Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRVTEC swap smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRVTEC swap smog legal?

I am getting ready to do a b20 swap into an ek hatch and i was wondering if the swap is going to be smog legal. Say the body is a 97 hatch, and the motor consists of a 97-98 b20 block and an older (b16a) head. Will I have problems smogging this in CA? What if i used the head off a 99-00 Si instead? Thanks....
Old 08-05-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (Rydaddy)

I could be wrong but I don't think any of that has anything to do w/ smog issues....as long as you are running a cat you should be straight. Not sure about the laws in CA, but I know that most states the law is that you can really tech. swap your motor out for the same year or newer then the body. But I could be wrong on that too. Just something I heard.

Peace
Old 08-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple answer. No you cannot pass smog.

If the tech doesn't tell you to go to a Smog ref. your safe. 99.999999% of the techs will tell you to go to a smog ref.

There he will run the engine code and see that you have a NON-VTEC block. DONE.

Plus, they want documentation about what ECU goes with what engine and what not. Basically you cannot modify the engine in such an obvious way.

[Modified by Spade, 9:29 AM 8/5/2002]
Old 08-05-2002, 08:34 AM

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (Spade)

Wow didn't know CA was that crazy.....sorry i was talkin out of my ***....I guess i am thinkin of Maryland emissions test....that is the only thing we have here, lucky us.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:15 PM

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (jdm4life)

It wont even pass a visual inspection. And saying that it does then you might be able to pass smog..then your good for a couple of years right? WRONG..ive seen this happen so many times. If you get pulled over by a cop and he says pop your hood and he suspects something and gives you a referee ticket...then your screwed because the referee isnt going to let it pass. Your best bet is a gsr motor, possibly a h22a. But i heard a h22a wont pass by a referee because it isnt a direct bolt on (you have to use placeracing or hasport mounts). Has anyone heard this before??
Old 08-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (C5_ALLMOTOR)

sorry about this question.. but where i live.. there is no visual.. just pass air care... i live in canada... we dont have visuals here...
so with visuals out of the way.. using oem parts in the crv/ls vtec, would it pass smog?

we just plug somethign up to the exhuast here.. im not sure what is really done... but yah, sorry about the question again...
Old 08-08-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (Spade)

If the tech doesn't tell you to go to a Smog ref. your safe. 99.999999% of the techs will tell you to go to a smog ref.

Plus, they want documentation about what ECU goes with what engine and what not. Basically you cannot modify the engine in such an obvious way.
there has to be ways around that....

for example, what vtec?

that is a B20B/GSR head, yet no "DOHC vtec" on the valve cover. you can easily swap the ecu to a non vtec one just for that day and as long as all you emission stuff is in place, you should be fine

but, then again I'm in Canada...so who knows
Old 08-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRVTEC swap smog legal? (T.O.tegs)

there has to be ways around that....

for example, what vtec?

that is a B20B/GSR head, yet no "DOHC vtec" on the valve cover. you can easily swap the ecu to a non vtec one just for that day and as long as all you emission stuff is in place, you should be fine

but, then again I'm in Canada...so who knows
they will know vtec badge or not.........
Old 08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the block doesn't match the head, it won't pass.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:59 AM
New User

anytime u interchange motor parts like a head or a block it will be illegal. what you MIGHT be able to do is keep the b20 non-vtec and try to get your BAR certificate throught the state refs...when you do get the sticker...slap on the vtec head on...im thinking next time u take it to a regular smog station the techs there will be like,"well if the refs say this thing is alright then it gotta be alright"...

I have a BAR sticker for my jdm B18C and no where does it say vtec or non-vtec...just says its a 1995 integra 1.8L motor...ur the safest if you can purchase a USDM CRV motor....some refs will allow JDM however...but really they are not suppose to if they follow the actual percise lettering of the state smog regulations...depends who you go to
Old 08-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that is a nice looking motor.
smog testing what is that....
<<<<<lives in tennessee where there is no smog testing...for now