Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Civic sounds like a Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic sounds like a Subaru

Hey everyone,

I am hoping you guys can help me diagnose my problem.

I have a 97 EK that I had previously swapped a B18C1 into. The car ran fine but the shop that had rebuilt the engine had installed the hastings oil control rings upside down so I was going through a ton of oil.

I just finished rebuilding that same engine with new seals and new piston rings (that's when we figured out the previous rings were upside down)

I put the engine back in, reconnected everything and the car has trouble starting and sounds like a Subaru.

It sounds like an ignition or fuel issue as I have pinpointed that cylinder 3 is not firing.

When I start the engine and remove the plugs one by one, only cylinder 3 dows not make any changes to the engine.

I tried another known plug wire with 0 change. I will check continuity in the wire tonight.

The injector on that cylinder is within spec at 12.3 ohms of resistance and is getting the same voltage as the other injectors when I put the ignition to ACC so it shouldn't be a loose wire.

There is no oil or fuel on the plug when I remove it and I have yet to compression test this new motor.

The car idles at 850 rpms and revs ok. Timing is spot on, I am using the same distributor as before, the same wires, the same plugs, the same cam gear settings, the same injectors, the same wiring.

The dizzy has the correct firing order, the plug wires are in the right holes and the injector plugs are matched to the correct injector.

I will compression test it tonight to make sure the cylinder is healthy.

Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic sounds like a Subaru

Well I think I'm effed compression is 210 210 30 205. Crap crap crap

This is way too far off to be a valve adjustment
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Civic sounds like a Subaru

Time for leakdown test....