Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cat exhaust - would it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual cat exhaust - would it work?

I have a CRX w/ a b18c1 swap. I live in GA and the car is not passing emissions testing. It has a "performance cat" that likely it not legal for street use. The car is primarily a track toy and not used every day, but I don't want to trailer it around.

My exhaust set-up looks like:
|---header---|---flex coupling---performance cat---resonator---|---muffler--->

Note: "|" = a flanged fitting

My idea is to take out the middle section (|---flex coupling---performance cat---resonator---|) and replace it with a flex coupling and legal cat(s). This would be a simple 6-bolt install that could be switched for track/street use.

So... Since I have a much higher output engine than the stock 1.6 Si engine could I use 2 cats back-to-back to help clean-up the exhaust and make sure it meets emissions requirements. Something like this:
|---flex coupling---legal cat---legal cat---|

Would that remove more bad gasses or would the first cat get pretty much all that can be gotten and the second cat be a waste?? I am I completely insane?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

if you're running a well tuned map or GSR ECU, dropping in an OEM cat should get passed on emissions testing.

no real need for two of them, but if you do the second one will more than likely not get as hot as needed to actually work.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're running a well tuned map or GSR ECU, dropping in an OEM cat should get passed on emissions testing.

no real need for two of them, but if you do the second one will more than likely not get as hot as needed to actually work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed, one OEM cat should be enough.