Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COOLING ishue in a B18C OR B16B into civic EK 96 swap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLING ishue in a B18C OR B16B into civic EK 96 swap??

Hey guys !

Im going to do soon this swap in my EK 96 coupe.
My question is my radiator will be good enough 4 the new engine ?

I dont shore if my radiator is 1 or 2 cores (the engine is the D16y8) I have attached a URL with a picture (http://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg...51631)?
If u think that i have to replace it what r my options ?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: COOLING ishue in a B18C OR B16B into civic EK 96 swap?? (loverboy)

Anybody please ?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

it's not going to be an issue at all
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: (Bense)

R u shoure ??
I think i have the one core radiator and i dont know if he will be strong enough 4 the B18c or b16b rad'.
Any way, which double core radiator (from other honda model) can i transplant without modfications ?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

stock will be fine, if you want to upgrade for extra insurance go for it
Old 07-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (loverboy)

You have a single core. While it will work, I would reccomend upgrading to a del sol dual core or 99-00 si radiator. For $100, its a cheap upgrade.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

Thanks Hybrid96EK !
but we dont have the del sol nor the si models around here ! is there any other honda model which his rad' will be good ?
Buy the way what do u mean 100$ ? from where ?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:04 AM

Thanks Hybrid96EK !
but we dont have the del sol nor the si models around here ! is there any other honda model which his rad' will be good ?
Buy the way what do u mean 100$ ? from where ?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 AM
Go Tigers!

Why don't you just use the stock radiator, it will work fine.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why don't you just use the stock radiator, it will work fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While thats certainly an option, its not the first one I would choose. You have to ask yourself why Honda put the dual core radiators in all the DOHC Vtec engine equipped Civics.. There IS a reason and it is needed to a point. Like I told him, the stock unit will suffice if you are in a pinch, but it should be upgraded to provide the proper levels of cooling for the engine in question.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a gsr in my ek and ive been using my stock CX radiator for 2+years with NO overheating issues
Old 07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a gsr in my ek and ive been using my stock CX radiator for 2+years with NO overheating issues </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people either don't like to read, are shallow minded, or just like to post for thier health. I'm not sure what your intentions were with your post. I already said the stock will suffice. I never said its going to overheat. I DID say that I would personally follow Hondas "example" and install the larger 2 core radiator myself. While you may not be able to SEE the difference on your temp gauge the larger radiator will make, its going to help over the stock single core. Is it a 100% must? Of course not. But neither is running premium fuel. I mean, you could get away with regular so why not, right?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

While thats certainly an option, its not the first one I would choose. You have to ask yourself why Honda put the dual core radiators in all the DOHC Vtec engine equipped Civics.. There IS a reason and it is needed to a point. Like I told him, the stock unit will suffice if you are in a pinch, but it should be upgraded to provide the proper levels of cooling for the engine in question.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess we shouldn't be putting F/H series in our civics then if honda said not to do it.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guess we shouldn't be putting F/H series in our civics then if honda said not to do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no problem with engine swaps... But I feel that the engineers that designed the setup knew what they were doing. If I was going to swap either of these engines, I would also reccomend increasing the cooling system capacity. Apparently all of you who whish to argue completely missed the point of my response.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid96EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Apparently all of you who whish to argue completely missed the point of my response.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody is going to take you seriously until you provide us with facts. "Word of mouth" on the internet isn't enough. You have to give us a lot more details other than "blah blah blah honda engineers decided to use this radiator in the del sol vtec"

Have you done benchmarking with water temperature sensors with the thermostat removed?

I'm saying that it's fine. What about a b16 makes it require more cooling than a d16?

I guess if I upgrade a delsol vtec b16 block to a gsr block i better get the full length integra radiator right? Because I mean, honda saw fit to put a larger radiator for the 1.8 than they did for the 1.6
Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nobody is going to take you seriously until you provide us with facts. "Word of mouth" on the internet isn't enough. You have to give us a lot more details other than "blah blah blah honda engineers decided to use this radiator in the del sol vtec"

Have you done benchmarking with water temperature sensors with the thermostat removed?

I'm saying that it's fine. What about a b16 makes it require more cooling than a d16?

I guess if I upgrade a delsol vtec b16 block to a gsr block i better get the full length integra radiator right? Because I mean, honda saw fit to put a larger radiator for the 1.8 than they did for the 1.6</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess if you need me to point out the obvious, I will.

Its not a matter of "word of mouth". Its a matter of understanding how/why things work. You see it all the time in the automotive industry. Larger, heavier duty, "race bred", etc. engines almost always, if not always, have larger more efficient cooling systems. Coincidence? I think not. Look at the rather large oil capacity the DOHC Vtec engines have. Whats one of the main purposes of engine oil? Cooling, once again. Why did Honda put oil squirters for the piston skirts on the thrust sides? Cooling once again. The coolant necks/radiator hoses are even larger on the DOHC Vtec engines compared to thier SOHC counterparts.

