Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F23 single cam vtec into EG?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F23 single cam vtec into EG?

anyone ever do this, i can get the swap out of my friends wrecked 98 CL. im geussing u use H22 mounts, anyone know?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:17 PM

keep this thread alive im also trying to gather information no this swao...as iam in the process myself...so far ive come up with a basic hh2 install...but im confused as to what axles to use ??and which hubs....can anyone shed somelight on this topic please..???
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (ChampWhiteTegra)

i'm about to do a f22a swap into my del sol. from what i've read, tho there is barely any info, you use h swap mounts.

you will need the 92-96 prelude rear tranny bracket (i dont think the accord will work w/the h mounts, but i could be wrong, this is something i need to know myself).

you can use the 90-93 accord int. shaft w/90-93 DA axles, tho you may need to swap the inner joint on the pass side axle for a prelude joint as it may pop out of the tranny.

you retain your stock hubs. you need the 90-93 accord shift cables w/shifter assembly and you'll have to cut the holes to accomodate them just like an h swap. you also, like an h swap, need to trim one of the ears on the pass side mount on the frame rail to clear the larger tranny.

i also hear that you either have to relocate the iacv sensor on the back of the intake manifold, or you have to relocate the brake cylinder thing on the firewall because otherwise the intake mani will hit it.

you most likely have to ditch a/c and ps unless you get a hasport a/c bracket or whoever else makes one.

also, the f23 is obd2, so you'd need to either get an obd1 f22 distrib or repin the obd2 distrib. and you also need the injector resistor to work with the accord injectors. i'm pretty sure you can run the p28 ecu as well.

of course some sensor wires may need to be lengthened to accomodate the new motor. and i also think that you need to have your exhaust shortened because the downpipe on the stock f23/f22 exhaust manifold is longer than the civic's, but i'm not 100% sure on this.

so if anyone has more info that would be great.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:53 PM

wow excellent information.....im planning on swapping the f22....from my 91 exr.... will i have an issue with my tranny ?? im hearing the tranny needs to at least be from a 92 ??? also if it matters my donor vehicle is a canadian model...
Old 06-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Stance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Stance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow excellent information.....im planning on swapping the f22....from my 91 exr.... will i have an issue with my tranny ?? im hearing the tranny needs to at least be from a 92 ??? also if it matters my donor vehicle is a canadian model...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not sure on the tranny...i just purchased a 92 f22a1 from a local junkyard...it definitely was hydraulic clutch. i think that is all you would need to worry about...if the tranny is hydraulic or not. i'm not sure if they were cable pre-92, but i think they were all hydro.

i don't see any reason why the canadian model may be different. do you have the f22a6? that was in the american ex model. that is rated at slightly more hp due to in part a diff cam and dual stage intake mani (like the h23).
Old 06-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (dlric)

I did this swap almost 3 years ago now, so bare with me.

I did the swap for a friend. It was a pieced together f23 swap (mostly '99-00 parts).

Use the same mount kit(we used hcp), shift linkage, and axle set-up you would with a normal h22 swap.

One difference on the f23 is the driver side mounting bracket(the part that bolts to the block is different than the h22 and f22), so the h22 mount kit did not line up. We ended up using a mounting bracket from an h22. If I remember right, 3 of the 4 holes line up. The 4th hole needs notched out to fit and then some of the upper bracket needs shaved off(once you hold the bracket up to the block, it is obvious how much needs taken off).

A few other problems:
The obd2B injectors no longer required a resistor box, but they also changed the size of them. And since we were gong to be running the motor off of a '95 accord ex ecu(which is meant to run the older size injectors), it wouldnt run right.
Another problem was with the IACV. The f23 uses a 3 wire, but the obd1 ecu that we were using only used a 2 wire. And I dont think the older IACVs bolted to the new manifold.
Anyway, we ended up, just throwing a '96 complete manifold on the motor and wired in a resistor box.
Problems solved.

If I remember right, everything else went exactly like an h22 swap.

The car was torquey as hell and a blast to drive!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (Slopoke)

thanks man for the info, you rock. it seems like no one has done this swap. looking at the pic, it looks like one of the sensors almost rubs that brake cylinder thing on the firewall...it looks like you managed to get it to fit w/o having to modify it...right on.

one of the reasons i chose to do the f22a is because it's already obd1, so i'm ...hoping... that that will decrease some of the problems.

do you remmeber...i know this was 3 yrs ago...the axle setup you used?

thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah we had to move the fuel filter and push some of the brake lines out of the way.

