Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DX hatch with B18C1 - CA smog PASS/FAIL ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:33 PM
bpd
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX hatch with B18C1 - CA smog PASS/FAIL ??

Hi everyone,
I saw a good deal of 94 DX hatch with a B18C1 motor and JDM transmission in Reno (NV) but I don't know how hard to register and smog when i bring it to CA where i live.. I did some research that told "buying car from out of state" must have the emission label under hood when register in CA, is that true? I've also talked to the seller and he said he did not have that sticker anywhere underhood...Will i have any problem with the NEW CA registration? Will I need to do the BARD/Ref when I bring it back to CA? Is there any problem with the Smog that I need to know? I really appreciate any input here ...thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: DX hatch with B18C1 - CA smog PASS/FAIL ??

Why do you not call a ref station?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpd
Hi everyone,
I saw a good deal of 94 DX hatch with a B18C1 motor and JDM transmission in Reno (NV) but I don't know how hard to register and smog when i bring it to CA where i live.. I did some research that told "buying car from out of state" must have the emission label under hood when register in CA, is that true? I've also talked to the seller and he said he did not have that sticker anywhere underhood...Will i have any problem with the NEW CA registration? Will I need to do the BARD/Ref when I bring it back to CA? Is there any problem with the Smog that I need to know? I really appreciate any input here ...thanks!
Yes you do. Yes there will be lots of problems if you don't know what you're doing. Yes you have to BAR it. And when you pass the inspection, you will have a sticker stating that it is legal to have a different engine in a different chassis. Along with that you will also get a smog sheet and take that to the DMV to get your sticker/title. Now you can enjoy driving in the good ol' state of CA.

How good is the deal? Post a link.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM
bpd
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhymeshark916
Yes you do. Yes there will be lots of problems if you don't know what you're doing. Yes you have to BAR it. And when you pass the inspection, you will have a sticker stating that it is legal to have a different engine in a different chassis. Along with that you will also get a smog sheet and take that to the DMV to get your sticker/title. Now you can enjoy driving in the good ol' state of CA.

How good is the deal? Post a link.
Never BAR'd before so i really don't know the process probably will call the station and ask for more infos. Just a quick question, will i have to BAR it before getting the title? Because the title is not under my name yet so i'm not sure any of the BAR/sticker process need anything from the OWNER (NV title) otherwise i'm screwed...