Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EG H22 suspension and brake setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG H22 suspension and brake setup

I am doing a h22 eg conversion and was wondering
what suspensions and brakes should I install on the civic?
And do the dc2r springs fit on the eg.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (aus_newbie)

Suspension - Stock is perfectly fine for daily driving.

Brakes - Upgrade the pads to Hawks or Cobalt. It is a waste to upgrade rotors/calipers.

Yes. Any 2.5" diameter spring will fit.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (aus_newbie)

you don't need either. but I did both

I just called up ground control and talked to them about what I wanted, ended up with eibach springs w/ custom rates and adjustable coilover sleeves on tokico HP shocks. I ride around with a 1/2" drop (if that) and it handles very well. bumps in the road are exaggerated, but whatever

I also got 11" VW rotors (off a 4cyl corrado I think) and integ calipers using an adapter plate from fastbrakes with axxis pads. this setup requires 15" wheels. I kept the stock drums in the back. braking is extremely rapid. it made a huge difference for me

having said all that, if I had the option of doing everything over again, I would rather just spend that money on an AN-R header and maybe some cams or type-s pistons. hindsight is 20-20 and all that
Old 08-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (DarkKnight1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Brakes - Upgrade the pads to Hawks or Cobalt. It is a waste to upgrade rotors/calipers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with upgrading the pads, but to say it's a waste to upgrade calipers or rotors is a joke. Too many people don't realize that an H has a considerable amount of weight to it. Pads are an improvement, but it certainly isn't a waste if you wanted to upgrade. It just depends on how much you really want to spend.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (Specail Ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with upgrading the pads, but to say it's a waste to upgrade calipers or rotors is a joke. Too many people don't realize that an H has a considerable amount of weight to it. Pads are an improvement, but it certainly isn't a waste if you wanted to upgrade. It just depends on how much you really want to spend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm, let see, Honda Challenge, the premier Honda only racing series in America, the people who put the most amount of stress on their brakes, use? 99% Brembo blanks (stock size) and upgraded lines, pads, and fluids, stock calipers.

If a fully built race car doesn't need upgrade calipers I think he can survive getting groceries.

Remember you can't stop any faster than your tires will allow you. No matter what brake system you have, you can only brake to the threshold of the tire.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear discs are pretty important, IMO. prior to my brake conversion, my rear end would always try to pass me under heavy braking. I'm with darknight on the rotors, the only reason I saw any improvement with my aftermarket rotors is because my stock ones were warped so badly.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmm, let see, Honda Challenge, the premier Honda only racing series in America, the people who put the most amount of stress on their brakes, use? 99% Brembo blanks (stock size) and upgraded lines, pads, and fluids, stock calipers.

If a fully built race car doesn't need upgrade calipers I think he can survive getting groceries.

Remember you can't stop any faster than your tires will allow you. No matter what brake system you have, you can only brake to the threshold of the tire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not saying that stock brakes aren't capable of stopping the car, I agreed with you that new pads would be fine. Upgrading isn't a bad idea. And what Honda Challenge drivers are you around? All the ones I know have Type-R five lug conversions, GSR conversions, or Legend Conversions.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rear discs are pretty important, IMO. prior to my brake conversion, my rear end would always try to pass me under heavy braking. I'm with darknight on the rotors, the only reason I saw any improvement with my aftermarket rotors is because my stock ones were warped so badly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think we've gone over this before, I like a little rotation under hard braking but seriously if it was a problem I would do something about it. you got a del sol so I'm guessing you've got more weight in the back. less front weight bias, better balance = easier to rotate. In a CX hatch my balance is way off so I'll take any rotation I can get hehe

perhaps my stock brakes were shot but I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded to 11" rotors. I said earlier that they were VW rotors - they are in fact Brembo blanks intended for use on a VW. throw in the bigger calipers and the difference from stock was like night and day, and I'm still using the CX master cyl.

like I said, maybe my stock brakes were crap, but I noticed a huge difference after the upgrade, and as light as the car is, I haven't surpassed the traction capabilities of my tires.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think we've gone over this before </TD></TR></TABLE>

We have, but if we didn't have to repeat ourselves, it wouldn't be H-T. I wouldn't mind my rear end coming around if this was a track car, but its a DD for me. I can't have my trunk swinging into the next lane because some idiot in front of me isn't paying attention.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

like I said, maybe my stock brakes were crap, but I noticed a huge difference after the upgrade, and as light as the car is, I haven't surpassed the traction capabilities of my tires. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know how strong your leg is, but, push a little harder.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know how strong your leg is, but, push a little harder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear what you're saying but the goal isn't to lock up the brakes right?

the other day I had to slam the brakes because some dumb cow in a Z71 decided that she didn't need to pay attention to anything because she drives a giant SUV. I mashed 'em pretty good, the bald toyos let out a slight chirp and then just grabbed like crazy. I 'm sure if I just nailed the brake pedal with all my strength on the highway I'd have issues but so far I've had no problem at all making emergency stops.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It completely depends on what you plan on doing in your car. I would recommend it if you plan on drag racing or auto-x for sure.

