Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ek hatch - GSR automatic/b20/b16

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek hatch - GSR automatic/b20/b16

Hi folks!

This is a topic that isn't discussed often, however, is talked about, by my sources of research.

When my taxes come back in February, I need to swap out my D16y7 in my 99 hatch, and I plan on building a b20 platform.

Here's the thing- my left wrist is disabled partially, and I cannot drive a Manual because of it. I've tested the waters in an sti and I simply cannot.

This is where my research comes in.
I've been looking into automatics for the past year, and found that the JDM GSR automatic has practically the same gear ratio as the standard 5sp version, leaving this to be the top of the list, in terms of finding a Bseries-capable auto. With that being said, I have some questions about it and PLEASE do not feel tempted to comment should you not know the answers or if you have to say something to do with a 5speed, as it interferes with my research.

I have a 99 civic- its a DX hatchback.
Technically, it's an Ej6, but my confirmations say that when I say EJ6, im accused of "doing too much, because everyone knows what ek means"

I need to figure out how the automatic GSR transmission will bolt up. I hear automatics are longer than manuals, and because auto swaps are much much less sought after than a manny, it's hard to find answers, let alone people that know what they're talking about.

I don't want to hear "it can't be done"- I KNOW it can be done, because multiple folks on another forum (ek?) said they have done it (and one guy said he has two, one being boosted at 14psi)
That tells me right there that the GSR auto is in fact a STRONG transmission, considering its almost the same as manual.

So... My plans.

Source the parts, obviously
- B20b block
-A b16 head (MAYBE vtec with enough info)
-Type R cams
-A JDM GSR automatic transmission
-The corresponding ECU

I still need to find out about mounting everything. Any answers to that, will be appreciated as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ek hatch - GSR automatic/b20/b16

is anyone out there or happen to know anyone who can point me to good answers?

its extremely difficult to find answers, pertaining to automatic -> automatic swaps
Old 11-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatch Man
is anyone out there or happen to know anyone who can point me to good answers?

its extremely difficult to find answers, pertaining to automatic -> automatic swaps
There was a pretty informative thread in the 92-00 civic section a few years ago, pretty much exactly what you're trying to do, I just can't find it.

Do some searching maybe?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:22 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen a bunch of built automatics over the years, it's definitely doable.

I just don't know any specifics, sorry man.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

My personal experience with "B" series automatic transmissions is once they see a bit over 220 ft/lbs or torque... they start slipping. I have seen TWO cars with the same symptoms... so this is no fluke. If you call that "strong" or reliable... then OK. Maybe installing a really good high capacity trans fluid cooler would help increase the life of the trans.

If the hatch is already automatic, the "B series" engine/trans will bolt right in. You will need to do some wiring since the "D" series computer has the auto control inside it while the "B" series transmission control box is separate from the engine computer. Also, you may have to modify/swap the trans shift cable to make it work with the "B" series transmission.