Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today

Hmm how to start, surprising from the new look Nissan. The car jumps out at you to begin with, striking front bumper cover with a nice mesh grill. The one I saw was a really nice blue color with some kind of pearl. The new 2.5L is rated at 175hp but doesn't quite feel like it. Feels more like a strong B16, however it has lots of torque. Pickup at low Rs in 5th gear is no problem. Plenty of passing power. Nissan's new drive by wire design is well implemented and I noticed no problems with the lack of a throttle cable. I just wonder what is gonna happen when one of these cars gets some age on it and some gunk sticks the throttle plate or won't let it close entirely, will one of the four TPS freak out? What about the servo motor? Hrm. Anyway, throttle transition is very smooth and I actually liked it. The shifter is also changed, tighter geared tranny than the SE, shorter shifting and a much tighter pattern. None of that sloppiness I normally associate w/ Nissan FWD transmissions. The new 2.5 has what Nissan calls C-VCT which stands for continuously variable cam timing. According to them, the cams vary as much as 30 degrees, damn! I don't know if they have anything to vary lift because they haven't gone into detail on our updates just yet, but I will tell you that at 5k the tone of the motor changes completely and it feels like it picks up 20hp. Too bad the rev limiter kicks at 6200. However, I feel it a great value for the 16k price tag, especially for a Nissan. Just FYI.
later,
Jared
Old 11-04-2001, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (Jared)

who cares about a piece of **** nissan....boring
Old 11-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (D-Man)

Only to you because you're probaly one of the guys who drives Hondas and doesn't care about anything else. Well, I can't do that, I work on several different types of cars everyday and have to know about everything. Some people are the same and probably found this informative. Acutally, some of Nissan's new stuff is just as advanced as Hondas and just as easy to work on. If you can't say anything more intellectually stimulating than that, please, keep your opinion to yourself.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I care, I actually like the thing, probably going to get one for my wife, is that ok with you. Atleast someone is filling the void left by honda with the new car line up.
Probably going to get flamed.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (hybridrex)

I agree, if my girlfriend hadn't gotten such a good deal on her 00 Civic, we would have looked at the new Se-R. Hell, with a 16k sticker, there isn't much that competes with it.

[Modified by Jared, 4:11 AM 11/5/2001]
Old 11-04-2001, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't pay any attention to D-man, he's obviously just ignorant.

Have you read the articles in SCC?
Old 11-04-2001, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (martini)

wrong,a honda is not my only car and not the only make i like,,and nissan is still crap!
Old 11-04-2001, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (martini)

Don't pay any attention to D-man, he's obviously just ignorant.

Have you read the articles in SCC?
Agreed about D-man.

I did read the artible in SCC, and I tend to believe it. With 175hp from a 2.5L, I expected a ride like an H22 or a built LS/VTEC, but it reminded me more of a 99-00 Si with a little more torque.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and nissan is still crap!
And I'm sure in your infinite wisdom and obvious intelligence as demonstrated by your posts, you can come up with multiple reasons why Nissan is "crap". Care to elaborate?
Old 11-04-2001, 07:58 PM

1st,may i add,,this is honda-tech not nissan-tech and the forum is hybrid not anything goes..ok now that i got that out of the way,,here goes two reasons,,nissan's 02 car line-up sucks,,whats thier hot car this year,,the Se-R wow,big deal,...wanna see a poor excuse for a twin turbo car,,just look at a 300zx TT runs 14.1@99 stock,lol,thats pretty sad for two turbos!
Old 11-04-2001, 07:59 PM
New User

wrong,a honda is not my only car and not the only make i like,,and nissan is still crap!
Riiiiiight. Skylines and 300ZX's are "just crap". You sir are baffoon. Please take your "nothing beats a honda" know-nothing *** back to ClubSi from wherst you came. *** Sipper!
Old 11-04-2001, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1st,may i add,,this is honda-tech not nissan-tech and the forum is hybrid not anything goes..ok now that i got that out of the way,,here goes two reasons,,nissan's 02 car line-up sucks,,whats thier hot car this year,,the Se-R wow,big deal,...wanna see a poor excuse for a twin turbo car,,just look at a 300zx TT runs 14.1@99 stock,lol,thats pretty sad for two turbos!
First, that was just a simple, informative review. What good is a hybrid if you don't know your competition.
Second, how does the 02 car lineup suck? What does Honda have to compare? Don't get me wrong, I love my Hondas, but seriously, who wants a 02 Civic? Nissan now has a 255hp Altima, the Maxima has an all new 3.5L DOHC engine. Get your facts straight sir.
In addition, 14.1 for a twin turbo car that isn't even meant for a straight line is pretty good. The car squats too much in the *** end on launch because the suspension is setup for road race. If you had ever driven one, you would know that. Besides, thats around the best time I've ever seen for a stock turbo Supra or RX-7.
I'm going to urge you to go back to Club Si, or whatever rice boy Honda board you came from, because you are fighting a losing battle.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:18 AM

