Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f20b swap on integra wont start!! pliz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 f20b swap on integra wont start!! pliz help

well guys Really need help on this i did the f20b swap on a 94 integra everything is wired right. I think (lol) now i got the obd2 distributor on it new the colors on the wires match so i match the colors. starter is good. i thought it was the distributor so i got the wires,rotor,cap, igniter and coil i changed all of them battery is good. i got a basemap on a p28 of the f20b.the grounds are fine now i dont have the o2 sensor on the exauste part so is not conected. now the first day i tryed starting my car it started but then it shut off and didnt want to start again but i noticed that the car was on but all the lights on my dash where on also.

the questions:

do i have to depin anything from the ecu or switch wires to make it work?

would i have to add a ground cause the engine is bigger?

did i do right wiring the alternator to match the colors?

wat else would keep the engine form starting?

should i just change the distributor?

any help would b good thanx!!

oh iam using the f20b distributor all i did was add the signal wire on the ignitr.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: f20b swap on integra wont start!! pliz help

First things first, check all grounds. Whether you're installing a V6 or D15, its not the size of the ground (versus engine size), its the quality and location of the ground thats important. Putting the ground wire on a rusted part of the body is an example of a bad location/quality ground.

Dont mess around with any ecu wires, pins, or connectors if you are sure every sensor has a proper connection and is connected to the appropriate location. Doing that will start causing confusion. Just go over the connections you.ve changed with a diagram to make sure you did it right.

Since the F20B has an OBDII connection at the alternator you need to match the wires with a manual, not necessarily the color. Ive done these before but its been so long i dont remember which colors go where, but its very easy. NOTE: it will not affect the car's starting, but it will affect its charging.

There's a large group of causes for a car not to start. Making sure that the car has its necessities (Air, fuel, spark, compression) will rule out most of them, the others are electrical. mechanical, and sensor related.

In the F20B dizzy, Im going to assume you did the wiring right if it started (because it doesnt have the 2pin plug) did you add the 2pin plug and take the 12V ignition (black/yellow) wire off the 8pin plug and solder it to a 2pin plug so it could snap into your stock harness? and the unused pin on the igntior is your tach signal did you add the blue wire from the 2pin plug and connect it to that lone pin? i know you said all you did was add the signal wire to the ignitor but what signal?

if you end up wanting to get a new dizzy, the one you should get it a TD-60, which is an H22 OBD1 internal coil dizzy. Snaps right in, no wiring, done.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok on the alternator it wasnt the one that came with the car i bought it new from advance auto parts all i did was find a 0bd2 conector and match the color from my harness to the conector. for every wire color that was on the plug my harness had the same amount of wires and colors.

on the distributor yes i did wat you told me to the 2pin connector i added the siganal and the 12v black /yell wire to the conector and i have looked online and call the honda dealers around my area and when i ask them for a inner coil h22 distributor or the td60 they say their is no such thing the only 1 i found was on ebay but i dont trust it

question?

from the connections that i did i extended the alternator wires did that to the distributor and the intake control valve then everything else pluged right in from the things i did wat would prevent the car from starting???
Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and thanx for the help you have helped through the whole swap thank you sir!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the guys at the Honda dealer for the most part dont know anything (depends on where you go). For that distributor, DIstributor King sells it, as well as some of the eBay sellers. I personally bought mine from Distributor King.

