Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap woes: all help appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap woes: all help appreciated.

swap: USDM 97 B18C1 to 96 civic DX

problems:

will not idle until engine is warm, idles at 500-750RPM
IAB innoperative (always open, no vacuum to solenoid valve)
running extremely rich
peculiar stutter when engine RPM is held at 1500
no check engine light

the wiring harness has been modified by place racing. the check engine light does not come on no matter what happens (injector unplugged, MAP sensor unplugged, so and and so forth). it does, however come on briefly right as the engine is started then goes off(just like in any fuel injected car). this is probably place racing's fault. i recieved it, put it on the car, took it back off, sent it back to place racing, then put it back on again. when i recieved it the first time, vtec did not work. when i recieved it the second time, vtec worked. place racing said they did not change anything upon recieving it the second time ( ). the car failed emissions (489ppm, 220ppm max allowed) and has a one month old catalytic converter. the engine is as from the factory, aside from a filter on a stick & exhaust. the ECU is good; i've tested it in other cars. i cannot check any codes the ecu is throwing because the CEL is not wired/does not work. the IAB solenoid valve functions properly, but no vacuum is being supplied.

i see two possibilities:

1. wiring is incorrect. place racing garuntees their work and i've sent the harness to them twice.
2. some sensor is fucked. im not sure if this could account for all of the problems.

all help is immensly appreciated. if anyone has a 97 integra helms they want to get rid of, please let me know.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine swap woes: all help appreciated. (Wide Open Throttle)

The CEL would not light up on start-up if the wiring to the ECU was not there. The ECU turns on the CEL when you first turn on the car. Place Racing probably did not move the wire in the harness from pin A14 to pin A12. This wire needs to be moved for the IACV to work. This controls the idle during warm up. Chances are that Place Racing did not add the wire for the IAB.

The above only applies if you are using the DX engine harness and the P72 ECU.

As to why the CEL does not come on when you disconnect ****, it likely won't come on from unplugging an injector, or if the wire for the IAB is not there. But it should come on if the MAP is unplugged, or if the wire for the IACV is in the wrong place. The idle problem could be something wrong with vaccum hoses and coolant hoses.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:55 AM
New User

First things first. Do you have the Helms manual for the 97 Teg? if not, get it. it's the ONLY way to really understand and diagnose the fuel & ignition system.

I'll run through the problems and tell you how i would diagnose them:

The IAB, Check wire continuity from the solenoid plug to the ECU. I don't know which pin it is on the OBD2 computer (thats why you need the manual) The black wire should show contiunity to chassis ground. You said you are not getting vacuum at the IAB solenoid. Did you check the hose from the vacuum canister under the manifold? if you have a vacuum leak it could be the source of your idle problems (although a leak would probably cause a fluctuating idle)

Check the fast idle valve

Check/replace all vacuum hoses. sometimes they can get pinched at the nipple (don't you just hate when that happens) and it can cut the hose but it will look fine on a visual inspection.

Check the MAP sensor. A faulty MAP sensor could be the cuase of your running rich.

Check the throttle position sensor. .45 volts closed +/- .05v, to 4 volts at WOT (the more important voltage it the one at closed)

Your problem probably lies in one or or some combination of the things listed above. Good Luck!

Mike

Mike
Old 04-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap woes: all help appreciated. (92sleepR)

i've checked the IAB wire on the ECU connector, and a 98 helms says it should be elsewhere. the ECU, however, is a 97 and as i understand it there was a software revision from 97 to 98.

another question: the 98 helms compared to a 96-00 haynes manual shows that there are changes from 97 to 98. the ECU ran fine in 96, 98, and 99 integras. how is this possible?

thanks for all the input.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did u get your engine from
Old 04-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap woes: all help appreciated. (djay86)

CORRECTION:

CEL light *NEVER* comes on, not even at startup. i was mistaken.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1 of 2 problems then. Either the wire for the CEL is not there/connected, or the bulb is burnt out/gone. This is your first thing to fix. Then you will be able to get your codes, and fix the rest of the problems.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap woes: all help appreciated. (Jaker)

i've moved the IAB wire and grounded it correctly (it was getting 12v from what should have been the ground ) and that got it working. i moved the IACV pin from A14 to A12, and that got the idle to come up. it's still running rich, and the idle when the engine is cold is 2500+ upon startup, lingers at 1500 when the engine is warm, but eventually drops down to 750.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOT where did u get this engine from
Old 04-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine swap woes: all help appreciated. (djay86)

^
Old 04-11-2002, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

96-98 EX harness will solve your problems.

I paid $100 for mine.

What did Gil at Place charge you to wire yours up?
http://www.jspectuning.com/6gen/

Hope you get it running right.......
Old 04-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you fixed the CEL problem? Are you getting any codes? You have to start there if you want to fix it properly.