Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!!

I need to know if the slave cylinder from a 92 civic vx is the same thing as a 94-up integra slave cylinder? The reason I ask is because I just put a b17 into my 92 hatch and the cluthc is not fully disengaging. When the car is turned off, the transmission lets you shift smoothly throught all the gears. When you turn the car on none of the gears are available. If you put the car in gear while the engine is off, then start it it will jump either forward or back depending on the gear. Is it my slave cylinder.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (92tealvx)

The slave cylinders are the same. I swapped a 96 B18C into my friends 95 DX coupe and used the slave cylinder from the DX tranny. Funny thing is he is experiencing the same problem as you but it worked perfectly for about a week then started getting hard to shift.
I replaced the salve cylinder for the same reason but it never fixed the problem. We have tried everything possible without taking the tranny off. I'm not sure what the problem is but we are going to take the tranny off and see if there is a problem with the throwout bearing or clutch.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (VTECVillain)

clutch pedal adjustment perhaps?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (owen_the_soyboy)

did you bleed the lines from the slave cylinder? its not 100% necessary but its a good idea.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (Kamin)

The clutch pedal adjustment and pressure is fine. The slave cylinder works for sure and the line was fully bled after installing the new slave cylinder. There is something that is not allowing the clutch to disengage. I'm assuming it's engaged and stuck there.
With the car off you can shift though all the gears but with the car running it will not go into gear at all like something is blocking it from allowing you to shift. If you put the car in gear with the pedal pressed fully in then start the car it will jump and die like you don't have the pedal pressed in at all.
I know it sounds like the salve cylinder would be to blame but I can't see how it would be. The pedal pressure is solid and if I slide the rubber boot back you can see the rod move back and forth when the pedal is pressed in and out.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (VTECVillain)

Bump for some help.....
Old 02-26-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran into this problem when i did a 94 b18c1 into a 93 hatch. I asked my friend if he wanted me to pull the tranny off before i put the swap in and he declined. well after the swap was in, I had the same problem you r describing. I tried everything, and then finally I pulled the tranny off and found out half the "fingers" on the pressure plate were bent in and the press. plate was stuck to the clutch.

[Modified by jmm96gsr, 10:11 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (92tealvx)

I am working on the car with 92tealvx. The reason why we ask if the slave cylinders are the same is because of the different clutches used in b and d-series engines. Since we are using a civic vx slave cylinder on a b-series transmission and clutch, could it be possible the civic slave cylinder dosent have a long enough throw to disengage the clutch from the flywheel completely? I think it would make sense, but im not sure. Also, we are using a 92 B17 clutch in a 99 GS-R Tranny. Could it be possible the clutch is coming into contact with the bellhousing making it impossible for it to fully disengage? Thanks in advance for the help

Modified by 92tealTSI at 9:12 PM 10/12/2003
Old 02-26-2003, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (92tealTSI)

i used my dx slave cylinder when i put a b16 in my car and it works find...so i dont think that makes a difference...but i took the tranny off and replaced the clutch with a new one, the old clutch was fried...

[Modified by sir2chad, 7:40 PM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (sir2chad)

Does anyone know whether a b17 clutch will work in a 99 gsr tranny? That may be the problem

Modified by 2muchPSI at 7:07 PM 10/11/2003
Old 02-26-2003, 11:43 AM
New User

Does anyone know whether a b17 clutch will work in a 96 gsr tranny? That may be the problem
Slave cylinders are the same between B & D-series because it's not apart of the motor, but rather the car/chassis. As for the clutch question, a B17 motor (unless you changed it) should be using a YS1 cable transmission, which has a large input shaft. If that's the case, then YES, the "B17 clutch" will work on the 96 GSR tranny because all 92+ B-series transmissions (YS1 being the only cable) use the same size clutch, and to answer your question, NO that won't have any effect on your problem. Bleed the clutch lines (pump the pedal & hold while you purge the slave cylinder - kind of like bleeding your brakes) and that usually clears up the problem, unless you have a leak in the lines which is not causing a vacuum seal, thus air getting into the lines.... then you have more work ahead of you replacing/fixing that.

Old 02-26-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Are D-series and B-series Slave cylinders the same? Swap question!!!! (Newman)

thank you Newman, tommorow i will bleed the lines and see what happens
Old 02-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i used the one off of my EX motor for my JDM B16.....