Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine will not crank on H22 EG Swap, electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not crank on H22 EG Swap, electrical?

I was finishing up the swap today for this guy and went to start it up, and it won't crank. I installed the new gauges for him (air/fuel and oil pressure) and after that, it didnt start. Since I had to splice into the ignition and headlight wires, I figured it might be something there, but it wasn't. I took the gauges back out, and double checked the wiring for the ignition and lights, and it was okay. Let me describe what's going on when I go to start it: You turn the ignition on and it beeps and the fuel pressure raises like normal. The cluster lights come on, and then all go off but the normal ones. Then you go to turn the key from one to start and it doesn't do anything. No noises or cranking or anything. Why? How? This is pissing me off. I need this car done, any help would be appreciated. Also, anyone in the Bradenton/Tampa area willing to help, let me know. I will compensate. Please provide all your ideas as what to check. Nothing has changed since Friday when it started up last, except the gauges as described. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine will not crank on H22 EG Swap, electrical? (suncoastcustoms)

I found this yellow connector hanging down near the fuse box, any ideas? It was not connected and I never disconnected it, maybe it got yanked out or something. The wires were very shreaded looking. Any ideas what this is and if it can be related to my delima. Any other ideas again that could prevent it from plain cranking would be great.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for over night crew.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Number one, you need a clutch master cylinder and number 2 have you checked to see if the starter is ok?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that looks like the connector to the clutch switch...
check to make sure you have two connectors plugged into the switches that the clutch pedal activates.
You should be able to jump that yellow 2 pin connector and the try starting it again, if that fixes it its because its not plugged into the top switch on the clutch pedal.
Make sure you have it in neutral before you try starting it since the car can start in gear without the clutch being pushed in while you have the connector jumped!!!
let us know if this fixes your problem... if it doesnt I have many more things for you to check... :-)
Old 05-03-2004, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have blown a fuse or so.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine will not crank on H22 EG Swap, electrical? (jdmcivicferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Number one, you need a clutch master cylinder and number 2 have you checked to see if the starter is ok?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It has a clutch master cylinder, but I am going to check the starter with a test light today (negative bat. cable and starter solenoid connection).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mochanic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that looks like the connector to the clutch switch...
check to make sure you have two connectors plugged into the switches that the clutch pedal activates.
You should be able to jump that yellow 2 pin connector and the try starting it again, if that fixes it its because its not plugged into the top switch on the clutch pedal.
Make sure you have it in neutral before you try starting it since the car can start in gear without the clutch being pushed in while you have the connector jumped!!!
let us know if this fixes your problem... if it doesnt I have many more things for you to check... :-)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will check for any other connections missing on the clutch pedal area, or at least I will try to jump the connector if it is just a safety switch. I will let you know, hopefully its something simple like that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might have blown a fuse or so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will check the fuses again today. I checked most of them in the in-car fuse box yesterday, and all the ones in the under hood box.

Thanks for suggestions, I will let you all know.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:23 AM

There is a black/white large wire that runs all the way to the starter. You can just unclip it and then check for voltage when the keep is in the start position.. If you have no volatage then something is wrong with your wiring on the ingition to harness side.

If you do have voltage next just run a power wire straight from the batter to the same pin on the starter and see if it moves if so then there is a loss of power somwhere in the wire. If not then your starter is dead and needs to be replaced..
Old 05-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no I am saying you need one because the clutch master cylinder is leaking
Old 05-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yea hook up the clutch switch. might help.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I jumped the clutch safety and it started fine, thanks.