Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D swap in Geo Metro?

Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default D swap in Geo Metro?

So I bought a 500$ Geo to drive while I swap out the y8/b7 for a G23. Car is turning out to be a solid daily so of course I'm thinking of ways to ruin it. This thing weighs 700lbs less than my Eg and I will have a leftover minime looking for a home... The primary limiting factor would sheer physical size of D engine/trans, particularly the overall length vs width of engine bay. The chassis does come in certain trims with a 4 cyl which gives me hope that I can just haul out the wire feed and cutoff wheels without resorting to a custom subframe type of deal like that B18 guy.
Any thoughts or input welcome.
I'm assuming I could get the Honda to Suzuki drive lines grafted somewhere?
What could I do about an inline fuel pump? The Geo is TBI but I doubt it will have the appropriate fuel pressure.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D swap in Geo Metro?

What are the mearsument of the D series The TBI have about 25psi to 35psi on the TB models.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That much? I might be cool.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a fun project. I have a 2000 Honda Insight I will be swapping a d series into as well. One thing I could give you advice for is the wiring. If you can get a ek engine harness you can run the whole engine basically just hooking up abou 4 wires for power, ground and starter then use a obd1 jumper harness to be able to tune it. I've always thought a stock k20a2 in a geo would be awesome. What type of front suspension is on that car? Maybe you could figure out a way to fit some Honda knuckles into it or something.

as for a fuel pump an inline Walbro 255 would be more then enough and easy to do. Stock Honda fuel pressure is 43.5psi.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And here I thought everybody was going to rag me for such a harebrained idea lol.
Wouldn't have known about the EK harness, will save some headache. As I learn more about fuel injection and engine management I'm starting to to realize that it's actually easier to deal with than trying to tune an old Holley on an overcammed v8.
The suspension is regular old Macpherson strut and something I can work with, hence desire for custom halfshafts. And Swift Gti brakes.
Good news about Walbros, should've known they'd be a universal fit type of deal.
This all boils down to physical fitment of engine. A 120whp one in a 1500lb car.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 01-05 civics also run Mcpherson front suspension you may be able to fit some civic knuckles and struts on the front so you can use Honda splined axles. And hell no man, I would love a fast geo metro, that's seriously like the ultimate sleeper lol. That's why I wanna make my little Insight fast, my main goal is 45mpg and 200+whp from a single cam turbo. And yeah the efi stuff is easy honestly. Any problems you come up on there's a ton of info to help you sort things out through this forum. I have a d16a6 motor and y8 trans I can measure for you once I get the tranny back together.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As it would turn out the engine bay clears by 3+" in width and some minor sheet metal massaging will clear manifolds, all of this depending upon axle angles of course. Not too worried about hood clearance.
It's not hard to triangulate mount brackets up with a wire feed and cutoff wheels, just need to scotchbrite and cold galvanize/paint.
I'm liking the idea of Civic knuckles and even struts, Swift Gti stuff has gotta" be getting hard to find.
Actually getting more excited about this than that G23 now haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: