Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway..

Right now I have just a stock b16a2.. now if I were to buy JUST the ITR short block and threw my b16a2 head on it.. now aside from the intake manifold, itr cams, and itr throttle body.. wouldnt I technically have a complete Type-r motor? I'll also be using the b16a ys1 tranny which has same gear ratios as the type-r as well minus the lsd and final drive.... I guess I'm asking this becuase this is what I might do... but if there is some other detail i'm leaving out please "enlighten" me
Old 01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway.. (SlowAssB16a)

the rest of the ITR parts that you will NOT have are still a big part of the ITR power recipe.

you will have a wicked setup, but it will be underpowered when compared to an all-ITR setup, but you can do better than stock ITR with a few mods, mostly big cams and a matching valvetrain.. Jun3 / Skunk2 stg2 / Toda C, etc
Old 01-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway.. (owen_the_soyboy)

the rest of the ITR parts that you will NOT have are still a big part of the ITR power recipe.

you will have a wicked setup, but it will be underpowered when compared to an all-ITR setup, but you can do better than stock ITR with a few mods, mostly big cams and a matching valvetrain.. Jun3 / Skunk2 stg2 / Toda C, etc

Well right.. I plan on putting new springs and ctr cams on the b16a head.. i already have the itr intake manifold and the ITR tb won't be a problem either.. all i'm saying is if i have all this then bascially its an ITR longblock right? anyone?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway.. (SlowAssB16a)

Looks like a plan, the type r and b16 heads are the same thing, except for most of the moving parts. The rocker arms are most likely the same but the lost motion assembly on the itr might be diff to accomedate the bigger lift on itr cams. Type r valves are lighter also. Thats all I can think of now.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:50 AM
X0

Default Re: could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway.. (leadfoot78)

Sorry to jump into your thread, but...
Is it worthwhile to make an ITR head out of a b16 head? I know it's the same casting, but isn't it cheaper to just buy an ITR over changing the cams, valves, etc. from the b16 to make the same thing? I have a b16 too so this would kinda help me out as well.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: could be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway.. (BAdMutHA)

Sorry to jump into your thread, but...
Is it worthwhile to make an ITR head out of a b16 head? I know it's the same casting, but isn't it cheaper to just buy an ITR over changing the cams, valves, etc. from the b16 to make the same thing? I have a b16 too so this would kinda help me out as well.

hmmm.. I'm not sure about that.. but I guess it all depends on what route you're going to take.. I plan on putting ctr cams BUT for those who want to use jun, toda, or skunk which are more aggressive liftwise would probably just use the b16 head they have since they were going to do those upgrades with the stock ITR head anyway.. but for me I dunno exactly what route i'm going to take.. if anything I'm going to plan it out right so I dont regret it later like i usually do