Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dilemma... to swap or not to swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma... to swap or not to swap?

I got my 99 Civic Ex coupé about a year and a half ago. Since then, I have loved everything about the car except for one little detail - the power the motor makes

So here I was faced w/ a dilemma... About 8 months ago I almost turned into a rice boy... then I saw the light (H-T) and was changed. First I thought a turbo would solve the problem... but I kept hearing problems - reliability, can't run a lot of boost on stock motor, etc. Recently a friend of mine got a B18C1 swap in a 95 civic. It is very quick and I like the way the motor looks too.

This is where you guys come in. I might have some extra money soon and I'm going to do something with it. A different car is simply out of the question I'm afraid. One tiny detail I forgot to mention: the car is an automatic.

Do you think I should get a swap? If so, what kind? B18, B20, H22? I gotta keep it fairly simple... What about the tranny? Would that be a big enough problem that I shouldn't bother with the whole thing? I just don't know what to do... so if you are bored... feel free to give advice
Old 09-17-2002, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dilemma... to swap or not to swap? (vick_n)

One of the positives of doing a swap would be that it presents a great opportunity to convert your automatic tranny over to 5 speed. As far as the swap goes though, really it all comes down to how fast you want to spend. All B series motors have potential, but some you have to work with more than others to unlock it. Obviously, B20b, B16a, B18b are going to be your cheapest canidates, in the end it usually comes down to your preference (vtec as opposed to non-vtec) and of course, cash.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Dilemma... to swap or not to swap? (jaysonx)

Ok so you think the conversion to 5 speed is not that difficult if I get a swap... Then the thing I'm wondering next is what mods to do to the engine. Obviously I'm not gonna leave the swap stock

Turbocharging is still nice... I love the way turbocharged cars sound. Say I want to take this path - do you recommend to build the engine first? Use a B18B or B18C? Even B20?

Last but not least... the money problem... what prices am I looking at (based on personal experience) if I go ahead w/ the swap (remember I need a tranny as well).
Old 09-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, changing from AUTO to 5-Speed is no picnic, but if you are going to do it, its ideal to tackle it while doing a motor swap. If you are looking to turbo, I would recommend building up a non-vtec motor (B18b or B20b/z). Depending on how much boost you want to run, you will have to upgrade the internals accordingly. I dont see the point in throwing out lots of cash for a kit, and then only running a couple pounds of boost on stock internals.

B20 longblocks are generally found around $900 bare bones. You will have to get a tranny / intake / axels / ecu / blah blah. In the end, I would look to spend around ~$2100 on a good condition B20 complete swap, or $1700 - $2000 on a B18b all said and done with everything ready to swap in. I think B18b's can be found cheaper than this, but I havent researched their prices enough.

LS Tranny is the cheapest ($500 or so), but a GSR tranny will cost around $750 for one in good condition. ITR tranny with LSD is $1000+.

[Modified by jaysonx, 12:06 AM 9/18/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Dilemma... to swap or not to swap? (jaysonx)

Dang... sounds like a lot of work... I'll have to look at my funds but thanx for the advice. Any other input is always welcome, and I always check my IM's so don't be shy to teach a newbie
Old 09-17-2002, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will be in better shape technically with a complete GSR swap. Then get the extra stuff you need for the auto to manual swap and any nec brackets to put a b series into an EK body.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap but im biased