Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help

I DID SEARCH hey guys i did an mpfi swap on my 90 dx. I have a 89 d16a6 complete motor tranny ecu resister box harness dizzy etc. after i got the moter and harness in and everything hoocked up i tried to start it and it just cranks. i replaced the plugs coil cap and rotor starter battery and negative battery ground cable. i now have good spark fuel pressure is at 30 psi and the injectors are spraying/pulsing. and i have compression. i made sure that the plug wires were in the rite order according to a faq forum on this site and i made sure that the injectors were in the rite order according to the directions from a couple of sites. i also recently found out that i have a code 20 (eld) and a code 10 (air temp sensor) i fixed the code 20 by adding more grounds but its back now. also when i messed with the plug wire order i got it to kinda missfire wile trying to start and sometimes backfire. i checked all my wireing over and over the only thing i can think of is my timing but i dont know how to change that any help or if you need to know anything else jus post or you can give me a call any time at 262-510-3999 my name is phil thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help (crxhf89)

bump
Old 02-28-2005, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt hurt to double check wiring
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help (vtec y0)

ive been checking the wiring every day and i plan on checking it today to and im gonna pay extra attention to the dizzy wiring. but thanks for the input
Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, tahts an odd problem to have, u sure the engine isnt just dead?

i mean your not throwing any injector or dizzy cels (ignitor), adn youve got all the key ingredients to a running engine, so im stumped
Old 03-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Trial User

Did the motor run before you got it ? if yes win you did your mpfi swap did you get the two white wires right on the distributer if not try to switch thim around and see what happes
if this help's

good luck
Old 03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help (H22HondaCRX)

yes i saw it run in person the day befor i pulled it out of the si and it ran very strong. I did get the white wires right cuz it only works one way if i have them wrong then i wont get any spark. im thinking that its my timing but i dont know how to mess wit the timing
Old 03-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have an ELD code, you screwed up the wiring at the ECU level. The ELD wire is pin B19 (green with red stripe if memory serves me), and you should not have had to touch that wire..

Old 03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still wont start i have run out of things to try someone come to my house to take a look at it cuz im broke and cant afford profraional help!!!!!!!!!!!!! im in milwaukee wi
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 PM

ya it would have to be something with the wiring most likely.. i just did a mpfi and obd0-1 conversion on my crx a month ago.. when you say that you messed with the plug wire order and it mis/backfired, which wires? I had trouble with an EG about 6 month ago starting, and it kinda sounded like mis/backfiring, but turned out it was the dizzy.. i would say to check that out, but you said it ran the day before. Did you make sure the rotor wasn't reversed or anything on the idzzy when you put it on? I know that it is offset to one side, but if you forced it a little, it will go on the other way. About the TA (air temp) sensor.. are you sure you have the right plug plugged into it? I think that plug and the purge control valve connector look the same, so make sure it's not wrong (TA sensor has Red/Yel and Grn/Wht wires if i'm not mistaken). I don't know why you would have the ELD problem either.. if the car ran fine before (since the eld circuit wouldn't be the engine) it would have to be some sort of wiring problem. I don't think timing would be a problem since it ran, unless you replaced the timing belt when you did the swap.. there wouldn't be anyother way it would have changed. anywayz.. i hope some of this might help.. I'm just trying to think of any problems that I kinda thought thru when i did my swap.. trust me we've all been there and it's always the stupid obvious things that we miss
Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help (0bLiViOuS)

well, your timing may/maynot be messed up. If you have a chilton or haynes manual, go through and check your timing with a timing gun. you can also check to make sure everything is lined up by putting the #1 cylinder at top dead center. you can use a long, thin, straight piece of metal and stick it into the #1 cyl.(first you have to take out the spark plug) then manually turn the motor over until the metal is at its highest point. use a wrench on the crank to turn it over. then remove your dist. cap and make sure the metal tip on your rotor is pointed toward the #1 plug on the dist. if it isn't your timing is off. make sure your using the right diagram for your firing order. I had the same problems when I first did my MPFI swap. are all of you injectors firing? how did you wire them up? what diagrams did you use for your wiring?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dpfi to mpfi car wont start plz help (BIG RICH)

thanks for all the helpfull info and not being dicks to me. ill check the rotor cuz my friend put that on. and i used fourthgenhatch.com for the injector wiring and they all pulse
Old 03-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

still wont start
Old 03-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i will prbably just part my car out si interior d16a6 si tranny and shell and si seat have no rips just testing water though so lets see what kinda offers u got