Did you check for spark? Does it crank? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check your pressure? Let me know those things
Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i got spark but dont know if is enough. it cranks yes and no i have no fuel presure guage but it was dumping fuel because you can smell it when trying to crank and could you send me a link for that thistributor from distributor knig i dont seem to find it thanks again
Old 01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the link to his ebay store http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND...Q5fAccessories

If youre smelling fuel during cranking and the motor isnt turning over chances are you have an ignition problem. Send me a pic of your wiring if you can i'll figure that out for you
Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and when u say ignition its from the distributor to the sparkplugs? ok il take some picture of everything i pluged in and everything i did thanx again
Old 01-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check the timing before swapping it in? Also are the spark plus wiring in the correct firing order?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you do know that the f20b much like the h22 runs low impedence injectors! i.e. dsm 450s
Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96ekdowork
you do know that the f20b much like the h22 runs low impedence injectors! i.e. dsm 450s
Thats absolutely wrong. They are saturated 310cc.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i know they are saturated just like the 1 my integra had and on the timing i dont know how to check it everything looked fine though when i took the valve cover off and check the timing belt for craks now i had a mechanic take a look at it tryed all the conections i did the car sends a signal to the injectors so we have gas he said it had a little bit a spark i saw him hooking up a computer to the car and showed me a graph on his computer talking about how their was a inteference on a blk and yellow wire that came form the main relay then i guess it connects to the ecu and then on the distributor so he told me that it could take him a long to really figure out what was the problem he started giving me mechanic bull sht so i just listend he said he would charge me about 600 to have it up and running i asked him what the problem was and no answer so i think iam going to order the distributor if not is their any way to check the main relay to see if is good or not beacuse thats what i was thinking of first because it started it and now it doesnt. thank you guys for all the help
Old 01-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jr_deleon
Thats absolutely wrong. They are saturated 310cc.
lol so your telling me i cant drop 450's in my F20b and run it like i already had for my basemap and then when i went to get tuned i dropped 560cc evos in it without doing a damn thing, and now i am back to all motor with 310cc and i still havent done anything to it and i have since been tuned.

haha
Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94_INTEGRA_LS
yea i know they are saturated just like the 1 my integra had and on the timing i dont know how to check it everything looked fine though when i took the valve cover off and check the timing belt for craks now i had a mechanic take a look at it tryed all the conections i did the car sends a signal to the injectors so we have gas he said it had a little bit a spark i saw him hooking up a computer to the car and showed me a graph on his computer talking about how their was a inteference on a blk and yellow wire that came form the main relay then i guess it connects to the ecu and then on the distributor so he told me that it could take him a long to really figure out what was the problem he started giving me mechanic bull sht so i just listend he said he would charge me about 600 to have it up and running i asked him what the problem was and no answer so i think iam going to order the distributor if not is their any way to check the main relay to see if is good or not beacuse thats what i was thinking of first because it started it and now it doesnt. thank you guys for all the help

im telling you man injectors, black and yellow wires are usually injectors, do me a favor disconnect the bolts to your fuel rail, lift the fuel rail while injectors are still in tack, but just enough so when you crank the fuel goes into the motor, when you initially crank the motor all 4 will squirt fuel then they will go in the firing order! just listen to me man i have an f20b in a 92 hatch right now! here are my vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgGNmeRYHg ---- dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvZQMvqvpjE ---- race vs a z24 cavy
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol so your telling me i cant drop 450's in my F20b and run it like i already had for my basemap and then when i went to get tuned i dropped 560cc evos in it without doing a damn thing, and now i am back to all motor with 310cc and i still havent done anything to it and i have since been tuned.

haha
Are you serious? Read your post. Youre trying to tell him his STOCK F20B INJECTORS are peak and hold, low impedence like the 93-95 Prelude VTEC's H22 saturated injectors are HIGH impedence. Thats the point im making. Because he and I have talked about this in the past (ask him yourself) he kknows what i mean. For you to come in and start throwing that "info" in there makes no sense. I've done more F20B swaps than countable on one hand (6), in fact, when I did my brother's he ditched the F20B injectors for a set of peak and hold RC440s and guess what they arent plug up and drive. Why? Because his car, like 94_INTEGRA_LS', came from the factory without a resistor box. So i had to add it to accomodate the injectors.

