Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of B20 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of B20 questions

Looking at swapping a B20 into a 95 del sol for a track car.

I know the intake manifold needs to be swapped, since it won't clear the hoodline. Will the B20 with say, a GSR intake mani clear the hood? Or do I HAVE to swap out the head as well?

Also, BAR is only California, right? I live in Az, and I'd like it to be street legal here. thanks!

John
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSR intake manifold doesn't fit B20 block. You need to use a PR4 manifold from either a B18A or B18B.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Couple of B20 questions (Aodhan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking at swapping a B20 into a 95 del sol for a track car.

I know the intake manifold needs to be swapped, since it won't clear the hoodline. Will the B20 with say, a GSR intake mani clear the hood? Or do I HAVE to swap out the head as well?

Also, BAR is only California, right? I live in Az, and I'd like it to be street legal here. thanks!

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you need it to be street legal for a track car???
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Couple of B20 questions (h22crxpwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why do you need it to be street legal for a track car???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because I also want to drive it on occasion around town, and/or to sol meets, and probably driving it to the track as well.

John
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm pretty sure you don't have the same restrictions as california so go build it and have fun! lucky people with no smogs or anything! damn in California its hard to build a street car. either pulled over every 5 mins, or ref ticket, or fails smog, damn! anyway sway the intake manifold with a b18a or b18b manifold and you are good to go! oh and yeah a GSR intake mani does not fit a B20 head. you have to swap the whole vtec head over to run the gsr intake. although that is a VERY good setup. i've seen very good dyno #'s from stock block B20Vtecs....
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm pretty sure you don't have the same restrictions as california so go build it and have fun! lucky people with no smogs or anything! damn in California its hard to build a street car. either pulled over every 5 mins, or ref ticket, or fails smog, damn! anyway sway the intake manifold with a b18a or b18b manifold and you are good to go! oh and yeah a GSR intake mani does not fit a B20 head. you have to swap the whole vtec head over to run the gsr intake. although that is a VERY good setup. i've seen very good dyno #'s from stock block B20Vtecs....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but that will increase the horsepower too much for my application, I'm thinking. The Del Sol Si starts in the F class for the Time Trial classifications, and one of the primary determinations is hp/wt ratio. Since my Si only comes in at 17 hp less, and the B20 will weigh more than the D, I'm hoping the base class will remain F. Once I add all the mods, switch out seats, belts, yadda yadda, I'm probably bumping up 2 classes. I think the Sol could be VERY competitive as a D class, not so sure about a C. If I get bumped up to E to start anyway, then I might look at doing the VTEC conversion.

Also, if I end up blowing the engine, with a base B20, it's $750 and I'm out the door again (Of course, I guess that holds true even if I VTEC convert it, unless I crack the head or something...)

John
Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, but that will increase the horsepower too much for my application, I'm thinking. The Del Sol Si starts in the F class for the Time Trial classifications, and one of the primary determinations is hp/wt ratio. Since my Si only comes in at 17 hp less, and the B20 will weigh more than the D, I'm hoping the base class will remain F. Once I add all the mods, switch out seats, belts, yadda yadda, I'm probably bumping up 2 classes. I think the Sol could be VERY competitive as a D class, not so sure about a C. If I get bumped up to E to start anyway, then I might look at doing the VTEC conversion.

Also, if I end up blowing the engine, with a base B20, it's $750 and I'm out the door again (Of course, I guess that holds true even if I VTEC convert it, unless I crack the head or something...)

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool good luck! i thought it was a drag car sorry! well anyway if they bump you up a class the GSR head will be a great addition. huge increase in power. there are also very budget ways to increase power with that setup. feel free to PM me if you want a more detailed explanation. good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22crxpwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cool good luck! i thought it was a drag car sorry! well anyway if they bump you up a class the GSR head will be a great addition. huge increase in power. there are also very budget ways to increase power with that setup. feel free to PM me if you want a more detailed explanation. good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, I will. Drag just has no appeal, if I was going to do drag, I'd just build up the D and boost it. (Which oddly enough was my original plan when I just wanted a zippy DD to take to meets.)

John