The Integra engine uses a full size radiator that has more surface area over the half sized Civic radiator. I am not sure if its a dual core design, I believe its a single core. If I knew for sure it was dual/single I could argue more about it. I did read of a test a guy on the Hybrid website did comparing a dual core Civic radiator and the full sized Integra radiator. Here is the link if you would like to review it for yourself...

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/jsrad/jsrad.html

Anyway you slice it you can't tell me that increasing the amount of coolant the system can hold would not help. An internal combustion gasoline engine is hardly efficient as I am sure you already know. They produce quite a bit of heat which as a result of trying to produce power/torque from burning the air/fuel mixture. This is wasted energy. Heat is also created as a result of friction. Again, more moving parts, more heat is created. The need for an increase in cooling capacity becomes more relavant at this point. Sitting in traffic idling on a 100 degree day will further stress the stock Civic cooling capacity as well. Can you suffice and "get by" with the stock radiator? Sure can. Did it myself as a matter of fact for a few weeks before I put in the dual core. I know it works, did it myself. Thats not my point. Review what I typed above for my point...

I never did the test with the thermostat out, or even in for that matter. It didn't matter to me. It was a simple concept that made complete sense. What would adding a dual core HURT and why should I be concerned enough to do a test anyways? I didn't expect to ever have to explain something like this in such depth. I figured the concept was simple enough no one would tend to argue like this over it.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Go Tigers!

Wow, I am not arguing with you the advantage of a larger coolant capacity, that is obvious.

I am saying that his stock radiator will do the job fine, as it does for everyone else. Sitting in 100 degree weather is the job of the radiator fan. You can have a 9000rpm engine with 300whp out of a 1.6 liter engine. But sitting at idle in traffic is going to be just like any other engine.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I am not arguing with you the advantage of a larger coolant capacity, that is obvious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, that makes me feel a little better. I was trying to point this out the whole time. Remember, I never said the stock single core Civic radiator won't "do the job"...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am saying that his stock radiator will do the job fine, as it does for everyone else. Sitting in 100 degree weather is the job of the radiator fan. You can have a 9000rpm engine with 300whp out of a 1.6 liter engine. But sitting at idle in traffic is going to be just like any other engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fans job is to move air across the surface of the radiator to exchange heat. Obviously if you move air across a larger volume of coolant you will increase the efficiency. Thats my point. Does it NEED it? Obviously not. Is it a wise idea? If you ask me, yes.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM
OG Tech

I have an 97' ITR swap in my car using the stock radiator and it starts to overheat if I am doing long distant driving going up hill and road racing(then i put my heater on full blast and the temp. gauge goes back to normal). You should upgrade to a bigger radiator if you are going to do alot of road racing or long distant traveling. If you are going to use it for a daily driver to take u from point A to point B, then i wouldn't worry.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM

I 100% agree with you !
Nobody i didnt asked if i have to replace the rad' but if it recomended ! it is quite simple that a a bigger engine whos rev r pretty high will work in a greater temprature, the stock rad' maby will work fine but i assure u it will work in a larger tem value it designed for!
It is known that if the engine will run in a larger of temp' value the air that us used for combustion is heater and more combresible which means that the "impact" on the piston as a result from the combustion will be weacker (which means less power). As much as the combustion air is cooler the "impact" will be stronger cause of the less compresible air !
The ware of the engine will probably will be noticed after few years or more !
So the question isnt if the stock rad' will "do" the job is a matter of how do you care your engine !

Any way what will you sugget me to do ? which rad' should i buy if im going to swap a b18c5 or b16b into my EK ?
Is the koyo rad' on Ebay worth somthing ? which company would u reccomend ?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
OG Tech

this one
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1948360
Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: (EGfosho)

Thanks ! it seems very professional, but its a little bit expensive - $250.
More suggestions anybody ??
Old 08-04-2007, 04:07 PM
OG Tech

cheaper than a koyo, fluidine, factory del sol radiator. Honda dealership wants $345 for just the radiator and cap. The link i sent you comes with a radiator, 1.1bar cap, and fan. It's $155 without the fan. Never buy a used one because that **** might be fucked up with a leak or the doesn't hold any pressure. The cheap Ebay radiators are so cheap that the caps just pop off and it will never hold pressure, so u just end up having ur car overheating all the time. Just do ur research before u buy anything.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: (EGfosho)

Ok Guys so these are my options what do you say:
1.mishimoto rad (46mm core depth)- $150+$65 delivery
Link: http://www.turbogoods.com/inde...ID=80

2. mishimoto rad + 1300CFM fan neukin brackets (46mm core depth) - $230+$95 delivery
Link: http://www.turbogoods.com/inde...ID=96

3. visteon rad' + spal fan (1"=25.4mm core depth) - $259+$60
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...h=017

4. KOYO rad' (2.09"=53mm) - $280+$105
Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...:US:1

What would u choose ?