Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dowel Pin Locations LS/VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dowel Pin Locations LS/VTEC

How critical is this? I have all instructions on how to but what just wondering what would happen if the dowel pins were left in the stock locations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe this will solve my problems!!!???

Old 06-20-2002, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dowel Pin Locations LS/VTEC (Shft@9GSR)

It is a requirement....trust me.
Old 06-20-2002, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dowel pins left in the stock locations??? if you do that then the head wont even sit onto the block. that is why MOVING/RELOCATING the dowel pins is necessary.

i ran my old Ls/Vtec setup without the dowel pins (because the engine builder half-assed my ****) and you can NEVER seat the head dead on. the headgasket will NEVER line up properly and stay that way while you are trying to install the head onto the block. when i finally stripped my motor after its death the headgasket had been bent because it was slightly hanging into the cylinders. becuase of that my head cc's developed slight damage. none of the damage was more than slight, but its just plain DUMB to not do this. its only like 20-30 bucks to have a machine shop do it. no excuses.
hth
Jason
Old 06-21-2002, 05:42 AM

Old 06-21-2002, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Dowel Pin Locations LS/VTEC (sleeper4dr)

Thanks guys. Ok so now I can say that I do have them relocated. I couldn't remember if I had them relocated when I had the head set up for LS/VTEC. But if the head wouldn't even go on the car if they weren't relocated then I know it's been done.

Problem I was having/still am having is that my head gasket won't seal correctly. I had a stock gasket bore to fit 85mm bore, blew that. Burning coolant.

Bought a Cometic 85mm LS/VTEC headgasket...installed by Acura. Cylinders are sealed now, but leaking coolant into oil someplace. Acura said that the gasket was installed correctly (correct positioning) Don't know what is wrong. Everyone I've talked to says they didn't have it on correctly.

My next thought was the dowels. I could not remember if they were relocated or not and what effects it had if they weren't

Thank for help/information and Pics. Very useful I got some pics from diyracing.com and from C-speed.com (both same info) and I talked to the guy from DIY and he said that most likely the gasket was mis-aligned or something.

But thanks again!!!