Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 09:58 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ!

Maybe someone here can help me out with this one.
I have had the B16a swapped in for about 8 months now and it has been acting up for the last month or so. When I am accelerating under light throttle, the car seems to have a lack of power but when I give it a little more throttle, it runs ok.
When the car is hesitating, my Autometer A/F guage goes into the stoich range but is still in the green (during acceleration). I have all of the orange and all of the green lit up at the same time.
At WOT, the meter reads full rich(just the last green LED is lit up) and life is great. So, at first, I thought I had a bad distributor cap..changed it. Did a MSD 6AL, cap, rotor, plugs, wires..still there.
Changed the fuel filter..still there.
Also, I have noticed that if I am keeping a constant speed, then give it a little bit of gas, my A/F guage quickly goes to lean before it jumps to rich...
The only things I haven't changed or checked yet are the injectors, pump, regulator...
I will be keeping a close eye on this post so please if you have any questions on what I have changed or checked feel free to ask...just please help me figure this one out!
Thanks
Jay
Old 07-10-2001, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ! (CanuckCRX)

this mostly cause by fouled 02 sensor (or two in a EF).....

check your 02 sensor, take it off and clean it up with a brush (metal) and burn off the rest with a torch, till its red.....or get a new one....

Old 07-10-2001, 07:06 AM
New User

Default Re: CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ! (eg6ajk)

I too thought it was the o2 sensor, so I swapped it out for a new NTK 4-wire sensor (I did not use the heater, just the signal wire and the ground).
The problem was still there.
I thought maybe the o2 sensor wasn't getting enough ground through my DC header which was giving a false reading.
Old 07-10-2001, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ! (CanuckCRX)

I may be way off here, but I've heard a spun distributor bearing can cause the car to hesitate, miss, fart etc. like that. The fact that Honda distributor bearings aren't lubricated and they're located so close to the block, they heat up and break down easily.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:44 PM
New User

Default Re: CRX w/B16A hesitation problem..please READ! (Lyonel)

Well the problem is gone for now.
I removed the NTK four wire sensor and replaced it with a stock Honda one wire sensor and the problem is gone.
However, I will definately get a new o2 sensor bung installed on my header and run two seperate sensors to the two inputs on the ECU.
If you guys didn't see Hondata's post check it out in CRX /Civic EF section under this same topic.
Thanks for the help everyone
I will keep you posted on the results
Jay