Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please

i have a 92 hatch with an obd1 gsr motor.

i decided i wanted to smog the vehicle the right way, and try to bar the car instead paying for a smog hook up. but it looks as though trying to be honest has bitten me hard in the ***. i passed my visual, but failed the emmissions horribly. but now i'm stuck. i've been calling everywhere, and no one will even look at the car because its not certified. but i can't get certified until i bring down the emmissions.

so i'm here on h-t to ask for some help. if anyone can do a diagnosis to help bring down my emmission, or know where i can bring my car to so i can get it bar'd.

i'm not looking for a smog hook up. its not even an option at this point since i've failed at the ref station. but i'm trying to get this done right. i'm willing to pay to get it fixed correctly.

so any help would be greatly appreciated.

please please please.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (whal3_p3nis)

your fucked either way, its just a matter of if you want it with the KY or RAW
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (whal3_p3nis)

Independent Auto Repair and Maintenence 619-276-7672

Tell them a IATN member reffered you. If they don't handle this kind of thing they will refer you to someone who will.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (juevi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Independent Auto Repair and Maintenence 619-276-7672

Tell them a IATN member reffered you. If they don't handle this kind of thing they will refer you to someone who will.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks. calling right now.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:02 AM

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (juevi)

well first off is your motor stock? and have you removed any SMOG equipment from the motor? alot of the tims when a car fails simply adding a new catalytic converter will get you to pass, also after market intakes make your numbers rise alot too, but like i said what mods are done to your motor?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Independent Auto Repair and Maintenence 619-276-7672

Tell them a IATN member reffered you. If they don't handle this kind of thing they will refer you to someone who will.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried calling them. but they dont do any of that work. the people they referred me to was a test only thanks though

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsJDMbradyo! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well first off is your motor stock? and have you removed any SMOG equipment from the motor? alot of the tims when a car fails simply adding a new catalytic converter will get you to pass, also after market intakes make your numbers rise alot too, but like i said what mods are done to your motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i haven't taken any smog stuff off. i passed the visual. i have dc hearders, aem intake. i passed the visual with that stuff since theyre listed as carb exempt. i changed the cat, it brought down the numbers but still failed.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post your numbers. What part of the sniffer test did you fail?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (unltdacc12)

all three. let me go find mine sheet.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (unltdacc12)

first smog
15 mph 1918 rpms
HC: actual: 173; max: 121
CO: actual: .80; max: .76
NO: actual: 2790; max 807

25 mph 2241 rpms
HC: actual: 148; max: 96
CO: actual: 1.03; max: .65
NO: actual: 1512; max 746

second smog
15 mph 1889 rpms
HC: actual: 200; max: 121
CO: actual: .93; max: .76
NO: actual: 1997; max 807

25 mph 2258 rpms
HC: actual: 189; max: 96
CO: actual: 2.04; max: .65
NO: actual: 411; max 746
Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 AM

Those punks, try this one. Z-Whizz Complete Auto Repair & Sales 858 492-5139

Or you can try this guy, he specializes in Honda's but not sure how far he is from you. Peterson's Automotive 760-738-4800. He's in Escondido, CA
Old 09-27-2006, 09:25 AM

So the only mods are a Header and Intake?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try running sea foam or top engine cleaner. those should bring down your HC and CO levels a bit. as for NOx, whats your timing set to? try retarding your timing to whatever the minimum is.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 AM

yea judging by those numbers something way off, id suggest getting a stock exhaust and intake, doing a complete tune up and running sea foam then chagning your oil. because those are gross polluter numbers and means theres something wrong with your motor deffinetly get the timing checked out also(autozone can do that for you)
Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by juevi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those punks, try this one. Z-Whizz Complete Auto Repair & Sales 858 492-5139

Or you can try this guy, he specializes in Honda's but not sure how far he is from you. Peterson's Automotive 760-738-4800. He's in Escondido, CA</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried calling them. no one wants to even look at the car since it's not the same motor as the vehicle. but it should be the same as looking at a gsr, its just the body looks different.

arrr so frustrating. starting to wish i paid the 300 some dollars just to have it smogged.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (itsJDMbradyo!)

werd borrow a timing light and try retarding it the nox is ****** horrid.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for any possible help from the night crew
Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (itsJDMbradyo!)

search on here. Back when I had a civic and hung around the civic forum part there were a few threads on how to pass. Retard the timing as much as possible and what ecu are you using.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (Ep_Kevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ep_Kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">search on here. Back when I had a civic and hung around the civic forum part there were a few threads on how to pass. Retard the timing as much as possible and what ecu are you using.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Running a stock/unchipped p72
Old 09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ble, called so many places, and no one is willing to look at the car. i'm starting to think i'm just going to bring it in and not even explain that it has another motor. but i'm thinking if they dont realize it doesnt have a civic motor, i shouldn't be bringing it to them. arrrr. no way to win this one.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 AM

You need to call your local smog referee to get a bar sticker.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to call your local smog referee to get a bar sticker. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uh yeah if you actual read through the thread, i have stated that i took it to a ref, and tried to get it certified. but i can't get it certified because i failed my emmissions. and that is why i created this thread, because the ref told me i need to go find a smog station to do a diagnosis and fix my emmissions then bring it back to get it certified.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a member called h8zwest or hazwest should be able to help you
Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chunty *** kevin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chunty *** kevin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a member called h8zwest or hazwest should be able to help you</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks. i'll try to im him.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whal3_p3nis)

well looks like this is too much of a hassle. shell needs help anyway, so i've decided to just pull the motor, and donating the shell. so if anyone wants anything, let me know and i'll take it off before i let the shell go.

edit: not looking to part the motor as of yet, will try to sell the motor setup whole.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (whal3_p3nis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whal3_p3nis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well looks like this is too much of a hassle. shell needs help anyway, so i've decided to just pull the motor, and donating the shell. so if anyone wants anything, let me know and i'll take it off before i let the shell go.

edit: not looking to part the motor as of yet, will try to sell the motor setup whole.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you an idiot... this should take no time to fix.... I TOLD YOU TO SEARCH.... if you dont want to keep your car thats your fault but there are plenty of threads that will guide you to passing. Get off your lazy *** and you the botton on the top of the screen

Quick Reply: desperate. . . need smog help in san diego/so cal. please, please please