And if you couldve added more information, like the fact that 93-95 Prelude VTECs were 345cc low impedence and 96-01 were 290cc high impedence, then you can say "you do know that the F20B, like the 96-01 Prelude H22 runs HIGH impedence injectors. Instead you posted "you do know that the f20b much like the h22 runs low impedence injectors! i.e. dsm 450s " Hmmm hahaha. You can run any injector just about in any car, so long as it either has/hasnt the proper resistance for the said injector.

Me saying you're wrong has nothing to do with what injectors work or not, tuned or not. Im saying you cannot tell someone that one injector runs the same type of resistance as another without facts. I've used and tested many types of injectors and i know what works (drop in) and modified.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im telling you man injectors, black and yellow wires are usually injectors, do me a favor disconnect the bolts to your fuel rail, lift the fuel rail while injectors are still in tack, but just enough so when you crank the fuel goes into the motor, when you initially crank the motor all 4 will squirt fuel then they will go in the firing order! just listen to me man i have an f20b in a 92 hatch right now! here are my vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BgGNmeRYHg ---- dyno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvZQMvqvpjE ---- race vs a z24 cavy
Now this: are you talking about a solid black wire and a solid yellow or a black with the yellow stripe? Because as memory serves me, solid black is usually a ground and solid yellow is the ground input for injector #4. A black/yellow wire is the 12v ignition. Always. So according to you that black/yellow wire coming out of his dizzy means the dizzy controls the injectors, that the ignition switch controls the injectors too? No way. The injectors dont even have a black/yellow wire connected to them. Go through your car: fuel pump, IACV, and many other sensors have the black/yellow wire. Its 12v ignition which feeds power to various sensors it is NOT injector wires. Plus he summed up what the mechanic told him the problem was. That black/yellow wire from the main relay that is damaged is the culprit according to the OP.

And im not ragging down on you but what are you trying to say: that because you swapped an F20B in a 92 hatch means you know whats wrong with the no-start situation? He can check to see if the motor is on time by many other means and he can check the if the injectors are firing in ways other than pulling the rail and cranking it. So that means based off what you said that I, who has done 6 F20B swaps not including my own 2.2L built F20B H2B going down in May, should be more qualified. Thats not how this works. We are trying to help him with a no start situation that could happen to ANY swap in ANY car with ANY injector.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for all the help but i checked the injectors with the machenic and they get a pulse every time you try to crank it now i searched in google wat the main purpose of the relay was and it says something about it has a signal that goes to the ecu now i can hear my fuel pump ckick in when i put my key in the ignition plus you can smell the gas when trying to crank so iam preaty sure its getting gas now the question is wwould that made my car startr and then it didnt? or could of been a short in a wire and it got fried? now i got the p28 with hondata s100 with the f20b basemap now if i was tohook my ls ecu would it start the car??? if nothing was wrong ??cause the mechanic looked at all the wiring i did and he said it was fine because i didnt do that many changes thanx guys for all the help
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you serious? Read your post. Youre trying to tell him his STOCK F20B INJECTORS are peak and hold, low impedence like the 93-95 Prelude VTEC's H22 saturated injectors are HIGH impedence. Thats the point im making. Because he and I have talked about this in the past (ask him yourself) he kknows what i mean. For you to come in and start throwing that "info" in there makes no sense. I've done more F20B swaps than countable on one hand (6), in fact, when I did my brother's he ditched the F20B injectors for a set of peak and hold RC440s and guess what they arent plug up and drive. Why? Because his car, like 94_INTEGRA_LS', came from the factory without a resistor box. So i had to add it to accomodate the injectors.

And if you couldve added more information, like the fact that 93-95 Prelude VTECs were 345cc low impedence and 96-01 were 290cc high impedence, then you can say "you do know that the F20B, like the 96-01 Prelude H22 runs HIGH impedence injectors. Instead you posted "you do know that the f20b much like the h22 runs low impedence injectors! i.e. dsm 450s " Hmmm hahaha. You can run any injector just about in any car, so long as it either has/hasnt the proper resistance for the said injector.

