Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant mystery.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant mystery.......

I have a boosted Ls/Vtec in a 95 teg and you about 2 years now I have been having coolant issues. I cant figure it out. First of all, I can never get all the bubbles out of the coolant, They are not big, just little tiny ones but they keep coming. I have planed the head twice to make sure it was'nt that. I have tried Cometic Head gaskets, and OEM gaskets but still no fix. I have put on a new water pump. still no change. A long time ago I removed the weatehr striping from the cowl and the plastic insert behond the batterie to help promote air flow under the hood. I smell coolant in the car all the time (when running) and there is coolant being used because I have to top up the overflow bottle every couple of thousand KMS. The car is not burning the coolant (i dont think) there is no smoke from the exhaust. I have rebuilt the motor twice since having the car modded where I checked thouroghly for cracked sleeves, they were perfect. I have to bore the block .20 over because of a slight skratch in one of the cylinders. My though is that there is coolant leaking out of one of the hoses near teh Intake manifold but I cant seem to find any. Can i just remove those hoses and block it off? The car is only used during the summer months so im not worried about freezing throttle body. I have had some people suggest the heater core but I dont see any coolant inside anywhere. Although I have'nt visually inspected the core. Oh and BTW there is nothing leaking (that is, nothing hitting the ground anyway) What do you guys think?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you ever had the head surfaced and pressure tested?
usually bubbles in the coolant like that is exhaust.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (v4lu3s)

you probably got a leak in your heater core. Try to bypass the heater core by looping the heater hose. After that, pay attention to your coolant level.