Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why?

i recenty aquired a totaled 96 INTEG GSR and am trying to decide if a HB or COUPE would be better. I plan on completing the motor swap/ seats / brakes ( 4 disc ) and potentially the cluster (someone said it may be able to be done ). What are the differences between weight and handling between the two and what kind of 1/4 mile time slips do you think i could pull? (the mods already are AEM cold air intake, DC 4-1 headers, skunk 2 cam gears, skunk 2 cams stage 2, ACT clutch) Do you think i might need a Field Vtec Controller? If so what are the benefits of this? its to my understanding that the VFC can lower the VTEC turning point at lower RPM, which in return puts stronger HP without having to wait until nearly 6000 RPM. What would compression ratio would this motor need to be at if i was going to have it fully built all motor? Is it true that the best power band on this motot (actually all DOHC VTEC B series) is after the 7600 RPM range? If this is true, it might be a good idea to get a new ECU for higher revving, so there is a longer band of higher power right? I dont know too much about all this, but i would appriciate any info anyone has, thankz **
Old 12-15-2002, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (b18c1nrg)

I don't think a discussion is needed

*coug* HB *cough*
Old 12-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (hot_EG)

I don't think a discussion is needed

*coug* HB *cough*
coupes are usually cheaper and easier to find
Old 12-15-2002, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (hot_EG)

*coug* SEARCH *cough*
Old 12-16-2002, 08:16 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (VTECVillain)

*Cough* nOOb *Cough*,, jk, to the previous post, i never really see coupes for cheaper then hatches? i beleive it would be the opposite, but for a swap, i think a hatch is betetr, but thats just me, either way, not a whole world of difference between anyhting but weight...
Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (SIXTYdashONE)

EG's are lighter unless you have Erick's Racings coupe, hehe.. But for the most part the EG has is the lightest and has the best drag coefficient making it easiest to make the fastest... Peace

[Modified by JDMspecEG6, 10:20 AM 12/16/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (SIXTYdashONE)

*Cough* nOOb *Cough*,, jk, to the previous post, i never really see coupes for cheaper then hatches? i beleive it would be the opposite, but for a swap, i think a hatch is betetr, but thats just me, either way, not a whole world of difference between anyhting but weight...
hatchbacks might be cheaper in your area, but at the time i was looking for a 5th gen, coupes were cheaper around my area and easier to find.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (b18c1nrg)

Hatches are lighter and look better.

Everyone has a hatch and most have swaps.

I have a hatch and I love it.

And as far as a VTEC controller, it is a toss up. Most tend to agree that Honda got the crossover point about right, while with some mods it helps to raise or lower the crossover to make more power. I'd drive the car for a while and see how you liked it first.

And as far as getting a new ECU for "higher revving", I'd spend the money on upgrading the valvetrain and cams before I bought a new ECU. Otherwise, you will over-rev the stock engine, float the valves, and be truly screwed when **** hits ****. At least upgrade to Type R spec springs and retainers for the stock cams, or go all-out and get something like Skunk, JUN, etc. just get the full valvetrain set.

Compression ratio depends on what kind of fuel you want to run, what you want to do with the car, and what you want to pay.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (Revolveu2)

yea, the Hatchback is lighter...but It would be Ideal to find an ex coupe or an SI haddy, becausethe wiring is easier...but off topic, quick question, is it hard to wire up a gsr in a non-vtec model haddy? just curious....
Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe its all in the individual who's driving the car because overall the hatch and the coupe are two different choices. I have been looking for another hatch in my area for a while but noticed the 92-95 coupes were way more abundant and were actually as cheap or cheaper. I think its is all up to the individual on who wants what. The hatch is definetly gonna be lighter in most cases and usually can be found in relatively good shape but i would have to say harder to find as a stock vehicle. The coupes have other options from the factory that would have to be applied to the hatch such as (an EX for example) power windows, locks, rear disc, sunroof, trunkspace,A/C, etc. With a hatch you will have to find an Si for most of these options with the exeption of power items. Its all up to you, I have had all kinds of hatches and Crx's so i was looking for something with a little more room and some power items because all my other cars have been without. I don't believe any of the 96+ hatches even had the option of rear disc and power as are with the 4th gen hatches with exeption of the 90-91 CRX Si which had rear discs. Good luck and happy driving
Old 12-16-2002, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Discussion of 92-95 coupe or HB for GSR swap...whats BETTER and why? (yebabee)

1/4 mile time if swap is done in a cx hatch would be around 13.7 at sea level and depending on how many miles on car my frien ran a 14.8 at palmdale and a 14.3 at carlsbad on his stock gsr swap but he has had that swap for about five years