Me saying you're wrong has nothing to do with what injectors work or not, tuned or not. Im saying you cannot tell someone that one injector runs the same type of resistance as another without facts. I've used and tested many types of injectors and i know what works (drop in) and modified.
what the **** is your arguement, because my 92 civic did not run low impedence injectors from the factory either, but doing the wiring required we have a resistor box to run stock h22 injectors, along with the obd1 h22 intake manifold. and im telling you i directly dropped EVO 560's which are low impedence directly into MY car.

upon doing a swap and posting questions i assumed he already did the wiring required instead of trying to drop everything in and plug it up and play. OP. try loading an obd1 h22 basemap onto the chip thats what i had before i was tuned and it ran good. from the sounds of it you might have flooded it, have you pulled your plugs? if your smelling fuel just from cranking im guessing your getting way too much.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you serious? Read your post. Youre trying to tell him his STOCK F20B INJECTORS are peak and hold, low impedence like the 93-95 Prelude VTEC's H22 saturated injectors are HIGH impedence. .
let me rephrase that since your a little dumb and i missed a few words, in order to make it run in an obd1 acura integra your easiest thing to do would be use the obd1 h22 intake manifold, obd1 h22 injectors, the iacv should plug up, any civic, accord, integra map sensor will work.

NOW upon using the all the obd1 h22 parts, their injectors, like i use do require some sort of resistor, resistor box, or the inline resistors from radio shack. if your running internal coil distributor i think the code of the correct dizzy is td-60 or td-60u one of the 2.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude calm down. Seriously Im going to break down your post.

Let's say he, the OP, did not know any better and you posted that. Then, he went and grabbed some injectors that were low-impedence because he followed what your post said. Then he really would have some serious problems because he wouldnt have known that he needed a resistor box or inline resistors. But as we all very well seen, he knew that his injectors were high impedence so why were the DSM's even brought up if they are entirely different injectors than what he has? He never said anything about using any other injectors, and it wasnt even an argument I was getting to the facts.

All i said was that your post was incorrect as far as saying the F20B had low-impedence injectors like the H22. What's not to understand from that? Did i throw a **** at you? No. Did i attack you personally? No. Is everyone right with everything they say or post? No. Like i said in my other post, if you said the F20B injectors were like the 96-01 Prelude H22 injectors (all of which are high-impedence) then i wouldnt have said anything. But if i didnt, do you have any idea how many noobs would turn around and say, "well i read somewhere that....." then the OP thread is cluttered. The very fact he has f20b injectors (which i know he does because i told him they'd work on his chassis) tells you and everyone else that he has no resistor box so thats out of the question anyway so why that point was brought up i dont know. Everyone on here thats been around as long as i have knows that as fact. So again relax. If anything i said offended you or you took the wrong way I apologize but nothing wass meant as an attack.

94_INTEGRA_LS, pm me if you have any questions.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me rephrase that since your a little dumb and i missed a few words, in order to make it run in an obd1 acura integra your easiest thing to do would be use the obd1 h22 intake manifold, obd1 h22 injectors, the iacv should plug up, any civic, accord, integra map sensor will work.

NOW upon using the all the obd1 h22 parts, their injectors, like i use do require some sort of resistor, resistor box, or the inline resistors from radio shack. if your running internal coil distributor i think the code of the correct dizzy is td-60 or td-60u one of the 2.
Is the name calling necessary? Really? How am i dumb? Because i happen to know whats needed and when facts are missing all it does is ask questions that clutter a thread? He told me when he sent me PMs that he wanted to use the injectors he had. So thats what i have him doing. Why you'd call me dumb without knowing that is beyond me. Totally uncalled for. You are taking things i post the wrong way. Seriously calm down even after you do your name calling is anyone doing it back? Think about it the whole point he never said he wanted to run those injectors so why did you bring them up? Thats the whole point of how this garbage was started in the first place; you took something out of proportion and even when im being the bigger person in the situation and apologized to you, youre still hopped up for no reason whatsoever.