Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up?

Mine seems to be taking a lot of my oil, but I havent had i draining back into the block. I have to add about a half a quart every 200-300 miles. Plus, it seemed that the intake manifold was just sucking the oil right out of the catch can. I put an inline filter betweent he valve and the mani, but that didnt help anything. Now, I have it draining back into the block so I'll see if that makes a difference. Also, I am just letting the catch can vent without a PCV valve. The reason I am trying this is because of the fact that it seemed the intake manifold was sucking oil through the PCV valve.

Cliff notes: Original setup-PCV w/o a drain back into the block; Current setup-no PCV with drain back into block.

Thoughts/Ideas/Criticisms
Old 11-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (Jeff C)

are you supposed to burn oil? because my oil level doesn't decrease at all, even after 3k miles.

jay Kim
Old 11-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (AllMotorMonster)

are you supposed to burn oil?
No, I am pretty sure that its not burning oil. Mine just hit 3900 miles.
When I would drain the catch can, it would be about half full. Thats where my oil would go. I have only had it draining back into the block since saturday so I'll have to see if this method works.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (AllMotorMonster)

He is not necessarily burning oil, however, he should not be getting oil into the intake. That is the whole reason for the catch can/oil seperator setup. You need the PCV for the system to work properly, and the drain into the block definitely helps. You are just getting alot of oil vapour in you crankcase, and the PCV system is trapping it properly. Without the drain, the oil level will get high enough that it will eventually get sucked back into the manifold. I had to drain the catch can about once every 500 miles when I was beating on the motor, or else the intake would suck the oil right back in. I had the scare of my life on day when the tank got too full, and I started puffing oil like there was no tomorrow. I had just been beating the poor thing pretty hard, and I thought I'd blown the motor.

Now that you have a drain on the can back into the block, put a PCV valve back into the system, and all should work well.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (Jaker)

Is there a way to cut down the vacuum going to the valve? To me, it seems like there is too much vacuum, if there is such a thing?
Old 11-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (Jeff C)

The way the system works, the PCV will remain closed when there is no vacuum. Wide open throttle generally means no vacuum. The only time the valve will open is during high vacuum situations, like when you're cruising along at part throttle. This also happens to be the best time for the crankcase air/vapors to be recirculated through the engine.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTECers: How is your PCV system holding up? (Jaker)