Diesel FWD transmission onto an F20C engine... - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Hybrid / Engine Swaps
Reload this Page >

Diesel FWD transmission onto an F20C engine...

Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel FWD transmission onto an F20C engine...

Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Diesel FWD transmission onto an F20C engine...

Lets say I want to do the above, bolt one of the Honda diesel boxes onto my F20C/S2000 engine, are there any that are almost a straight fit? Or at least some with the same or similar bolt pattern?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diesel FWD transmission onto an F20C engine...

Wat?

You want to put a diesel engine in your S2000?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I want to put a diesel gearbox on an S2000 engine...
Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure why you would do such a thing... but I'll bite. I don't think anyone has EVER thought of doing such a thing until you came along, so it is likely that you will not get an answer. The likelihood of brand "X" transmission bolting up directly to brand "Y" engine is about the same as getting struck by lightning unless the two brands are working together... like Ford and Mazda with the Probe and MX-6. It is common that an adapter plate is used to mate the two parts and a modified flywheel or flywheel spacer plate is used to get the proper installation depth.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is why I asked whether any of the HONDA diesel gearboxes have a similar bolt pattern....
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I'll bite: Why are you wanting to do this?

And bolt pattern is pretty much irrelevant. You're going to need an adapter plate no matter what. You'll need to find an input shaft that can interface with the flywheel/engine, and output shafts that can mate to the hubs... Since you're trying to hack together an F20C with apparently a diesel transmission in a FWD platform, obviously you're going to have to address spatial and mounting constraints as well.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bolt pattern isn't irrelevant, that's the main difficulty -that's the reason you need an adaptor plate for most hybrids - so if one of the Honda diesel boxes has the same pattern, or only needs a couple of bolts altering, then it makes the job much easier. Clutch spline is pretty much irrelevant, I'll just bolt the appropriate spline into the friction plate.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Still curious why you're doing this, just wondering.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:52 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

I don't think there are any other Honda transmissions that are RWD and Diesel.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It says right up there in the title FWD.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Why not use a diesel K series engine+transmission ?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I have a supercharged F20C....I'm pretty sure a diesel is going to be heavier and slower....
Old 01-13-2018, 02:20 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

What exactly are you trying to do?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mate the F20C motor to a beefy, long-ratio gearbox. Hence asking whether any of the Honda diesel boxes are close to bolting up, it's not that difficult a question.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:27 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Are you converting an F20C to FWD ? Diesel gearboxes are non existent in the States, which is partially why we're having such a difficult time discerning your question.

All of the ones that I know of are FWD gearboxes.

F20C is a RWD engine...can you see the confusion?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a RWD engine, it's just an engine, it rotates the same way as most engines (bar the old odd Hondas), you can put it where you like - I have one in the back of my racer at the minute completely the opposite way around to an S2000.
I just wanted to know if the bolt patterns are the same, or similar, for any of the diesel boxes and the F20C, it's that simple.

I'll try some other forums where they can read.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Bless your heart.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, I think your biggest issue with getting solid answers on this Forum is the fact that, as Caoboy has stated, there are no Honda Diesel applications available in the US... and the vast majority of the members here are from the US market. So it is unlikely that we here can help. However, I will offer one friendly suggestion: If you happen to look for answers on another Forum, you might be more forthcoming with answers to your questions and less snarky/abusive to those who are asking them so that they can offer help. Otherwise, you may get the cold shoulder again.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-14-2018, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
If you happen to look for answers on another Forum, you might be more forthcoming with answers to your questions and less snarky/abusive to those who are asking them so that they can offer help. Otherwise, you may get the cold shoulder again.

Good luck.
I'll offer another suggestion, if you want to keep members, perhaps don't have EVERY SINGLE ANSWER being some snarky stuff or completely unrelated to the question that was asked in the OP?

It was a very simple, basic question - does anyone know if the Honda diesel FWD boxes bolt onto an F20C.

Okay, if you're US-based, and don't know, then don't answer, it's that simple.
If your only answer is "that's a RWD engine" - don't answer, it has nothing to do with the question.
If your only answer is "Why would you do that, LOL!" - don't answer.
If your answer doesn't concern a HONDA gearbox, from a DIESEL, FWD Honda car, and how close or far it is from fitting to an F20C - don't answer.

I'm on dozens upon dozens of forums, including a few other Honda ones, and I've never seen one of them be so unhelpful to a basic question. And then blame the OP for it!

"That sounds interesting, what are you doing?" - Okay, fine, but not following a load of snarky crap about irrelevant stuff.

