Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 08:11 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC

ok i did the search and so far ive figured out that to do a basic ls/vtec all i need is a vtec head, manifold, computer, and oil pump or water pump... but to do it right to get some serious gains u also need transmission w/ shorter gears and pistons.. and a really reputable mechanic to do the work..

but then ive also heard u cant rev high, if u can't rev high whats the point of having vtec? can u get the ls bottom end machined and strengthend to where it can handle 8000 redline as well as a GSR?

i have 3 basic choices of set ups for lsvtec i am considering...
1)b16A head, computer, manifold basic swap for 1500 and i would probaly take close to a sec off of 1/4..
2)do it right with type R tranny, type R computer, type R head, type R pistons. machined bottem end, 8400 redline for over 3000$ but it would probably bring the car to low- mid 14's..
3)use all GSR stuff and the price would fall in between same with times..

i have enough money to where right now i could start a basic LS/vtec and im trying to decide if i should or if i should wait and go all out all motor lsvtec but the hardest part is waiting when u have the money to do stuff...

or should i just wait even longer and go the simple route and just turbo the b18B..

please correct me if any of the statements i have made are not true and give your opinion of LS/vtec, plius if i left out any parts please list them..thanks sorry for the long post..
Old 05-12-2001, 11:11 AM
Banned

Location: PUT BACK MY AVATAR YOU FUCKING FAG MODERATORS, canada
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (DIRep972)

what car are u plannin to do the swap on?
Old 05-12-2001, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (mr.sleeper)

If i was you get a gSr motor and build off that. the Ls/vtec cobmo are great but gsr is just well built allready. The intake manifold is the only stupid part of the motor
Old 05-12-2001, 04:15 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (mr.sleeper)

its a 95 SE integra
Old 05-12-2001, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (DIRep972)

the misconception that many people have about the ls/vtecs being unreliable is because most people just slap a vtec head on a stock ls block and think the block will handle high-rpms when it cant... for one... the crank isnt made for revving that high... to make an ls/vtec reliable... u have to build the bottom end... just as u would build it up for a turbo... turbo's blow motors as do stock ls block in ls/vtec conversions begin revved high
Old 05-13-2001, 08:51 AM
New User

Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (4dr-gsr)

I can't remember any situation where people have broken cranks... but the rods and rod bolts were not designed for high RPM use with the piston speeds and stress as a result of the greater stroke of the LS crank.

You can make good power at 8k RPM, and unless you have the $$$ for aftermarket rods, you could probably get by with a set of ITR pistons and ARP rod bolts on the stock (unmodified) crank and rods. Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:46 AM
New User

Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (92Si)

Don't under stand why you guys say LS/Vtec can't rev high.
I personally have a LSVtec 90 civic hatch. I am running a Port Flow B16 head with a CTR intake cam and ITR exhaust cam, Port Flow inner and outer valve springs, titanium retainers, and skunk gears. The head is fully port and polished and is milled .004 on the bottem end I am running a B18a block with a knifed B18a crank, B18b rods, USDM ITR pistons, GSR water and oil pump, billet steel flywheel, and a PYR crank pulley. I have tons more stuff in the car but I am getting sick of listing it all. I dyno'd 203 to the wheels at 8900 rpm the motor would of kept building power but the dyno was tweaking out after I hit 8900 rpm. I have had the car rev'd past 9k in a freeway race and the car was pulling like a champ. If you build a LSVtec right you can smoke the sh*t out of a GSR hybrid any day of the week, it just takes time and money and the proper build up.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did search! still have ?'s about LS/VTEC (EVOCELICA)

don't go with LS/VTEC....run straight GS-R or LS. I heard LS makes more torque anyway...

stan