For me, slowing down from 120mph to negotiate the 90* turn at the end of Budpark raceway was reason enough to upgrade. I had some severe fade and there was bad heat scoring on the front rotors. Pretty good indications that the stock SI brakes weren't up to slowing the car down at that speed. Pads and rotors were new OEM and properly bedded in.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:43 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my best brake upgrade was putting a 91 crx si master cylinder in my 94 dx, though its almsot too easy to lock up if i havent driven the car in a while.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:03 AM

thanks guys for your input. I was thinking of converting it to integra calipers. Is there a difference in size between the eg si and the gsr?

Old 08-18-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear what you're saying but the goal isn't to lock up the brakes right?

the other day I had to slam the brakes because some dumb cow in a Z71 decided that she didn't need to pay attention to anything because she drives a giant SUV. I mashed 'em pretty good, the bald toyos let out a slight chirp and then just grabbed like crazy. I 'm sure if I just nailed the brake pedal with all my strength on the highway I'd have issues but so far I've had no problem at all making emergency stops. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really my point. It was more like, and this is completely for daily driving, if you can mash the brake pedal and it locks up, you have enough braking power. Now, w/ the stock pads, fluid, it won't necessarily be repeatable, but why would you be making numerous stops like that on the street unless you were askign for trouble?

I guess my main point is that you don't need the brakes at all. Stock brake system w/ upgraded pads will be more than fine. Everything passed that, especially for daily driving, is unnecessary.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDM H22A

Suspension:
-Omnipower Track Coilovers
-Omnipower Front and Rear Camber Kit
-Full Race Traction Bars
-EBay Rear Strut Bar

Brakes:
-GSR Brake Booster
-GSR Prop Valve
-GSR Front and Rear Brakes

I stop and turn well.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess my main point is that you don't need the brakes at all. Stock brake system w/ upgraded pads will be more than fine. Everything passed that, especially for daily driving, is unnecessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If everything past stock brakes is unnecessary, then why swap motors? The stock one is fine, right? Maybe do some upgrades to improve it? If you're coming from a money standpoint, then yes, upgrade the pads. If you're coming from a performance standpoint, why not? You wanted the car to go faster, why not make it stop better? Stock brakes will get the car stopped, but if I can reduce my stopping distance with a brake swap, then I'm doing it. Regardless of if you're driving on the street or not, stopping better is a plus for me.

My set-up:
'93 Hatchcrap
'95 JDM H22
Tein Type Flex Damper Suspension
(9k springs front/10k springs rear)
Spoon Front Strut Tower Brace
GSR Brake Swap
(Booster, front and rear discs)
Earl's Braided lines
EBC pads(street)
Panther 10's(Track)
Weld in roll cage

Modified by Specail Ed at 3:21 PM 8/19/2005
Old 08-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Ditto

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If everything past stock brakes is unnecessary, then why swap motors? The stock one is fine, right? Maybe do some upgrades to improve it? If you're coming from a money standpoint, then yes, upgrade the pads. If you're coming from a performance standpoint, why not? You wanted the car to go faster, why not make it stop better? Stock brakes will get the car stopped, but if I can reduce my stopping distance with a brake swap, then I'm doing it. Regardless of if you're driving on the street or not, stopping better is a plus for me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I agree.

DarkKnight is just mad because his coupe is slower than my hatch,
Old 08-19-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (RotiEatter)

stock civic brakes here and i stop and turn well...
Old 08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Ditto

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (93H22ACX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22ACX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock civic brakes here and i stop and turn well...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahahaha, I'm sorry. But that just made me start giggling at work.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:55 AM

why kabir
Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hahahaha, I'm sorry. But that just made me start giggling at work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt. Yes, you can stop fine with stock brakes. But why not stop better? Trust me, drive a car with good brakes, and you'll hate your stock ones.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No doubt. Yes, you can stop fine with stock brakes. But why not stop better? Trust me, drive a car with good brakes, and you'll hate your stock ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know that
Old 08-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RotiEatter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hahahaha, I'm sorry. But that just made me start giggling at work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, Me too. Bee, you going to Deals gap? That will test your brakes out.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: EG H22 suspension and brake setup (Turbogixxer)

just need to stop at the end of the 1/4 mile thats all...

as soon as i finish my next motor i'll have better things

Quick Reply: EG H22 suspension and brake setup