We used a accord 5spd intermediate shaft and '90-'93 integra axles.
It worked out good.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet, that is the axle setup that i'm going to use. ok, so i am going to have to move some of the brake lines. hmm. that should be interesting. thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use an F23 with H22 head and RSX pistons....... killer combo!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 PM

Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (fastwanabe)

the motor im using is an f22a4 not sure what its rated at ....im also planning on turbocharging it if i can find the space....im having a ramhorn made up for it to mate with my mk3 ct26......i remember reading that the inner portion of the drive shaft on the passenger side had to be from a 92-96 prelude ??? apparently the da passenger shaft may fall out or something like that....
Old 06-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (The Stance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Stance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i remember reading that the inner portion of the drive shaft on the passenger side had to be from a 92-96 prelude ??? apparently the da passenger shaft may fall out or something like that....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats only if your using a prelude intermediate shaft(male end).

If your're using an accord intermediate shaft(female end), the integra axles plug right in.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM

excellent news....this is going to be one fun swap.....can i eliminate the resistor box ??? the setup is obd-1
Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, you need to use the resistor box, if you plan of using stock injectors.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:06 PM

so what exactly does this box do ?? im a bit confused as to why i cant eliminate it ....the only thing that comes to mind is a different spray patter from the injector...could i not solve this problem by using perhaps a d-series injector ??
Old 06-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The peak and hold injectors only use 6-8volts. You car is a 12volt system, so the resistor box uses resistance to remove some of the voltage going to your injectors.

You cannot use D series injectors. They are the wrong size. So are B series.
There are no stock honda injectors that are the correct size and saturated(use all 12 volts)
Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 PM

ohhh alright thanks for the explanation it really helps explain things.....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm this could def be a good thing... I may have to do this in the future.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:21 PM

forget he future ive already started....im droppn the f22 out tomorrow morning....gonna clean it up a little and what not...and today im preping my engine bay for the new motor.....im waiting for my h-series swap mounts from ETD racing here in canada...
Old 06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm picking up my f22a tomorrow so will give an update when i put it in if anyone has interest.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This has got to be the best help/imformation post I've seen in years on HT!

I've thought of this swap before when I owned a 93 hatch. Sounds to be cheap cause of the F series being as fought out for as much as a D series enigne.... dime a dozen.

Posting a reply to bump this post/topic. I'll definatley be checking back. I'm needing another car for just a trip to the P&R everyday. Considering a high mileage 92/95 civic sedan waiting for a cheaper daily driver swap.

Please post your project in progress and good luck!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F23 single cam vtec into EG? (D16Z6racing)

here's a quick update...a couple things have held off mounting the f22a in:

two holes on the '92 accord tranny i'm using need to be tapped...the h22a mount kit uses holes that are already tapped on the prelude tranny...this is for the tranny side mount.

2/3 bolts that bolt the rear tranny mount into the rear crossmember are not long enough to work with the new mount. they are tapered off on the ends, but i found a couple regular bolts that were long enough...i will use loctite to make sure they won't come out.

it looks like you definitely need the prelude rear tranny bracket to use with the new rear mount...it's $60 from honda...i'm trying to track one down locally for less...that has caused the swap to be delayed.

also, the 90-93 accord lx/dx models have the MAP sensor on the firewall, so i'm going to see if i can get a 94-97 accord TB because i'm pretty sure it has the MAP on it.

oh, also, the accord o2 sensor has a female connector on it, and the eg harness has a female connector...so i'm going to see if the eg o2 sensor will fit into the accord exhaust manifold.

Modified by dlric at 4:26 PM 6/21/2006
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 PM

f22/f23 to b
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dxcoupe.)

another small update:

engine still isn't in the damn car because i can't seem to find a rear tranny prelude bracket anywhere, and i really don't want to pay $65 for a new one.

but...

it appears that the '92 f22a has an external ignition coil. however, the '90 f22a distributor that i have is actually internally coiled. so, i lucked out big time here. i thought i would have had to pull the internal coil out of a d15 distrib and try to fit it in the f22a distrib, but thankfully it doesn't appear that i have to do that.

also, the f22b does use a MAP sensor on the TB itself. however, the f22b throttle body does not bolt onto the f22a intake manifold...the mounting holes are completely different. so, i pulled the MAP sensor off the f22b TB and i'll just run a vacuum tube to it and mount it somewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F23 single cam vtec into EG?