Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE

Let me start by saying I have a 1992 civic CX hatch with a 2003 H22a Longblock from Honda and all the USDM parts off a 94 prelude SI Vtec. Its been finished for 5 months with no problems. put on about 1k miles and its not a daily driver. Made about 12 runs on the 1/8 track 3 weeks ago and drove it home, parked it and covered it. The alarm killed the battery after three weeks of being on so I hooked up the charger at 2 amps and charged over night. I was getting it ready to race this comming up weekend and drove it about 7 miles I made it home parked it and let it Idle and it shut off by itself. NOW it will not crank up at all. I did find a bad ignition fuse in the main block (blown) replaced and wont start. Getting plenty of gas and the spark looks a little weak. Some times it will lock up when trying to start but the timming is perfect. Crank lined up , both cams lined rotor at #1 and #1 TDC. Replaced coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and the little ecm in the dizzy, but still wont start and still momentarally locks up when starting. Great compression on all cylinders. Doese anyone have a clue what it could be??? It just shut itself off with no unusual noises or anything and I am baffled at what it could be and have checked everything. Also changed ECUs and still same prob.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE (slopoke1)

hmm... sounds familiar to me...

could be a bad power wire to ur dizzy. & or ur ignition switch.

try splicing the blk/yel wire on the dizzy. and run a wire straight from it to the battery. if ur car starts and doesnt die, then u have found ur problem.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE (hondaZvic)

sounds like it 180 out.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:21 AM

Default Re: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE (fastwanabe)

if you have a msd ignition wired up check on the wiring....ecspecially the 2 wires that go into the dizzy.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 AM

Default Re: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE (93H22ACX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22ACX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have a msd ignition wired up check on the wiring....ecspecially the 2 wires that go into the dizzy.</TD></TR></TABLE>I will try that<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like it 180 out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>Thats what I thought first that it jumped timing but it hasnt thats why I cant figure this out<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22ACX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have a msd ignition wired up check on the wiring....ecspecially the 2 wires that go into the dizzy.</TD></TR></TABLE> Completely stock ignition
Old 08-11-2004, 07:39 AM

did you check the ecu?

I just had your identical problem.

If your ecu is good, test to see what voltage you are getting from ecm and internal coil.

Should be about 16.18+ for ecm and 1.1 for Ignitor.

Also check to make sure "back-up ecu" fuse is good...in the engine bay fuse box

With all that said and done..i just treid another ecu and it cranked and no issues since..."knock on metal"

Old 08-11-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Re: (92hybridAccord)

I used my ECU in a prelude and it worked finr and took the p13 from the lude and it did the same. Is it posible to have a bad crank sensor in the dizzy? I found two D series dizzy today and I am going to hold it in place and have someone to turn it over to see also bought 10 gallons of gas and a box of matches.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: (slopoke1)

Today I replaced all internals on my dizzy. Still wont crank. Still getting fuel and spark. Is there any other sensors that would make it not start. Is there any way to check the ICM I have four and cant imagine all four bad. Doese the blue tach wire 12+ with ignition? I checked the resistor box 12+ in and four 12+ out . Going to grab a P75 Ecu from a friend just to try it. Someone has to know something!!!! Please just throw some ideas my way
Old 08-11-2004, 05:24 PM

UPDATE: New ecu still no start put my dizzy in another h22a worked fine. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really think its a wire.... u say no spark.. dizzy's prolly not getting enough power.. or u got some wires crossed...

wiring problem for sure though
Old 08-11-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

Check your grounds, and clean all of them. All my grounds were down real tight, and after I came from the track my car shut off and couldnt start. I messed with changing the dizzy parts for a few days and no luck. I got bored and frustrated and just started cleaning all my ground contacts, what ya kno... the car started after I did that.... Try that and let me know if u had any luck man..

Good luck..
Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 AM

Default Re: (Jahtoot84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i really think its a wire.... u say no spark.. dizzy's prolly not getting enough power.. or u got some wires crossed...

wiring problem for sure though</TD></TR></TABLE> PLenty of power and spark

I will trace all my wires today and clean all grounds. It has to be something simple that I am overlooking. Thanks Guys
Old 08-12-2004, 05:56 PM

cleaned all grounds checked all wire still no good. will do compression check tomorrow
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 AM

waiting on hurricane charley BUMP
Old 08-13-2004, 05:11 AM

I've had a problem very similar to this in the past. My problem was the main relay or something like that was blown. It is in the driver's kick panel area.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE (redrum92si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrum92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had a problem very similar to this in the past. My problem was the main relay or something like that was blown. It is in the driver's kick panel area.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thats usually a fuel problem but I have had problems with this relay before and to cheap to pay the $60 for a new one. I will find one and check my compression today may have a burnt piston. Looks like I am going to pull the motor and re-wire the whole thing but it has to be something simple. Waiting on the rain to stop but we are supposed to have this hurricane thing tonight
Old 08-13-2004, 03:02 PM

I hate to be a post ***** but here is the latest info. Compression is between 175 and 200 on all. I unplugged the resistor box and it tried to crank if you are turning it over and plug the box back in it gets flooded and hydro locks and then wont fire at all. resistor cranked another h22a but I havnt got his resistor yet to try. Could it be possible for all injectors to be bad? I am going to wir in the B16 injectors later but thought I would keep you informed
Old 08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2003 h22a longblock? I thought they stopped production in 2001?

to your problem, I was going to suggest the igniter in your dizzy but I guess you've done that already. I say check all our fuses. any CELs??
Old 08-13-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

All I know is the H22a was ordered from the local honda dealer in 2003 No cels all fuses good
Old 08-13-2004, 06:23 PM

You need four things for a motor to start: Spark, compression, timing, and fuel. You say you have spark and fuel, look into the other ones.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: (ek2121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek2121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need four things for a motor to start: Spark, compression, timing, and fuel. You say you have spark and fuel, look into the other ones.</TD></TR></TABLE> I believe I stated that I have Spark Fuel Timing And Compression Suck Squish Bang and Blow. My new problem I have found for some reason I am getting an enormouse amount of fuel. Injectors may be stuck. I am going to replace them tomorrow with a set of B16 injectors to see if that doese it and remove thr resistor box. My wife just told me NO TURBO since its been down for 5 days. Car might end up on EBAY once it is fixed
Old 08-13-2004, 06:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slopoke1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to replace them tomorrow with a set of B16 injectors to see if that doese it and remove thr resistor box.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you do not have to remove the resistor box, it will run with it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slopoke1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife just told me NO TURBO since its been down for 5 days. Car might end up on EBAY once it is fixed</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch!
Old 08-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: (ek2121)

I was going to remove it in case it was spiking the charge and fried my injectors
I have had fun with the H22 and already worn through a new set of tires So the turbo would be alot of fun But I dont drive it but one or two times a month when the kids beg me to
Old 08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
EK22snatch

damn dude, dont sell something like your car on ebay... sell it to a guy here on H-T that you know will appreciate it. i would actually suggest just keeping it and riding through the "bugs" of the hybrid and then you'll be so happy you didnt sell in the end.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: (EK22snatch)

Im trying not to care about the car to clear my head and have more room for thought to figure my problem out

Quick Reply: DESPERATLY need help EG H22a problem NOT RUNNING ANYMORE