Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC?

I've seen alot of people using oil can for their ls vtec setup, Is it a must have?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC? (DavidTurbo)

Catch cans help out crankcase ventialtion a lot with LSVTEC motors, which weren't designed to have quite as much air moving around in them as they do when fitted with a VTEC head. It's a good idea, yes.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC? (dpaton)

Thanks for your help my buddy told that you only need it if your running a crv bottom but I dont know

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpaton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Catch cans help out crankcase ventialtion a lot with LSVTEC motors, which weren't designed to have quite as much air moving around in them as they do when fitted with a VTEC head. It's a good idea, yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you get alot of bad advice there Davidturbo

a good <U>crank ventilation system</U> is a great mod for any motor. notice i didnt say catch can
Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC? (JCushing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCushing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a good <U>crank ventilation system</U> is a great mod for any motor. notice i didnt say catch can</TD></TR></TABLE>
Point taken. Crankcase venting is important. The stock system using a catch can is a well proven design, and by building something similar, good results can be ontained. Hence my advice. There are many small variations on the theme, some make more difference than others.

I wouldn't say it was 'a lot of bad advice' though. That's patently inaccurate.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I need an oil can for LS/VTEC? (dpaton)

every motor bennifits from it, not just the CRV block, that was my point
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCushing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">every motor bennifits from it, not just the CRV block, that was my point</TD></TR></TABLE>
Indeed. One of the few cases I've run into where more is always better, compared to the factory offerings for venting when aftermarket parts have been applied.

Note also that the B20 blocks are painfully close to oil starvation of the crank when fitted with a VTEC head and oil filter takeoff (to supply the head). Enlargement of the main oil galley, the crank oiling passage, and some pretty heavy massaging of the oil drainback passages and the filter pad are required to get enough flow to keep both the head and the crank happy. People have run them without the oiling changes for a while, but a posted and oil modified block will be a much much happier B20.

Finally, make SURE you use a good block girdle with the B20 block. It wasn't designed to rev past about 6k, and at 8-9k it can literally shake the bottom end apart after a while, cracking a cap or a journal. I've seen it happen..not pretty.

-dave
Old 10-09-2006, 06:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCushing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get alot of bad advice there Davidturbo

a good <U>crank ventilation system</U> is a great mod for any motor. notice i didnt say catch can</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what would you recomend as a good crank ventilation system?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DavidTurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what would you recomend as a good crank ventilation system?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The system generally includes a PCV valve, a catch can of some sort, and a number of breather lines from the head and the block, interconnecting things. For B20VTECs, the most common ones seem to be like the Endyn kit, which uses anti-reversion hose fittings on the back of the block to feed one catch can, and (optionally) a pair of breather tubes located in the valve cover that are routed to a second catch can. Depending on the emissions laws where you are, you can either vent them to the atmosphere, or put a PCV on top of the catch can and let the manifoldd vacuum take care of the vapors, which is my preferred method.