Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRX track car conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 07:45 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX track car conversion questions

I'm about to purchase a '91 CRX HF to convert into a weekend track beast. I want this to be a budget project, so I'm looking to use a lot of used OE components if possible.

Brakes: I want to upgrade the braking. Will a full GSR brake set (f & r) mount to the car with minimal fuss? What specific parts would be needed for the conversion? If not, what options do I have?

Suspension: I'm thinking of using Tokico Illuminas. Figure they are pretty cheap and offer some adjustability. Springs rates are yet to be determined. Any other options?

Motor: A SOHC conversion will be cheap and easy. What about LSD & FD options for the tranny? Anything out there?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:52 AM

Default Re: CRX track car conversion questions (Chuckles)

I love my suspension, I have Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables, and ground control coilovers. make it a real track car what is your limit(money wise). You should gut the bastard, it's an HF already real light so it should be extremely lite after weight reduction. Then you can get a nice cage in it. and I would swap some kind of high reving Bseries engine. like a B16 or something.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-14-2001, 01:42 PM
New User

Default Re: CRX track car conversion questions (ShaggenWaggon)

I'm getting the car for $1G. Straight body, motor doesn't smoke, and paint is fading...so what! I'd like to spend no more than $3-4G over the next year or two on the car. Here are my thoughts (in order):

Brakes: I like the EX brake conversion idea for a cheap big-brake alternative. May be willing to spend the money for a fastbrakes conversion all around, but that is a much steeper ($$$) jump. Definitely SS lines, fluid, and pads.

Susp: The Tokicos seem like the way to go. Still need to figure out what spring rates I would want. Need to do more homework!

Interior: AP 6 pt cage, twin shells, dual 5 pt set-up. Gut the carpet, radio, dashboard. Add some gauges down the road.

Wheels: Probably get some Rotas or Kosei wheels. Good R compound tires. Still want to be able to street drive the car.

Motor: Been reading about the B16 swap, but seems like a major project. Maybe later down the road. I'm thinking I can get a full SOHC SI swap for cheap and it bolts right in. The tranny should make a huge difference over the HF too. Install new belts, pumps, clutch/fw while it is apart.