Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

eg h23 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg h23 swap help

im needing help with wiring harness on a 95 civic ex swapping in a H23. i cannot find any information on the external coil distributor at all and i also needed some more detailed information about how to add the egr and such. has anyone here been through this before and be able to help?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg h23 swap help

I dealt with it, but I purchased a complete Rywire harness for the H motor instead of dealing with possible issues and headaches.

I would give them a call and see if they can point you in the right direction, or they might have a plug and play harness for the distributor for you.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SymtecX
im needing help with wiring harness on a 95 civic ex swapping in a H23. i cannot find any information on the external coil distributor at all and i also needed some more detailed information about how to add the egr and such. has anyone here been through this before and be able to help?
ok,
use the d series harness
lengthen the alternator wires
lengthen wire for oil pressure sensor
lengthen wires for IAT sensor
wire in an injector resistor box(ONLY FOR OBD1 INJECTORS)
run wires for vtec

thats all i had to do..

I recommend getting A P28/P72 ecu with an H base map flashed to it so you don’t have to deal with wiring up the EGR and the secondary butterflies on the intake manifold. as for the External Coil its very simple I'll post a link Rywire does great work, but do waste your money unless you’re going for a show car look you can do all this wiring your self Just do a little reading and Don’t be afraid to jump in and lean new things! you have to start somewhere.

Here is a good Source for H Swap Info
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/%5Bfaq%5D-%2A%2A%2Ah22a-into-civic-eg-ek-information-post-all-h22a-hybrid-info-here%2A%2A%2A-650329/

QUTOE:
Internal/External Coil Issues
If your car came equiped with an internal coil then the jdm h22 distributor will plug right
in no problem. However, if your car had external coil then you will have to modify one plug.
The plug you will need to modify is the plug that went to the stock coil. There are is a yellow
and a yellow/black wire, splice those 2 wire together. The green wire is useless, dont worry
about it

This will help you will the wire colors.

Last edited by H22AFerio; 04-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here Is how you Wire a USDM OBD2 H22/H23 Dizzy

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f13/...p-asap-356095/
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help. alright i have the swap in the car and wired up enough to where it is running right now. i still have to wire up the EGR and a few other small Misc connectors. i tried to contact rywire and all they wanted was for me to just order from them. i have been able to find info on everything but egr and butterflies. right now i have a constant check engine light. at the moment my harness looks factory to the unknowing eye. am i going to have to pull the complete harness back out to wire in egr and butterflies?

am i going to have to run wiring fromt he ecu its self for these?

i appreciate all the help. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the following is where im at. can someone who has been through this yet elaborate a little more or have pictures of what is being explained here?

Knock sensor wiring: (mounted at the rear of the engine near the cylinder head) Do the same for the male/female pins at the shock tower harness. There will be one available slot for this. Wire this from the KS to the D3 pinout (for OBD1)

Air Intake Bypass solenoid (secondary butterflies)

- Sensor voltage to the A25 pinout (or splice into the Yel/Blk wire connector at the driver shock tower harness.
- ECU Signal leading to A17 pinout on ECU

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System: Applies to all model civics except VX using the VX engine harness. If you do not use the VX engine harness in a VX, then you need to do this!

- EGR lift valve solenoid - sensor voltage (A25 pinout) & ECU signal to A11
- EGR lift sensor - sensor voltage (A25 pinout), ground (D22 pinout) & ECU sensor signal to D12
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SymtecX
the following is where im at. can someone who has been through this yet elaborate a little more or have pictures of what is being explained here?

Knock sensor wiring: (mounted at the rear of the engine near the cylinder head) Do the same for the male/female pins at the shock tower harness. There will be one available slot for this. Wire this from the KS to the D3 pinout (for OBD1)

Air Intake Bypass solenoid (secondary butterflies)

- Sensor voltage to the A25 pinout (or splice into the Yel/Blk wire connector at the driver shock tower harness.
- ECU Signal leading to A17 pinout on ECU

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) System: Applies to all model civics except VX using the VX engine harness. If you do not use the VX engine harness in a VX, then you need to do this!

- EGR lift valve solenoid - sensor voltage (A25 pinout) & ECU signal to A11
- EGR lift sensor - sensor voltage (A25 pinout), ground (D22 pinout) & ECU sensor signal to D12
you just run the wires from those sensors to the ecu its pretty straight forward.. I just suggest getting your ecu chipped with a base map then you dont have to wire those up at all its a wast of time.. Your also gonna be realy disappointed with the lack of power from the H23/H22 ecu cuz the factory tune sucks. it was like night and day when I got my stock H23A vtec tuned it was a whole different motor just from driving around on a stock p13 vs a chipped p28. just saying

Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

who/where did you get your ecu chipped? i have had friends try online chipping services only to have their Ecu's stolen. what type of chip do you run and what editor was used?