I have a supercharged F20C. It's currently in the back of a racecar, driving the rear wheels, facing forwards.
The next car is going to be 4wd, with the engine longitudinal in the middle, bolted to a FWD gearbox feeding the diffs either end. To get the ratios and enough strength, that needs to be a diesel, front wheel drive gearbox. So the obvious solution is - see if any of the Honda diesel fwd gearboxes/transmissions fit the F20C.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:59 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Now you're being more descriptive!

That being said, I'd look into a diesel gearbox that is in a 2nd gen CRV, whatever is attached to the N22 engine.

An adapter plate would likely be necessary, I'd look into reverse engineering how they put K series long blocks into S2000s.

The only issue I see with using a crv transmission would be the awd case, and whether or not that can be blocked off or if it's going to cause any other issues.

*Edit* a little research shows that manual gearboxes came out of accords too.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Now you're being more descriptive!

That being said, I'd look into a diesel gearbox that is in a 2nd gen CRV.

An adapter plate would likely be necessary, I'd look into reverse engineering how they put K series long blocks into S2000s.

The only issue I see with using a crv transmission would be the awd case, and whether or not that can be blocked off or if it's going to cause any other issues.
I'm amazed you're still helping this *******. You are a nicer person than I am.

And no one was mocking your or making jokes about the topic... We wanted to know why you were doing this because it may help in finding a solution, also because this is so ASTRONOMICALLY UNORDINARY, and you're posting on a CAR ENTHUSIAST forum, how the hell did you not think people would be curious about this?

And, last thing I'll say, for no sake other than just to give myself more headaches from your inevitably inane response, there IS a difference between engines that are designed for FWD vs RWD, typically in the way the oil pans and windage trays are aligned. Yes, they can be flipped around but there are things that should be accounted for. We still have no idea what your actual application is, but I'd be willing to wager you should have used a K series engine in the first place which would have left you with much better and easier options for gearing and final drives...

Anyway, I'm out.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

@chance I've seen this done before with buggy rock crawlers, with mounting a B series engine 90* rotated and running custom drive shafts to front and rear solid axles.

It's done like this to make light weight/small buggies.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly Caoboy, no problem with it at all, it's a common configuration for rally cars and buggies. Using a diesel box gives long enough ratios and strong enough gears to cope with the shock loadings, plus a centre diff. instead of the usual way of running a drop box to front and rear diffs.
Yes, I've looked at the Accord 2.2 gearboxes, they do look relatively similar bolt-pattern bar the odd bolt/dowel, going to see if I can get hold of one and have a look. I hadn't thought about the FRV - as you say, depends on whether the 4wd takeoff is just bolted on the side of the diff as otherwise it might be a bit bulky leaving it on.

Chance - I didn't ask about sumps and any of that crap because it doesn't matter, I'm dry sumped anyway, neither does space or any of the rest of it, it's in a spaceframe, literally the only thing that matters is whether any diesel gearboxes bolt on easily - you know, the actual question that I asked.
Hell, I already have the S2000 mated up to a Renault transmission in this car. There are dozens of 4wd, F20C engined cars competing in Europe, so no, I don't think I have the wrong engine.
And no, the difference in FWD and RWD doesn't matter at all anyway, because the engine still ends up mounted longitudinally anyway.

If you don't like it Chance, f**k off out of the thread and leave the people who are actually helping in here. Like you said, this is a car enthusiast forum, I'd expect enthusiasts to understand a bit of fabrication work for fitting isn't an issue, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.
Jesus, I asked on a welding forum that has an automobile section and got one guy asking politely what I was making as it sounded interesting, and one guy offering to measure up a 1.6HDi box he had in the shed.
Ask on an actual Honda enthusiasts forum and get snarky comments and half a dozen people who can't read a question, and one helpful answer.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 AM
I like the tuna here

Just wanted to say, as in impartial observer of this exchange, that also one of the issues a lot of "regulars" on this site face are people who probably blazed and then thought "holy ****, what if you put a Ford Explorer body onto a Honda CRX frame, OMG wouldn't that be hilarious!" And then they come here asking how that's done, they have a friend who's a welder so "I don't see why you guys aren't taking my question seriously! I'm TOTALLY GONNA DO IT I'LL SHOW YOU DICKS" and then are never heard from again.

That being said, you obviously know what you're doing, having already accomplished a lot of custom work. But you can see how asking about something without a detailed first post that hints at your skill level, we'd mostly assume you were one of the half-baked pipe-dream idea people.