Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives!

I've been calling IAS for the past month looking for a lower mileage GSR motor for my 93 Cx. They got a 96 GSR in the other day with 60,XXX on it and I went for it. Cost me $3,600 + $200 for shipping. I know it's not the cheapest but at least I know these guys won't screw me over (from what I've read on IAS). I can't wait to get it in the hatch. I have to buy an OBD1 ECU and also the Del Sol dual core VTEC radiator.

Anyhow, I'm excited about this and thought I'd share with you guys since I'll be posting my problems I have as I do the swap
Old 02-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (Hybrid93Hatch)

sounds kinda expensive for 60k, but cangrats to you!!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (iwhichisme)

Damn I got 30k miles on my JDM 94 GSR for $3300 from HMO. Are u one of those people that’s scared of JDM motors thinking there all crap or won’t fit. I understand that you may want usdm cuz it's legal and stuff but to me you got screwed.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (leadfoot78)

Damn I got 30k miles on my JDM 94 GSR for $3300 from HMO. Are u one of those people that’s scared of JDM motors thinking there all crap or won’t fit. I understand that you may want usdm cuz it's legal and stuff but to me you got screwed.
There is NO way HMO knows the mileage on their motors. They give that b.s. statement that all motors average 35k miles on them, but they have NO idea. Especially the JDM motors. I have been calling IAS for the past month and the 60k GSR is the lowest they've had yet. They had one with like 70k on it and the rest were 90's to just over 100. ....and all of HMO motors have around 35k on them, Yeah!

I avoided the JDM because of a few reasons:
1) Heard the engines over there are NOT taken care of since they are replaced early in the life of the car
2) More complicated install than the USDM
3) And I am hearing emission test will be nation wide soon, so I want to make everything legit.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (Hybrid93Hatch)

1) Heard the engines over there are NOT taken care of since they are replaced early in the life of the car
Very True

Not really

3) And I am hearing emission test will be nation wide soon, so I want to make everything legit.
Hope not
Old 02-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (VTECVillain)

IAS rules!!!....when you get your motor you will see why IAS charges more then most shops...the motors are in excellent condition and they include everything with the swap...sometimes even the kitchen sink
Old 02-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have taken my motor apart and looked at every thing in side and it all checked out very well. HMO didn't lie about my compression numbers why would he have to lie about anything else.
Also i don't entirely agree with the assumption that the Japanese know they will replace their cars soon so they beat on them. Japan is a very small country maybe the size of CA, its also an island, and people in Japan live totally differently, different culture, only here everything was built so you have to drive everywhere, I used to live in such a country and used the car 1/3 compared to how much I use it now.

[Modified by leadfoot78, 5:16 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-03-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (leadfoot78)

i dont know what japanese people do to their cars, but i know what i would do if I knew my engine had to be retired at 40K mi or whatever it is. somehow i doubt that im alone... on that note, im glad i bought my wrecked 2000 lude (30K mi) for $1900.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Just an update.....

I've been dealing with Randy since the start. Finally got the credit card authorization form faxed to him this past monday. There is a 97 or 98 GSR due in yesterday or today at IAS and I am either getting that motor or the one with 60k on it. I asked Randy to send me pics of the car / engine as well as the Vin # and leakdown test #'s. Once all this is done and I am ready to finalize this the credit card will be charged. I asked when the motor will ship out and he said this coming up Thursday or Friday should be the day
Old 02-14-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Just an update..... (Hybrid93Hatch)

you can trust randy with any buy. they stick to their word.i have bought two swaps for my eg hatchs not to mention of all the jdm stuff , and susp stuff i have gotten from them. if you shop around sometimes he will knock a little off if you find something cheaper.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is NO way HMO knows the mileage on their motors. They give that b.s. statement that all motors average 35k miles on them, but they have NO idea. Especially the JDM motors. I have been calling IAS for the past month and the 60k GSR is the lowest they've had yet. They had one with like 70k on it and the rest were 90's to just over 100. ....and all of HMO motors have around 35k on them, Yeah!

steve@HMO told me the exact mileage on my motor when he shipped it, 28,548

1) thats not always the case. sometimes yes.
2) no
3) so? i passed emissions for 2 years with my JDM b16
Old 02-14-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (Kamin)

steve@HMO told me the exact mileage on my motor when he shipped it, 28,548
I'm curious to how he was able to tell you the mileage on the JDM motor?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to me you got screwed.
whens your smog? then we'll see who is screwed and who isnt....then your gonna be laying down hundreds of dollars to pass.......so in the end.............

plus, im happy to know my B18C1 had its oil changed at least a couple times in its life before me, and had some maintenance done to it...........

oh, and congrats on the buy...your gonna love it

[Modified by hybrider93, 3:36 PM 2/14/2003]
Old 02-14-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Finally purchased a GSR motor for the hatch! Pics when it arrives! (hybrider93)

Congrats man great engine choice!

Gotta say something about import motors and the care they may or may not receive. I am 99% sure that a honda in Japan has to show proof of oil changes ( usually thru a dealership) every 3000 miles(or km equivalent) or chance voiding the warranty. We here in America mostly think its a right to drive a car where as in most places overseas people find it to be a priveledge and take better care of there cars than most people in the states.
Even a car with low mileage compared to car with double the mileage is a crap shoot.

Was the low mileage car driven 5 mins to the store 5 mins back home and no oil changes? (my crazy brother when he didn't care about cars would change the oil in the mini van every 30000 miles or so!) Theres nothing harder on an engine than starting it up for short juants and doing it over and over compared to the longer commute style driving which puts miles on quicker.

Not sure but aren't Japans smog laws tougher than ours are now?