User

Thanks for all the help guys. Very appriciated!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Huh? no you don't have to tap the head for oil. It's a basic bolt on affair. You will have to remove the oil jet from the block though. And you don't need arp head studs either you can use honda studs. Click the FAQ at the top it'll have all the info you'll need to know.
Well I've never done a "mini me" just ls/v's do I just assumed it would be the same. My apologies
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
You need to remove the oil jet or vtec will not engage. Not sure if that's what he meant by tapping the head or not. Also, you can probably get away with using the head bolts you already have (apparently Honda bolts hold up from what I've researched/heard and personally experienced), although getting new ones is still not a bad idea and ARP bolts have been highly recommended. One thing about the the Y8/Y7 heads though, is that the bolt in the corner closest to the passenger side of the car will be shorter than the rest. You'll need a bolt from one of those heads. As far as the distributor goes, your b7 one is supposed to work, and should allow you to keep your car obd1.

I realize that parts of this comment are not quite definitive, that's because I do not have a whole lot of experience, but that is just the information I've found from extensive research and brief personal experience. I'm actually working on doing this same swap now.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dmanfree
You need to remove the oil jet or vtec will not engage. Not sure if that's what he meant by tapping the head or not. Also, you can probably get away with using the head bolts you already have (apparently Honda bolts hold up from what I've researched/heard and personally experienced), although getting new ones is still not a bad idea and ARP bolts have been highly recommended. One thing about the the Y8/Y7 heads though, is that the bolt in the corner closest to the passenger side of the car will be shorter than the rest. You'll need a bolt from one of those heads. As far as the distributor goes, your b7 one is supposed to work, and should allow you to keep your car obd1.

I realize that parts of this comment are not quite definitive, that's because I do not have a whole lot of experience, but that is just the information I've found from extensive research and brief personal experience. I'm actually working on doing this same swap now.
Oh and I think you need the z6 belt, as well as a vtec ecu (if you're keeping it all obd1, go with a p28).
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the y8 t belt pretty tight. D15 dizzy will bolt up. Use head bolts from what ever head u use. Make sure the oils squirter is out. Chip your ecu for vtec. Wire in vtec from ecu that should cover most of it.