Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crx/Ef Hatch going H2D (Bisimoto)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx/Ef Hatch going H2D (Bisimoto)

Alright HT users, I need some help deciding on what i should do, i have a stock crx as a daily (wouldn't mind making all motor or boost) and my Ef hatch with a B20z2/b16 JDM tranny set up. My plans are to go with a H22a4 with a D16y8 tranny with the Bisimoto H2D kit, im wanting more more and something new/different from everyone else. The H2D kit sounds exactly what im looking for in the new/different part. Also because D series tranny's are cheap and reliable, they should hold up to the H22. So basically what im asking is just for advice or comments letting me know what you think.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crx/Ef Hatch going H2D (Bisimoto)

it sounds like it would be a pretty cool build, but the full h2d kit is $1,708
http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=139
If you go through with it start up a build thread, I'd subscribe to it
Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I been thinking of the samething im just waiting oon some reviews
Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I found it for a really good price but the guy says you use stock mounts and add a bracket? But if I do go ahead and do it I will start a build thread, just trying to get a little more infromation on it first. @HTmod sorry about posting in the wrong section.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please explain why oh why you want to run a d16y8 trans on a h22?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No cable linkage no cutting a hole in the car and Relocating motor mount
Old 09-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes....but why a weak d16y8 trans...he might as well go h2b
Old 09-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah if you already have a b series tranny in it already ....but i was thinking of going with a jdm d15b lsd hydro tranny ..that if i get lucky and find one
Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatch_Kid
Alright HT users, I need some help deciding on what i should do, i have a stock crx as a daily (wouldn't mind making all motor or boost) and my Ef hatch with a B20z2/b16 JDM tranny set up. My plans are to go with a H22a4 with a D16y8 tranny with the Bisimoto H2D kit, im wanting more more and something new/different from everyone else. The H2D kit sounds exactly what im looking for in the new/different part. Also because D series tranny's are cheap and reliable, they should hold up to the H22. So basically what im asking is just for advice or comments letting me know what you think.
You need to get in contact with Honda-tech member H-CAR. His shop is in San Antonio TX.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/h-car-rhd-h2d-ef-hatch-3067455/
Old 09-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Please explain why oh why you want to run a d16y8 trans on a h22?
The reason i am going d series there is a less demand for the trannys = cheaper they can take a beating, Plus i wouldn't have to get axles, shift linkage, mounts, etc.. Also ou can get just as much power out of the d series tranny as you would b or h, want something no one else has around my area lol
Old 09-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few points I might add about the h2b vs h2d. As I have put together an h2b and not to long ago did some research on the h2d in the ef chassis.

1)the d series transmission is longer that the b series transmission so with that being said your going to have to cut quite a bit of metal away from the drivers site frame rail ( this was the reason I didn't do this route). I'm a little weary of cutting on a frame on a street car. The b series trans you could get around cutting with single crank pulley/ after market crank pulley.

2) the gearing of the ex trans is almost identical to the LS transmission. With that being said
there are better oem gearing options for the base ls trans ( vtec 3rd, 4th, 5th gear options) or just use your b16 transmission

3) With the h2b kit you could go with the QSD h2b kit ( I reccomend) and use Your b series mounts, axles, shift linkage and would be much cheaper than the $1700 bisi kit.

Just my .02
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@dpine, Hey thanks for the input it really does help because I'm not for sure what I'm going yet. What do you think about f23a1 with h22 head and jdm d15 tranny or jdm b16 tranny. And also I've been hearing about about the b20v, what do you think about it?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@dpine, Hey thanks for the input it really does help because I'm not for sure what I'm going yet. What do you think about f23a1 with h22 head and jdm d15 tranny or jdm b16 tranny. And also I've been hearing about about the b20v, what do you think about it?
In the end for me it comes down to budget. I would buy an H22A long block and either reuse the b16 tranny or buy another B series tranny. The cost of the bisi/evolution kit to me comes out being more expensive then the QSD kit and either reusing your B series stuff or even buying new mounts, axles, shift linkage with everthing else being equal.

There is more envolved in swapping a H22a head on to a F series block than just "swapping the head". I would do either an f series engine or an H series engine not mix and match (atleast not for a DD) I like the F23A idea for a street motor because its a cheaper engine, has good torque for the $$, and has low compression so that one could run low grade gas if needed.

If you were just going to stay with a B series motor then I would just buy a JDM b18c (GSR) and call it a day. Like I have said I'm not much on tearing into motors that I would use as a DD for reliability purposes.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Crx/Ef Hatch going H2D (Bisimoto)

Just thought I would chime in. Many of our clients have ran H2D kits both on street and race vehicles with out any issue, being the D-series transmissions can handle much more abuse than many presume. Not to mention are much more cost effective and are much more readily available than B-series tranny's.

With the Bisimoto H2D kit, it simplifies many things making it very simple to swap in an H/F-series engine into a CRX. Which includes custom engine mounts, lightweight SFI approved flywheel, zinc plated adapter plate and hardware. What really save cost is that it retains the factory d-series transmission, axles, and shift linkage.

Also someone mentioned the cost and made a typo. The kit is not* $1,708, the pricing is only $1,078 making it the most cost effective way to drop in a H22 into your CRX.

I do agree with Dpine about swapping an H22 cylinder head onto an F23 block. It is much more involved than just a simple head swap. I recommend investing on a H22 long block which will be much more cost effective and simplify your build.