Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 05:48 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks

For those not wanting a large battery or for those who want a smaller battery with still a good amount of CCAs, here's something that we picked up a couple of weeks ago (this one is going into my DA daily driver since the IC piping needs to go where the stock battery is.... will have picts this weekend of it) but here are some picts of how small it is.....

Refurb'd but the other battery we got with it seems to be working fine on my co-worker's car for over a week now (daily driven EG). They are sealed-lead rechargabel batteries (labled as Hawker but w/out paying for the name). Bought it from http://www.surplusev.com and it's deep cycle, it weighs 11.5 lbs and is non-spillable, meaning you can mount it in any orientation.

CCA, measured at 0 degrees F don't matter **** here in Seattle. You want to look at HCA (Hot Cranking Amps @ 80F) and MCA (Marine Cranking Amps @ 32F). HCA is 440. MCA is 360. CCA, just for sake of inclusion is 280. Short-circuit current is 1600.

If you buy 2 of them, they're $25 each. I'll have some picts of it in the car but the size of it should be enough to give you an idea of how small these are.

Old 06-23-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (Newman)

dayam $25 for a battery?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I could stand to lose some weight in my front end! Looks good!
Old 06-23-2003, 06:30 PM

Default Re: (SleeprCivic)

I've got one in my CRX... unfortunately, I paid $106 for the Hawker labbled version.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dayam $25 for a battery? </TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend used a lawnmower battery that he brought for $18 at wal-mart for 8 months and it last until he sold his car. He had a built B18c R motor.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My friend used a lawnmower battery that he brought for $18 at wal-mart for 8 months and it last until he sold his car. He had a built B18c R motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As long as it's a 12V battery that has enough CCAs to crank up your motor each time w/out having to worry about a dead battery with a stereo (mild one for that matter), then that's another possibility but I've yet to see a lawn mower battery with more than 150 CCAs that was cheap. Maybe a motorcycle battery battery but those aren't that cheap either.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As long as it's a 12V battery that has enough CCAs to crank up your motor each time w/out having to worry about a dead battery with a stereo (mild one for that matter), then that's another possibility but I've yet to see a lawn mower battery with more than 150 CCAs that was cheap. Maybe a motorcycle battery battery but those aren't that cheap either.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, he didnt have stereo. I forget the CCA on that battery. The next time that i am at Lowes, i will check.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (turbogixxer)

**** for those prices you can get one for your car and for the stereo!! hehe
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (Jason kiDD)

Im diggin that battery, especially since the price seems unreal for a car battery.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (junglerunna02)

excellent post
Old 06-25-2003, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (owen_the_soyboy)

yes, very excellent post. I also paid over $100 for my Odyssey labeled hawker. Looks the exact same as yours except, yours is five pounds lighter?!
Oh well. Have to keep that in mind next time around.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (liquid51)

that battery looks small enough to put in the palm of my hand. awesome

Old 06-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The alternator runs all the car's electrical systems when the car is running so the battery size won't matter unless your stereo/car is drawing consistently more than the alternator can provide. Other than that you should have no problems running the smallest thing that'll let you start up the car.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:21 AM
New User

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (hot_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that battery looks small enough to put in the palm of my hand. awesome
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It IS that small and fits pretty well into the palm of my hand

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bnjmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The alternator runs all the car's electrical systems when the car is running so the battery size won't matter unless your stereo/car is drawing consistently more than the alternator can provide. Other than that you should have no problems running the smallest thing that'll let you start up the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but it's the CCA ratings that tell you how much current it has to pull from on a cold start, and something less than 150 (like a lawn mower battery)
Old 06-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I checked those links and still didn't see cold cranking amps - does anyone know for sure what those smaller batteries are rated at?

I'm in GA where winters can get pretty cold - I need good CCAs y0!

I have a few friends with the Dynabat and T1R batteries in their cars with no problems, but they were specifically for our cars and had the same CCas as most off the shelf 30lb. batteries.

TIA!
Old 06-25-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (B18C5-EH2)

"These NEW batteries are 5 months to 1.5 years old, but have not been cycled other than for testing. Only batteries that perform to the Hawker specification (10 minutes reserve at 40 amps discharge to 10.00 volts) will be shipped. "

What does it mean by this? The batteries being 5mths - 1 and half old?

Old 06-25-2003, 01:13 PM

well i dont know much about batteries..but i do have a question...

-sometimes i play music from my car for about 20-30 mins..would it still able to start my car..?

- it is good in the winter..cause it gets really damn cold here..?
Old 06-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (eg6h8k)

depending on how big your system is and how loud you play 20-30 minutes with the car off could kill an optima yellow top with no problem.
With these little batteries your car-off playing time will be limited- even more so by systems with amp(s), but it is pretty impossible to put a # on it.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have a few friends with the Dynabat and T1R batteries in their cars with no problems, but they were specifically for our cars and had the same CCas as most off the shelf 30lb. batteries.

TIA!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both the Type 1 and Spoon batteries are Hawker Genesis batteries that are bought under OEM license, rebadged, and sold at an inflated price. The battery he is showing in his pictures an a debadged Hawker Genesis battery, so basically if he were to throw T1R stickers on it, it would be a Type 1 battery.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked those links and still didn't see cold cranking amps - does anyone know for sure what those smaller batteries are rated at?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I emailed the people about this, because in NJ winters are even colder than where you are. Here is what he said.

" have seen 270 to 350 when starting a motorcycle"
Old 06-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I really dont know a whole lot about batteries but this one seems like a very good deal from what I am reading
I have a very basic system (door speakers, amp and sub) but I never have it on while the car is not running
and I do alot of road racing and autoX as well as daily drive
do you think I would be able to get away with a battery like this?
I would really like something this size in order to make room for my huge *** moroso catch can
Old 06-26-2003, 08:53 AM
New User

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (ITRacer121)

Well, I have a MP3 head unit with 4 speakers and an amplified Bazooka sub in my car (daily driver so I need some beats ) but I'm throwing on a turbo kit tomorrow so I'll be using my battery small for this car to make room for the IC piping, but I'll take some pictures of it and let you know how it works out. With the volt-meter right now, it's reading close to 13V so it's all charged up and ready for use.

Old 06-26-2003, 09:05 AM

So... Is 270 to 350 CCA's enough to start my car in a normal winter?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff!!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks (ian)

Good stuff, may have to pick a few up then

Quick Reply: Cool/Small battery for all you Hybrid folks