Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine swap for a ek

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap for a ek

pretty nooby question really. originally i was planning to boost my car. and did all my research and now im thinking maybe an engine swap will be better in the long run.havent been on honda-tech in a while.

ok so my budget for over all is like 1500 give or take a 200. this how much i want to spend with everything said and done. looking to hit mid 14's hope fully lower. engines ive been looking into are b18b,b20z,b18c and b18c1(probably not cause of money)and the b16. what engine would u guys recommend. sorry bout the noob question. by the way right now i have a stock ek hatch 98 d16y7 with bolt ons. thanks to any help
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM
New User

Default Re: engine swap for a ek (big-cat)

just boost it...i put my kit for $400 or less
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a garret td04 sitting in my garrage. but that is all i have and not trying to be an *** but u didnt answer my question.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (big-cat)

i would go b20 w/b16 tranny. Its gonna be around 2k with all hardware and parts.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah a b20 is what i want its just i heard its a bit of a pain cause u can just throw it in. but would it be worth it? compared to just getting like a b16. what i really want is a b20z with a v-tec head and the b16 tranny.

any other recommendations guys.(turbo isnt going to be as reliable as n/a.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was in the same boat..had everything for the turbo, about 10 minutes before installing decided that travelling 300 miles to school, wasnt a great idea with turbo...gsr swap prolly in the summer, so gluck with ur choice!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock b20z with a gsr tranny and bolt ons should do but 1500 is not enough for many motors
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine swap for a ek (big-cat)

Boost is not unreliable, thats an ignorant thing to say.

Just so you get a conservative tune there is really no reason why you couldn't drive a boosted car everyday.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big-cat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah a b20 is what i want its just i heard its a bit of a pain cause u can just throw it in. but would it be worth it? compared to just getting like a b16. what i really want is a b20z with a v-tec head and the b16 tranny.

any other recommendations guys.(turbo isnt going to be as reliable as n/a.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My recommendations are as follows:

1.) stop saying v-tec. It's not v-tec, it's VTEC. It's an acronym for "variable valve timing and electronic lift control", not "v-technology". Seriously: it says VTEC on your valve cover

2.) do more research and less asking strangers on the internet. It's obvious you have no idea how far that amount of money will get you because of the "possible motors" you listed. A few hours in the forced induction and hybrid forums will point you in the right direction.

3.) stop assuming and start knowing. You'll be surprised how much more simple the world becomes when you put some effort into understanding it.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some need a **** break. lol
Old 09-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Malakai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some need a **** break. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason why it seems that way is that when he posts, you are reading words of someone with intelligence, probably something that you are unaccustomed to if you come to this forum frequently.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the basic details on all of the b-series motors key word basic. turbo wise i can assemble a kit its just its a pain to find parts and then having to tweak the kit every so often of course a kit can be reliable. but u have to play with it every couple of months were as an engine needs reg. maintanance. and sorry if i offended u by saying v-tec istead of VTEC. im kind of leaning towards a b16 now. its just will bolt ons do anything. like im thinking b16 with 2.5in exhaust, 4-1 header and a reg short ram intake would i be like 15hp more with what ever b16 motor i get. i think that i have to get b16a3 just because of what the law says.(your motor has to be the same age if not newer than the car atleast thats what i hear)

oh yeah thanks for any input that is not saying just go and do more research. cause im asking oppinion wise. like what u guys would buy say if u had that money. but a motor swap is going to cost 2k atleast when everything is said and done?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big-cat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know the basic details on all of the b-series motors key word basic. turbo wise i can assemble a kit its just its a pain to find parts and then having to tweak the kit every so often of course a kit can be reliable. but u have to play with it every couple of months were as an engine needs reg. maintanance. and sorry if i offended u by saying v-tec istead of VTEC. im kind of leaning towards a b16 now. its just will bolt ons do anything. like im thinking b16 with 2.5in exhaust, 4-1 header and a reg short ram intake would i be like 15hp more with what ever b16 motor i get. i think that i have to get b16a3 just because of what the law says.(your motor has to be the same age if not newer than the car atleast thats what i hear)

oh yeah thanks for any input that is not saying just go and do more research. cause im asking oppinion wise. like what u guys would buy say if u had that money. but a motor swap is going to cost 2k atleast when everything is said and done? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're in florida, they don't care what you put in there as far as I know. So don't worry about years or any of that bullshit.

And it won't necessarily be 2,000, but it more than likely will be.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry bro..not trying to burst your bubble...1500 is not alot to spend when youre trying to hit 14s...i mean it is totally do able...but you have to think about reliability...and off of expirence and anyone on this board will agree with me on this one...any swap will cost you more than your budget because you have to take problems into consideration...and you will run into many problems...i suggest you save more money and build a b20/vtec...or ls/vtec.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
L_K
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meanTheDope)

just keep the motor you have now, save up a little more and do everything right the first time, then you won't be disappointed!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i think im going to save up enough to get a b16 of some sort. cause its not the most expensive. shortest tranny. can make pretty good power in high end with 4-1 header and 2.5in exhaust. hopefully that and some tuning and i will hit 180hp.I should be able to almost drop it right in cause they had it in the 99-00si. ill be happy with that. time to do my research.

thanks for all the experienced help and umm does anybody know a good place to buy engine packages. where there decent in price and honest? thanks for all the help and recommendations. so im going to need to spend $2000 give or take some. im sorry bout all the noob questions. new to the whole swap thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:21 AM

i was in the same predicament as you. i tried to save money by doing a y7/y8 mini-me. that was okay for a while, but i hated how gutless the thing was in the midrange. then i went with a b18 ls/vtec, and it is worlds better than the d16. but i spent well over 2K for the b18 ls/vtec swap. i think if i had only 1700 as a budget, i would probably go for a b20 w/a gsr or b16 tranny and chipped & tuned obd1 ecu and bolt ons if you can get them. the torque would be great and with the gsr/b16 gearing, you could probably hit 14s.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18ek670)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18ek670 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was in the same predicament as you. i tried to save money by doing a y7/y8 mini-me. that was okay for a while, but i hated how gutless the thing was in the midrange. then i went with a b18 ls/vtec, and it is worlds better than the d16. but i spent well over 2K for the b18 ls/vtec swap. i think if i had only 1700 as a budget, i would probably go for a b20 w/a gsr or b16 tranny and chipped & tuned obd1 ecu and bolt ons if you can get them. the torque would be great and with the gsr/b16 gearing, you could probably hit 14s.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i was thinking the same thing.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My recommendations are as follows:

1.) stop saying v-tec. It's not v-tec, it's VTEC. It's an acronym for "variable valve timing and electronic lift control", not "v-technology". Seriously: it says VTEC on your valve cover

2.) do more research and less asking strangers on the internet. It's obvious you have no idea how far that amount of money will get you because of the "possible motors" you listed. A few hours in the forced induction and hybrid forums will point you in the right direction.

3.) stop assuming and start knowing. You'll be surprised how much more simple the world becomes when you put some effort into understanding it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i love how honnest some members are.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help i think ive decided. if i change i change but for a first time newb for enigine swaps im going b16. and it sounds like save your money and save your money and pay like 3/4 of your money and then have the 1/4 of the money left for problems. but im really only 16 so i know that i have no experience. im just trying to go an easy reliable route if it cost money then ill have to see if i still want it after it takes me all that time to save up for what i need.