Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F2B/H2B handling? Input from people who have ACTUALLY done it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2B/H2B handling? Input from people who have ACTUALLY done it.

Ok, so I have an '99 EX coupe and have been looking around at potential swaps. I already have the "good" D series (Y8) B16's lack torque. LS's have little power. GSR/Type-R and K-series would cost more than I paid for the car! Then, out of the blue, I noticed something shiny. HMotors is selling F20B's for $850 for everything except the tranny. 200HP and good torque sounds damn good for the price. If I used an F2B kit, would my car still have semi-decent handling? A lot of people say that the car handles like floppycock after a F/H-series swap, but I want to know from those that have done it.

Another thing is I would like to find a way to do it without shimming the hood if at all possible. I want what hides under the hood to be a "secret".

The point is that the F20B swap makes the same power as an ITR swap, but with more torque. F20B = $850. Type-R, $4,000-$5,000. Throw in a bit for the F2B kit and grab a trans and sounds like I'm still ahead of the game.

So, from those who have done F2B/H2B, what has been your results?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F2B/H2B handling? Input from people who have ACTUALLY done it.

i would say you wont really be able to tell the difference. h22 long block is only like 25 pounds more then the b series long blocks.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good point. Not only that, but I seem to recall that B16B's from CTRs are actually B18C blocks with different rod/stroke ratio to lower displacement, which means it is a taller engine. The CTR is supposed to have the best handling out of the civics so the engine's height or increased weight must not be a big deal.

Any ideas about keeping the head below the hood?
I like the idea of doing this - it's great power for the money and the shiny blue valve cover that comes on F20B's is quite... "provocative"
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
Good point. Not only that, but I seem to recall that B16B's from CTRs are actually B18C blocks with different rod/stroke ratio to lower displacement, which means it is a taller engine. The CTR is supposed to have the best handling out of the civics so the engine's height or increased weight must not be a big deal.

Any ideas about keeping the head below the hood?
I like the idea of doing this - it's great power for the money and the shiny blue valve cover that comes on F20B's is quite... "provocative"
I believe there was an EK Civic in a thread with the QSD H2B kit and cleared the hood (maybe because he cut the webbing, maybe not) If you use the Evolution kit with mounts it will clear and you can close the hood for sure.

My brother rocks an F20B in his coupe and its very quick. Especially once VTEC engages and then it really gets little. And this is with the T2T4 trans. Handles great. My F20B (with the QSD kit and S4C trans) will be done in April and I know it will handle great.

If you are in the Chicagoland area (my brother is, I'm not) he is selling that motor for less than what Hmotors is selling it and you can drive the car first before you buy (can't get any better than that). New water pump and timing components, the manual version, less than 8k on the swap. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Chicago. Brutal winters, sucky cops, tons of crime. Have to hide my car - people out here will steal a stock EX.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I own an h2b crx. My car is at the forefront of all the rumors of the H22a understeer.

I can tell you, my car still handles awesome. Hondas come front heavy from the factory. I have taken steps to remove weight from the front of my car so that I don't have understeering issues. Carbon hood, lightweight flywheel, relocated battery, plastic headlights, jdm bumper (no bumper support beam) etc.

If you just relocate your battery, you have already offset the weight difference and then some.

Also, your hood will close without spacers I have seen it before.

-cut the webbing by the cam gears

-remove and delete the iab plate

-run a throttle body with a remote map sensor. Obd1 h22a TB's don't have the map on the tb

-relocate/delete the pcv valve

And you're set.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I lived up there and I know what you mean. He has his car on lockdown too.

Sent you the PM on the motor. That motor and the H22 run darn good on H2B setups. If you look around on here, there are plenty. Some of them street the cars, other track 'em.

probably the best one to talk to about handling characteristics of an H2B/F2B setup is a good guy on Honda-Tech (username 2fast4u831) He has a thread going on and he takes it to Laguna Seca. Since he takes it oon twisty tracks, thats your best bet right there

here's the link https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/my-h2b-never-ending-project-spiderman-2087724/
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My h2b setup handles great. You can achieve any steering characteristics by changing springs with different rates and adding sway bars etc.. I need to do some work to my car. The front springs are stiffer than the rear and it has a front sway bar with no rear bar thus creating understeer. Once I add a rear sway bar the car will be more neutral.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had a h22 swap in my EG for over 6 years, I went h2b about 2 yrs ago but never daily drove it. It is specifically a track car but I can say that even with the full h22 swap (with an h22 trans) the car still handled fine. I never had issues with the cars handling and honestly believe you would not either with a h2b street car...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i track my turbo F2D setup in my EF hatch quite a bit.

with an LSD and all the torque, its WAY more fun that my old turbo D

fricken rules.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i m checking out other people setup that they got traction bar under front car
sorry for newb question how much improve can it be if you install one ? do you know?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i daily drive a h2b turbo 97 civic coupe and i love it it been h2b for for over 2 years and has been turbo for over 1, i have ksports, and sway bars and a traction bar setup car still handles like a champ, the onthing is u can not dump or slam the car as much as u can with a be series.. becuz ground clearance with h2b is not that great but the torque will make up for the un slammed look lol and also an ek hood will close with out spacer
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK thanks all who actually know what they're talking about... so if I want the most power for my money, this is a good route.

Another question before I do it - my car is an EX so it has a D-series trans. Is there any real difference between F2D and F2B (besides obviously keeping my trans)? It might save me a few $$$.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

f2d in an EK doesnt fit all that nicely with the shocktower. (at last with an H or DOHC valve cover.)

do-able, and its been done....

but B is easy-peasy
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm very good at fitting large things in tight places.

So, it's probably worth it to get a F2B over F2D. That's okay, transmissions are cheap these days. Not to mention that B-Series trannys are lighter/smaller.

Well, I love it. Type-R Power, GS-R price. The difficulty doesn't really phase me - I did TOYOTA swaps. Hondas are a walk in the park compared to that madness. I put a 4A-GE 20V "Blacktop" from a Levin BZ-R in a Celica... that thing had computers in every nook and cranny and had to be wired by hand. My only service manual was entirely in Japanese, a language I'm not very good at - not to mention somehow that 1.6 was bigger than the 1.8 that came out.

Putting an F series in a Civic should be simple in comparison.