well im not gonna resort to name calling but you should do a little more research when you say a 14.1 is about the best time for an supra TT or RX7 TT,,both those cars are 13 sec cars easy..supra 13.4..RX7...13.8 and both are way better than a 300Z can ever be....now how about this...what in your dealers showroom that you work for has something new that will match up againt these 3
1 RSX
2 S2000
3 NSX
nissan aint got no anwser for these cars!
Old 11-05-2001, 09:22 AM
New User

skylines!...silvia r spec!...easy honda woppin machine....nuff said

pull your head out ur assask yourself this question: which car do the japanese favor in performance?...nissan!...now im sure they know their **** since they design these cars...

[Modified by wuhungsixxx, 10:26 AM 11/5/2001]
Old 11-05-2001, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome review I didn't know they were even out yet
Old 11-05-2001, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is just like when I asked for a good Honda Forum while on the Vintage Mustang Forum; most people gave me a gentle ribbing, a couple had info to share (I'm here to post this, right) and a couple of hot-headed goofs started wanking about this being a mustang forum and i don;t log on here to blah blah blah

Just like you put Nissan right in the topic I put "Honda ques" right in my topic so it wasn't like a bait and switch type thing. Don't wanna read about Nissans? then just go to the next message.

Greg
Old 11-05-2001, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (Horatio)

did you drive the spec v or just the se-r? I am thinking about getting a spec v for my wife.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (2000-B18C1)

I just drove the Se-R. I'm patiently awaiting a road test of a Spec V.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:19 AM

Oh yeah those skylines are junk too right??
Old 11-06-2001, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (JDRB16A2)

Oh yeah those skylines are junk too right??
you missed the point...but that is part of the problem why nissan is crap...they dont import skylines here
Old 11-20-2001, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got to ride in a two day old se-r vspec. i thought it was terribly slow. the car looks and feels really big (compared to my gsr anyway). the car has big dookie se-r sticker on the back (5+ inches tall)...the se-r stickers on the side were smaller (should have put those on the back). the black paint looked like an orange peel. the skyline seats? they suck! they were way to wide for me and the material is just nasty. the seat material was red but it looked like someone put a basketball jersey (you know that material that has all the holes) over the seat. it looked like ***. the car didnt feel like it had any pull to it.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (Disco Monkey)

I too must agree that the report was informative. Thanks. And as for the that said that nissan suck cuz it doesnt import the skylines he gets another i Dont see Honda import us the Civic-R or the Accord-R do you? I love honda no matter what, but to say that nissan sucks for no stupid reason is well.......... stupid D-mann you are the weakest link goodbye!! and for that you get 1 2 3 YOUR OUT!
Old 11-20-2001, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (MrPimpon)

MrPimpinyourmom...accord R civic R who cares, dick head,what honda imports to US in 02 is way better than anything nissan is importing.

oh..by the way..how many nissans have you owned or worked on..or in your case, instead of work on...riced up

[Modified by D-Man, 11:27 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Childish!! Do we need this here?? U are so tuff sitting in back of the comp. arent you!! HA HA GO D-Backs!! sorry NY! HA HA I AZ

And OK you win honda is better! Do you know what i drive?? um a HONDA!! just trying to say that by u saying nissan is crap just because is stupid your name should be called D-kid mrpimponyourmom?? wow thats good 1st or 2nd grade material. let me tell my lil bro bout that one.

[Modified by MrPimpon, 11:50 PM 11/20/2001]

[Modified by MrPimpon, 11:50 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today (MrPimpon)

whatever..at least you admit i win

Quick Reply: Drove a 02 Sentra Se-R today