Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Urgent* b16a kept stalling after it warms up!

Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Urgent* b16a kept stalling after it warms up!

Hello Honda-tech members! I haven't been on here for quite some time now, and I bought an EK hatch 2 years back and did a JDM B16A swap into it. I drove it for a year and half and it was fine, but after a work injury, I didn't go to work and did not drive the car for 2 months. Then I started the car after two months, it started nice and strong. I drove it to the gas station, after a fill up, it suddenly start stalling and back firing. I slowly drove it to my friend's house's parking lot and tried to diagnose the problem. We found out that it starts fine in the cold, but once it warms up, it will start stalling and back firing and eventually just stalls and won't start. Before it stalls, it has this loud sucking goring sound too. I am unsure if it is the intake making that sound. The spark plugs should be all fine. Some one said it might be the main relay fault and I changed that too, no luck. Could it be the distributor or fuel pump? I got a B16A2 distributor cap to try and change it, and it didn't fit. Where can I source a b16a cap, if that is really the problem? We took off the distributor cap and found some rush inside the cap, not sure if that's really bad. Someone please enlighten me on this!!! The car has been sitting there for over a month already and I am scared one day someone would tow it. THANKS!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Urgent* b16a kept stalling after it warms up!

hello! benz 05tsx... there is a lil two wire round plug that lives underneath the distributor called the coolant temp sensor. if the sensor goes bad or gets unplugged it will give the ecu the wrong information taus cousin it to die upon warm up. i would check that sensor and plug. hopefully none of the wires are striped bare and giving it a faulty reading.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by singlecamDA9
hello! benz 05tsx... there is a lil two wire round plug that lives underneath the distributor called the coolant temp sensor. if the sensor goes bad or gets unplugged it will give the ecu the wrong information taus cousin it to die upon warm up. i would check that sensor and plug. hopefully none of the wires are striped bare and giving it a faulty reading.
Hey singlecamDA9 Thanks for the reply. Do you have any picture of where the plug is? I only got my friend to take the cap off, but haven't touch the distributor. How do I tell if the sensor is bad?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:31 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It's labeled TW sensor

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
It's labeled TW sensor

I only found one sensor on the back of the distributor and it seems fine. Tonight we cleaned the dizzy cap and it finally started. But once it warmed up and we started driving, it kept wanting to stall and eventually stalled and wouldn't start. Anyone know what the problem is?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it started running bad right after a fill up, why not suspect the new fuel?
It could be contaminated with water or debris - or the wrong fuel (diesel, kerosene, ?)