Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my swap today... car ran...well sorta

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished my swap today... it ran, now it keeps flooding.

Well i just finished my swap today and ive run into a big problem and i know for a fact someone on here can help. ok the car was a stock 99 EK CX. and i put my b16a2 in it today from an old 99Si i had. ok heres what it did... i finished the swap and started the car up. ran incredible.. but i had a CEL. so i figured ok, so i went to drive it to my local suto store since the rent testors to see what code or codes i was throwing. and on my way there once id hit aroun 3500 to 4 K rpm. the motor would sound like it was trying to engage vtec but fall on its face.. it was werid. and i went to the auto store. and it said my cel was for my TPS and Vtec solenoid. so i drove back home to fix those and it was still doing it. i check my tps and it wasnt plugged in all the way so i did that and ran the wires for my v tec solenoid. i started the car backup and it ran fine. but i took it for another test drive and it was still doing the same thing.and still was throwing a CEL. so im driving back home and the car dies on me.. like im just going along at liek 2200 and it seems like it ran out of gas. it bogged down and died... so i put another TPS that i had from another motor in... didnt help. changed my plugs. didnt help. check my fuel setup... didnt help. check all my plugs oping one car un done, nothing. re did my engine grounds,and i even called a friend and he drove over and we put in his ecu ( 99 Si) and still nothing... so im fiddling with the car for almost 2 hrs now and i try something... i unplugged all my injectors and the motor fires when im turning it over, but it wont start, but as soon as i put the injectors back on(plugged in) i get nothing, just a cranking... it seems like i have no spark, but i took out a plug and im getting a spark... im lost. any help would be appreciated... and also, the ECU is from the stock wetup (D16A3 non vtec)... maybe thats the problem. idk but anyone who can help id greatly appreciate it

Modified by 99EeeKay at 10:54 AM 4/6/2006
Old 04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished my swap today... car ran...well sorta (99EeeKay)

please bump... my car still isnt running and i have work. ive changed my cap and rotor, plug wires and plugs today too... still nothing... the plugs were soaked in fuel like there is a weak spark... but when i put the plug to the block and turn it over, i get a spark.. any ideas please. thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"the ECU is from the stock wetup (D16A3 non vtec)... maybe thats the problem."

you cant begin to expect the car to run right without the right ECU<FONT SIZE="10">!!!</FONT>
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im buying a 99 si ecu tonight for 50 dollars... and the motor is from a 99 si
so lets see if that lets it start up.
also... since the ecu and motor are same year, do i need to change anything for the vtec setup or just plug in and be done with it?
Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why did you even run it with the wrong ecu. not sure but i think the fuel maps are different and if the ecu wasnt pinned to run vtec that was also your problem. once you get that si ecu you should run smooth.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k the ecu is from a 00 si... does that make a difference? also im yet to try it out... my battery died from too many fail attempts, so ill let yous know how things turned out.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the new ecu stopped my CEL's but it still wont start, i went out this morning and bought a ew cap, rotor, wires, and spark plugs .... the plugs just keep getting soaked with fuel... i mena soaked. but the plugs get a sparkwhen i hold them to the block. the only thing i can think of is there is waterin my fuel lines from teh motor sitting for a couple months in a shed. but what i dont understand is this... i finished my swap on tuesday, got in teh car, and boom started right up
then after putting about 3 mines on it it bogged down and died.... and now it wont start, this is the problem im having. and i honestly cannot think of anyother thing to do.... also, if i unplug my injectors. and try to crank it, after about 6 second itll fire once. then thats it, ive checked my compression its 159 160 158 160. so for this motor having 70 some odd thousand miles on it, that good. can anyone think of what i should do... like maybe un hook my fuel pump and use starting fluid to "get things rolling" idk im totally lost here.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finished my swap today... it ran, now it keeps flooding. (99EeeKay)

Well, i figured out my problem... my timing belt jumped one tooth... so i redid my timing, which is alot easier todo then a DSM's... and i got in and it started up like nothing was wrong with the car i let it idle for appx 30 mins and came out and the misfiring stopped and the idle was nice and calm... so i took it for a test sspin... and i hit vtec it sounds so mean. but id like to thank other peoples suggestions on what to do... and now at least i have anew distributor i probably didnt need