Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH

Old 09-18-2003, 12:18 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH

Ok heres the deal:
<U> The layout </U>
-93 civic hatch w/ jdm gsr motor
-installed by my friend and I about 7 months or so ago
-replaced all oem parts that need be when doing a swap (rotor,cap,wires, plugs, etc)
-Car is never driven hard and driven always with care ( with care: change oil every 2,000, always let car warm up and cool down, can count the # of times vtec engages per week on one hand )

<U> Problem </U>

Everything is practically new on teh motor considering i have had to replce alot of things. A little less than a month ago, I had to replace the dist. because the coil went bad. I cam eto this conclusion first when the car would stall every once in a while and then went dead about a month later.

Anyways now that it has ben replaced the car has been running great However today had a case of Dejavoo*(know the spelling is off...lol) I went out to my car and started it up. It was in nuetral, so I let it warm up a sec (about a min.) then I put in the clutch, shifted into first, but realized i had to run back inside. So I shifted back into nuetral and let out te clutch. All of a sudden teh revs slowley died and the car stalled!?!? Then I tried starting it and it took about 6 coughs before it started again! this is what happened before I replaced my dist. Whats going on?

Last but not least:
<U> A Few Things To Consider </U>
-The car is running a little rich, but nothing serious at all.
-i am taking te car into be correctly timed by Honda next week, seeing as how a local shop didnt do it right the first time (Could this be my problem? ia m throwing code 8:TDC)

Sorry in advance if any of this is too confusing, but I am trying to give as much info as possible so you can have a full understanding of my cars "personality". I see too often people not giving enough info......So ask away if i havent.
-Dylan
Old 09-18-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (dohcVTEChatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So I shifted back into nuetral and let out te clutch. All of a sudden teh revs slowley died and the car stalled!?!? Then I tried starting it and it took about 6 coughs before it started again! this is what happened before I replaced my dist. Whats going on?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like the same symptoms my wife's old Mazda was having. She would it in gear it would idle real low and then stall. It would happen when she first started the car or when she would stop at a light. The problem was either with a crack/hole in the air intake or bad vacuum hose, I forget which.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, sounds like a distributor problem once again being the Code 8 (TDC Sensor) which is located inside the distributor.

I would first of all check the internals of the distributor for unusual wear on the cap/rotor and check the condition of carbon/residue build up inside the distributor.

Check those then let us know what the deal is -- if not PM me if necessary.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:40 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, sounds like a distributor problem once again being the Code 8 (TDC Sensor) which is located inside the distributor.

I would first of all check the internals of the distributor for unusual wear on the cap/rotor and check the condition of carbon/residue build up inside the distributor.

Check those then let us know what the deal is -- if not PM me if necessary.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the thing though, its only a month old and I purchased it brand spanking new!!
Could it be that the timing is off and thats why? I am baffeled as to why this is happeneing......Only happened once since the new dist has been put on.
But thats the thing that scares me because it happened once before, about a month before the dist that came with the motor wore out

This sucks.....lol
Old 09-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the thing though, its only a month old and I purchased it brand spanking new!!
Could it be that the timing is off and thats why? I am baffeled as to why this is happeneing......Only happened once since the new dist has been put on.
But thats the thing that scares me because it happened once before, about a month before the dist that came with the motor wore out

This sucks.....lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

even though it's a new distributor, it still can be defective from the factory. I had my perfectly brand new distributor go bad too.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sucks.....lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don`t believe timing would cause it at all. Your motor should be at TDC if it`s been running that long, or even someone along the lines of TDC to NOT have an effect on the distributor.

You`re throwing code 8 which is the TDC sensor inside the distributor which is meaning your ECU doesn't know when the hell TDC is to work with the CKP (crank position) and other dizzy sensors.

I`d just check the internals, and try another distributor

Sorry you`re having those problems man...
Old 09-19-2003, 07:40 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (poison)

Holy **** this sucks......i am at college and I dont have anymore money to spend on another dist.!!

is there any other reason that this code would come up and is there any easier way just to replace the sensor inside?

Why me?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTEChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there any easier way just to replace the sensor inside?</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't easy as it's not really what you would call a sensor, to change it out is difficult at least to me. I tried to do it on a D series distributor and gave up
I would definitely check the timing and make sure that everything is lining up correctly before buying another distributor. Your timing belt can be off a notch or 2 and the motor will still run without hurting any internals, but it would run like crap and possibly throw the TDC code like yours is.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:53 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (VTECVillain)

Thanks
Old 09-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the dist new or rebuilt. Isnt it under a warrantee at all?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This isn't easy as it's not really what you would call a sensor, to change it out is difficult at least to me. I tried to do it on a D series distributor and gave up
I would definitely check the timing and make sure that everything is lining up correctly before buying another distributor. Your timing belt can be off a notch or 2 and the motor will still run without hurting any internals, but it would run like crap and possibly throw the TDC code like yours is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Distributors are not hard to disassemble/reassemble.

btw, before you go spending $$... have you checked other possibilities ? like an old fuel filter or vaccum leaks ?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:11 PM

Have you thought about looking into your charging system? Even if the dist. is brand new, without the proper amount of voltage and amperage being maintained by your alternator it will not work right. Check your belt, also make sure you have clean connections throughout your system. If you can get it going again take to an autoparts store that can do an on car charging system check(usually free). Make sure the amperage output is within 10% of what it was new.Good luck
Old 09-20-2003, 01:27 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Enough Already!!! GSR/HATCH (pm41)

Good info pm41

i will make sure I put that on my "to do list"......Oh and the car is running, it just cut off that one time, but thats what sacred me because it did the same before with my old dist, and then a month later the coil went bad.

Ohh and once again the dist. is new and only about a month old and there is no waranty.